Low HR Training

"Expose Your Slow Twitchers" Daily Maffetone and/or Low-HR Training Reports (Read 23291 times)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Great job, Shoes!

I did 8 miles with 10 X 100m.  HR came up to 152 (I was shooting for 148 for the easy parts) but since it included strides, I'm happy it was close.

Damaris

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

First MAF test this afternoon:

2 Mi warm up- 21:00

3 Mi MAF test @141 (138 avg). 
      9:56 
      10:01 
      10:01

400M cool down (walking) 
      Had to cut it off a mile earlier than planned since they were closing up the gates.

Nice. 5 sec drift over 3 miles.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Chasing the bus

Yeah nice and clear test, Clay. Hope my first is as readable...

Four this morning at 10:41mm, in rush hour traffic, wet, wet, wet. Didn't get rained on, but I didn't miss it by much, and the ground is really soaked, and with the traffic, even on side streets, I ended up in the ditch a lot...nearly a mud run.

Adjusted laces, bandaided the blisters, worked well even though my feet were soaking wet.

John

“You're either on the bus or off the bus.”
        Tom Wolfe, The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Hi, guys.  I did 4 miles at 137HR and 11:47mm.  When I first started, I was doing 11:45mm at 147HR.  Much improvement.

Damaris

Shoes_N_Shorts

Just here for the food

10 miles last evening @141, 10:35 pace. HR monitor was a bit all over the place, so I think the avg. hr was a bit high. Close enough overall, though..

Chasing the bus

6 miles this morning, 11:10mm, last Aloha run for this year. Still too hot, even at 8 am. Will running in this heat make me faster when it's cooler?  Back to the HRM, snow, and darkness tomorrow, with a high probability of a MAF test and jimmyb's treadmill test in my near future.

See you all this weekend!

John

“You're either on the bus or off the bus.”
              Tom Wolfe, The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test

Shoes_N_Shorts

Just here for the food

Kind of a mess today. I did my usual 25 mi route, but ran the big hills instead of walking to control HR. Ultimately it wore me down at the end, and although I worked harder by 5 bpm avg, my pace was slower than last week by :12 per mile. There's a lesson to be learned, I guess.

25 miles @142 avg, 11:44, ~1,700' elevation gain (most of that in 2 hills of 300- 500 ft in less than a mile).

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Hi, guys.  Goofy Challenge finished.  Went running and character picture taking during the HM yesterday and today I ran with specific HR ranges in mind and missed a PR on the marathon by 10 seconds (I was not looking for one).  For those wondering whether Maf works, I am a prime example of it.  I just ran at the same pace than my Septembee PR in Berlin with a better HR down here is hot and humid Orlando.

Hope everybody had a nice weekends.

Damaris

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Disney marathon 5:09:26. Pictures in the first half. Concrete in the last 4 miles did me in. 3:55:49 at 20 miles. Last 10K in 74 minutes. Congrats Docket!

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

labhiker

Docket and Ron - congratulations on the Disney weekend- great job.  Way to go!  Very impressive.

You mentioned runny by a specific HR plan and almost setting a new PR.   It sounds like your pre-race plan was right on.  Did the HR plan set you up for more of a progression run (that is hold back initially and then start to let your HR climb as the run developed)?  Curious.

Also, thanks for all the words of encouragement for the MAF community.  Its pleasing to hear that the efforts invested at a controlled low HR pay off on race day.

labhiker

wanderingoutlaw

Damaris - Congrats on the near PR and on completing the Goofy challenge

I was back out on a trail for long run yesterday.  15.4 miles--my longest run in four years.  Kept my HR in check pretty well, but did have to walk a lot, especially up a couple of hills and during the last couple of miles.

John

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Yes and yes.  My plan was to run the first 3 @ 145HR or less (easy pace) and then pick it up until I reached 150 and attempt to have up to 155 at the end.  Well, it was hot and humid so it ended up looking like, 139, 142, 143, 150s, 160s, 170.  Average HR was 152 which is between easy and MP, so I'm very happy to have kept the HR at that point.  I ran negative splits of 4+ minutes.  The last 3 miles were my fastest.  I felt I was flying to the finish, LOL.

Docket and Ron - congratulations on the Disney weekend- great job.  Way to go!  Very impressive.

You mentioned runny by a specific HR plan and almost setting a new PR.   It sounds like your pre-race plan was right on.  Did the HR plan set you up for more of a progression run (that is hold back initially and then start to let your HR climb as the run developed)?  Curious.

Also, thanks for all the words of encouragement for the MAF community.  Its pleasing to hear that the efforts invested at a controlled low HR pay off on race day.

runnerclay, great job on the race.

Damaris

npaden

Congrats on the races guys!

I got sick over Christmas and am just getting back to where I'm able to actually run at MAF again.  For a while I just ran at my normal easy pace but my HR was about 10 beats higher than it should have been.

Last night I got in 6.06 miles on the treadmill at the house, 6.1 mph (ended up with a 9:54 avg pace) and 1.5% incline with a 133 avg HR.

Feel like I'm almost back to 100%!

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

Shoes_N_Shorts

Just here for the food

I missed Sunday's run due to some torrential downpours, so it felt good to get back out there yesterday. 4 miles @ 10:11 pace. HR was really wonky for the first 7-8 minutes, showing some really high numbers before settling down to an avg of 144 (141 is my MAF).

This week's "cycle down" couldn't have come at a better time; my longest run is 10 on Saturday.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Hi, guys.  I did 3 recovery miles yesterday at a perfect 140 HR.  I was slower than usual but it is understandable, LOL.  Glad to have it felt so easy and normal HR-like.

Damaris