2015 Boston Marathon Thread (Read 689 times)

bhearn

Allowable items for official participants: Runners may carry the following items on race day. Any such items are subject to inspection at any time.

• A one gallon clear plastic bag to carry food items or sports drink only. This bag is subject to search. (only one clear plastic bag pack per runner)..

Well that's a nice change from last year, when no bags were allowed, period.

Or maybe not. My runner's passport clearly says no bags on the buses, period.

Julia1971

No. Definitely not. It's again looking like another fun run for me,

I think I was confusing E and W.

(Sigh).

And, thanks for explaining the pacing strategy.  I'm going to try to start slower this year.  And, I've been doing more hill work so I'm hoping I might have more in my legs this year to run that final stretch strong if not fast.

bhearn

bhearn, for shits and giggles can I see what a 3:10 band would look like?

Sure. Here you go.

Thanks!

Sure. Here you go.

bhearn

If I go for it it's gotta be a PR (2:58:14). I'm not gonna kill myself again for a non-PR sub-3, like I did at Tucson. Just not worth it, I have other running goals. So I think it will be a 2:57: xx pace band, or a 3:15ish fun run.

OK X, this is what I'll be wearing on Monday if the wind miraculously switches direction. You are welcome to stick with me.

Otherwise I think it's gonna be a hobbyjog. I'm not going to pace for something I really have no business going for anyway, into 20+ mph headwind. Running is stupid, but I'm not quite that stupid.

lagwagon

Okay, I had to check...  Accuweather is showing 18 mph winds w/30 mph gusts out of the SE.  That is NYCM 2014-like winds.  But, isn't that the good direction for Boston.  PRs for everyone!

NWS is less pessimistic until late afternoon.  I'm going with that scenario. (but checking the 12z updates compulsively...didnt like the "gale" reference in the last update)

I"ll stick with 2:55 off of about 50mpw in jan, 60 in feb, and 70mpw in mar.  wasnt exactly the plan, but a lot of life happened (including one newly arrived) in Q1 so I'm very happy to be running it at all.

I'm happy with Bob's pacing rx because I can easily bail to sub-3 at mile 22 knowing I'll still have gas even if my legs cant hit the A goal.  Printing the band now!

Mysecondnewname

Or maybe not. My runner's passport clearly says no bags on the buses, period.

Are we allowed to use a garbage bag as a poncho?

bhearn

Yes

mikeymike

Flying home via Charlotte. Lots more skinny people than normal. Lots of Garmin watches on chicken bone wrists, and a few SWEET jackets as well.

Runners run

northernman

Fight The Future

Have decided to run without my footpod in hopes that my dying Garmin will make it the full 26.2 miles. So I won't have instant pace information. Which got me to wondering, how do you people that use pace bands moderate your speed so accurately? Do you check each mile, and if you're fast by 3 seconds, subtract 3 seconds worth of effort from your next mile?

I suppose this is all academic at this point, since the weather reports refuse to budge on the wind issue, and it's highly unlikely I will meet my goal. I'm surprised the forecasts have been so stubbornly consistent.

Running is hard enough.. I cant imagine trying to do math at the same time.

Do you check each mile, and if you're fast by 3 seconds, subtract 3 seconds worth of effort from your next mile?

And we run because we like it
                        Through the broad bright land

runnershawn

I wish I could pace, just going to hit start and run that way.  maybe start easy and finish strong Smile

bhearn

how do you people that use pace bands moderate your speed so accurately? Do you check each mile, and if you're fast by 3 seconds, subtract 3 seconds worth of effort from your next mile?

Basically, yeah. I have my Garmin display total time, total distance, and average lap pace. I try to keep the lap pace a few seconds faster than the target pace for the current mile (because it generally reads slightly long). At each mile marker, adjust my goal for the next mile based on how far off I am of the target split. When I do it this way, I'm almost always within 5 seconds of target splits at every mile.

Overkill, I know. But it keeps me honest. Of course at some point your sense of what you have left in you will take priority over the pace band. If things are going well that might be a mile or two from the finish, and you can start to push it. Or you might know at 16 that it's not gonna happen, and just run what you can.

mikeymike

How 'bout Ben True and Molly Huddle getting it done at the BAA 5k this morning. Both ran 5k road AR's (13:22 and 14:51).

Side note: Adidas must be pissed that 2 Saucony athletes swept their race.

Runners run

bhearn

Damn!