Beginners and Beyond

In Memorandum MonDAILIES (Read 68 times)

LRB

LRB

Um, yeah.

Now then, let's talk August 11, 2014.  My ass hurts!  And in other news, I don't like it. 

Today is a scheduled rest day for me but I do have a red cord session at 1:00 PM.  Nicole is off this week so my acting PT will be Tim, who never really talks but that is about to change as I bring out the life in people.  lol

You?

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I have 6 TM miles tonight because it's going to be in the 100s again.  PiYo after that.

Damaris

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Rest day. I will walk just a little and I have Pilates later

Marjorie

Cyberic

Sitting at the odffice this morning, staring at my monitors like a zombie. I just did a first screening of my emails of the past 4 weeks. Nothing interesting happened, LOL.

Oh well, this is how I earn money to pay for those beautiful trips.

Oh, running, yeah Smile  Hummm, 4.5 miles easy

Baboon

delicate flower

Happy Monday, and congratulations to everyone for surviving another weekend.   Weird...it doesn't feel like I beat the crap out of myself this weekend.  Probably because I didn't.  That will change today though as I have a track session on tap.  My last few track workouts have been 800's.  I am thinking of trying 400's again to see if I can do them any faster now.  Seeing you fine folks detail your track workouts though, it seems the natural progression is to go from 800's to 1200's?  I'm not doing my workouts with a goal race in mind though.  I'm just working on my speed (and it seems to be working).

No meetings on my calendar today?  Now I am certainly not complaining, but how is this possible??

<3

Mmmmm...beer

Hey everyone!

Last week was a lil crazy, didn't spend a lot of time on the 'net.  I was up at the main office, dreadmilling it all week at the hotel.  I seemed to have tweaked something in my right calf on my 20 mile LR on Saturday (schedule said 18, but it the weather was great and I was so happy to be running outside again that I added a couple of miles).  It was a lil tight during the run, and a lil sore afterwards, but not too bad.  Took yesterday off and then this morning I noticed that it was slightly swollen and discolored on the inner front side of my shin.  The soreness seems to be under the inner head of the gastrocnemius, which could be the soleus (I swear I've learned more about anatomy since becoming a runner than I ever did in school!).

So with that, I dropped the 9 w/ 5 @ HMP that was on tap for today and just did 7 easy.  I'll do 7 easy again tomorrow (keeps my mileage in line for the plan) and see how it feels before doing the 14 mile MLR that's scheduled for Wednesday.

Hope everyone has been well!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

StepbyStep-SH

9 miles this morning - 5 with the group and the other 4 running to and from the YMCA to meet up with them.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

LRB

Seeing you fine folks detail your track workouts though, it seems the natural progression is to go from 800's to 1200's? 

The tempo paced 1200's and VO2 max pace 1000's I do are more of a result of a Daniels tenet that at least 5 minutes be spent running at tempo pace and at least 3 minutes be spent at VO2 max pace than anything else.

400's are reserved for mile pace or faster and I usually only throw in an 800 or two as part of a ladder workout.

But remember, you have a dozen people doing a dozen different things following different training principles based on their goals, so the ideal thing to do would be to pick up a book on how to run faster so that you are following the principles of that particular author.

By doing that you will learn why what type of interval matters at what particular speed and it will give guidance and purpose to your training.  That is not to say you cannot get it without copying what others are doing, it just puts it into perspective and simplifies things.

Generally speaking though the longer the interval the slower the pace such as 1200's at 10k pace, 1000's at 5k pace, 400's at mile pace, but even then that is not always an absolute, just a general thing.

But based on that you can indeed craft your own workouts and get faster on your own absolutely!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Very slow run/walk at Lackland Air Force Base on Saturday morning.  Near the finish I turned a corner to head back to the gym and encountered some trainees doing a practice parade on the drill field.  I moved over to the far right to stay out of their way and kept on going to get to my path that would take me back to the gym.  The training instructors had a good sense of humor about it, calling out to me stuff like "Hey, you, run in step!" and "You're in a parade...run at attention!"   lol.

Sunday, I did my 45th race of 2014.   Report and photos at this link:   http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/18a75ce0cbb64969b8fc886535bfb414/resume#focus

Today is a non-run day.  Gail and I are planning to do weights after work.  We'll see how that works out, Monday is usually a busy work day for both of us, so see how we feel after we both get home.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Baboon

delicate flower

The tempo paced 1200's and VO2 max pace 1000's I do are more of a result of a Daniels tenet that at least 5 minutes be spent running at tempo pace and at least 3 minutes be spent at VO2 max pace than anything else.

400's are reserved for mile pace or faster and I usually only throw in an 800 or two as part of a ladder workout.

But remember, you have a dozen people doing a dozen different things following different training principles based on their goals, so the ideal thing to do would be to pick up a book on how to run faster so that you are following the principles of that particular author.

By doing that you will learn why what type of interval matters at what particular speed and it will give guidance and purpose to your training.  That is not to say you cannot get it without copying what others are doing, it just puts it into perspective and simplifies things.

Generally speaking though the longer the interval the slower the pace such as 1200's at 10k pace, 1000's at 5k pace, 400's at mile pace, but even then that is not always an absolute, just a general thing.

But based on that you can indeed craft your own workouts and get faster on your own absolutely!

So it sounds like 400's are not going to do me a whole ton of good then and I'd benefit more from increasing the intervals.  Yeah, initially when I started doing track workouts I just wanted to get a feel for them.  I've still only done six of them...still a lot to learn but I think they are helping.  Sounds like buying a book might be my next step.

<3

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

D2, ouch.  Hope it feels better.

Cyberic, you are back from vacation!  Get moving, eh?

Damaris

Zelanie

Morning!  Today I am meeting some folks early to go up to Zarcero, so I will run in the afternoon when I get back.  This week, I am moving things back a day since my flight will mess things up later in the week.  So today I have the first strength workout of the program- 6 x 1 mile (at 9 sec/mile faster than MP) with .25 recoveries.  11 total with warmup and cooldown.  A long workout, but a pretty relaxed pace.  Hopefully the intervals will help the time go by quickly!

LRB- I am definitely not ready to think about that weather!  Hope the ass is just sore from the bump in mileage, and nothing serious.

D- Good luck with the TM plus PiYo!

Marjorie- Enjoy the RD!

Cyberic- Good luck adjusting to being back.  I just opened my work email from here a couple of days ago and was scared away.

Phil- Ditto to what LRB said, most of the time, 400s and shorter are run fast to develop pure speed.  800s-1200s V02Max, and 1600s more for tempo repeats and lactate threshold, mostly because of the time that each of the intervals lasts if you are running them in those ranges.  According to Daniels, that would correspond to R pace (fastest), I pace (medium), and T pace (tempo), based on a recent race result.

That said, those of us on Hanson's are doing something different.  In our plan, he has us start out running at a pace that will eventually be our pace for the 1600s, and we start with a lot of reps of 400m at that pace, which feels slow (so, the focus is on running consistently throught the workout).  Then, each week, they add to the distance and cut down on the reps until we are eventually running 1600s at that pace, something that would have been very challenging at the start of the plan.  Instead, by the time we get there, it's a relief that we only have to run 3 reps!  The total distance each week stays the same, about 5K, and the pace is about 5K pace for each.  The buildup is 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1200, ladder, 1600, 800, 1600

D2- Hope the couple of easy days do the trick!  The nice thing about higher mileage is how well those easy days serve as recovery. Smile

Step- Nice run!

Scotty- Funny run!  You bring out the best in people.  Hope the work day isn't as busy as most Mondays.

DavePNW

Well I think the correct word is "memoriam" rather than "memorandum". But ah yes, good times.

Anyway, 7 easy this morning.

Dave

Half Crazy K 2.0

So it sounds like 400's are not going to do me a whole ton of good then and I'd benefit more from increasing the intervals.  Yeah, initially when I started doing track workouts I just wanted to get a feel for them.  I've still only done six of them...still a lot to learn but I think they are helping.  Sounds like buying a book might be my next step.

If you do shorter intervals, you can do a shorter rest. The Run Less, Run Faster plan has a workout that is 10 or 12 (can't remember how many) 400m intervals with 1 minute rest. The first few seem easy, the last few suck. Daniels has some stuff in his book as well about shorter intervals and shorter rest.