3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

December Mileage Throw-Down (Read 1970 times)

L Train

I'm not getting faster, in fact I'm getting slower from over-doing the volume and needing to go slower in order to get some semblance of recovery.  However, getting faster now is not the point (at least for me).

I get what you are saying re: periodization. I'm not really concerned, it's just something that feels strange.  As for the rest, I'd say what you and the rest of us are doing are two completely different sports.  Holy hell.

C-R

Hell no. No participant ribbons allowed. Its binary. W or L and either way we toast to the competition. As for getting slower I'm there too. I want this volume to help get ready for the racing. There's a beat down coming in Bean Town and I must get prepared.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

What are you guys talking about?  Who wants to run more to only get slower?

I feel like I'm in a sweet spot...the 80's are feeling good and I'm slowly throwing in more quality.  The strides are feeling good.  The 4 mile tempo on Monday (5:36 pace) felt great.  No participant shit around here.  Just knocking down the miles and showing signs of progress.  There's a lot of room to improve.

Let's see....a nice double today that puts you within 4 miles of the 226 and you "hope" to get the 226 with a few bonus miles.  BTW, nice double today.  pfetro and Greg C need to step it up in the final days.

Hoppity has surpassed the 226 mark today and is really putting on the pressure.  Might be hard to catch her as I'm nursing a couple sore spots and trying to stick to my training plan (if I skip my tempo I can avoid a recovery day and run more miles).

Mbehr, glad to see the 80 mile weeks are clicking so well.

Andy - 500+...damn man!!

And congrats to you too Rocken!   You guys are knocking them out!

Thanks!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

I feel like I'm in a sweet spot...the 80's are feeling good and I'm slowly throwing in more quality.  The strides are feeling good.  The 4 mile tempo on Monday (5:36 pace) felt great.  No participant shit around here.  Just knocking down the miles and showing signs of progress.  There's a lot of room to improve.

ditto this!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Oh, Rocken!  You did it with three days to spare.  Congratulations!

steph  

A Saucy Wench

Is there a baby spaniel yet? 

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Feeling the growl again

Typically my approach has been more like yours..mileage in the 80-100 range with full workout loads and I get progressively faster.  However, that was in years where I already had a rich base to build on.  Then came the time where I was running 60-odd mpw with full workouts and just getting progressively slower....since I was no longer doing the base I had been even workouts could not maintain my prior fitness level.

Periodization is about the end goal.  I'll run more slower now, if it means that I'm kicking butt better in the February-May timeframe.  I will certainly do better with this base to build on in January.  You had a good year last year so you can just come back and leverage that; I don't have a lot to leverage.  I am expecting very rapid improvements once I return to regular intense workouts in a few weeks.

MTA:  If it weren't for the lure of free beer I likely would have topped out at 120 and 400 for the month though, with a few more workouts.  I don't like totally cutting out the tempo stuff.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Feeling the growl again

Is there a baby spaniel yet? 

Nope.  I'm doing extra treadmill runs not to avoid being very far away though.  Could be in two minutes or two weeks (the due date).  Signals say sooner rather than later although the last 24 hours has been less dramatic.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

C-R

MTA:  If it weren't for the lure of free beer I likely would have topped out at 120 and 400 for the month though, with a few more workouts.  I don't like totally cutting out the tempo stuff.

fickin A

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

I'm with spaniel. I'm hoping a nice solid base will lead to faster racing this Spring. I signed up for Master Run Coach and generated a 21 week plan for a 5K in April. The plan started the last week in November and the base, or aerobic phase, runs through the end of January. Needless to say, my base may be a little bigger than initially planned, but that should be a good thing. Right?

It's great to see everyone hitting or on target to hit their goals.

500 miles in a month? That's just crazy.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

I'm with spaniel. I'm hoping a nice solid base will lead to faster racing this Spring. I signed up for Master Run Coach and generated a 21 week plan for a 5K in April. The plan started the last week in November and the base, or aerobic phase, runs through the end of January. Needless to say, my base may be a little bigger than initially planned, but that should be a good thing. Right?

It's great to see everyone hitting or on target to hit their goals.

500 miles in a month? That's just crazy.

This is pretty much me as well.  Though I started my second MRC plan a week later than you and am going for a March marathon with 

a local half and a local 10k a few weeks before.   We'll see...

And 500 is wild.

steph  

Slo

I signed up for Master Run Coach and generated a 21 week plan for a 5K in April. The plan started the last week in November

I've been eyeballing that very program ra. The web site is a little hoakie and I've been meaning to touch base with Nobby about it.

I've decided to go one more "self coached" session for my Spring Marathon and then possibly pull the trigger on a "coach" for either a fall marathon or spring of 2013. Jan 1 will put me exactly 20 weeks out for Green Bay.

I like the 5k thinking too. I'd love to find out how fast I could run one.

Feeling the growl again

And 500 is wild.

Anytime I start feeling all proud of myself, I just logstalk A1 and oggle his July count.