Masters Running

Monday workouts & runs - 7/11 (Read 563 times)

Dave59

First there was 7/7/11, and now we have 7/11/11 (at least here in the USA where we write the dates out dd/mm/yy).

4.3 mile run and a good workout at the gym.  Heard some younger women talking in amazement about someone who had a car with "crank" windows and no "remote door lock".  Funny to hear.  And a reminder that I continue to get older.

Opie - What is your tweetup running group.  I've been learning a little more about twitter and read about tweetup groups as a spontaneous get together.  Is that how the running group works?

New skirt in town

6 EZ-PZ miles this morning.  My PF still feels pretty darned good, which is surprising me.  Must. Not. Push. It.

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

HermosaBoy

Another nice rumbling storm last night led to a cool, but humid morning for a 3.2 mile run with Miss Rosie. 

Knee was basically a dull ache this morning.  Smile

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

First there was 7/7/11, and now we have 7/11/11 .......

...I'm thinking ''Slurpee'' here........

yeah,

you knew I was gonna say that.

========

......rest day......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Jlynne

...I'm thinking ''Slurpee'' here........

Big grin 

Hermosaboy - let's hope that "dull ache" clears up and your knee is fine. Good luck. You too Holly and Mike.

Awesome picture of Will yesterday (why do I like that name so much?) That kid smoked his competition, and what great running form!

I wanted to apologize for the "poor me" post last weekend. In the big picture of things, I've been pretty damn lucky injury-wise, and I need to remember that more often. DH and I are celebrating our 14th anniversary today. Love that guy - he married a woman with two boys and has raised them like they were his own. We were talking last night. Between our 14 years together, his 25 with his first wife (he lost her to cancer) and my 21 with my ex, that's a lot of years!

Oh yeah - 4 miles on the treadmill at the Y this morning. Pretty good thunderstorms at 5:00 AM. Now it's just hot and muggy, just the way I like it Smile

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Congrats on the anniversary, Jeanne.

On Saturday I had to dispose of a weasel carcass.  Who knew there were weasels in Connecticut?  Sophie (our Great Pyrenee/Golden Retriever mix with just a hint of terrier) took on the weasel on Friday.  Apparently it was an epic battle.

Yesterday - no run.  Just a travel day - 400 miles to New Hampshire and back for sleep away camp drop off/visitation for the PBJsters.  Lake Winnipasaukee was beautiful. 

So Long-Suffering and I are home alone (well technically no kids, but we still have our dog with irrational fears, the other dog with separation anxiety, and the angry, bitter cat). 

This morning - lift, step, spin.  Sweaty fun.

OK if I post too? 

TW - I was thinking Slurpee too.  Got a nice smile out of Doc Robin's proud momma pics.  Congrats to Will!  

Slow recovery pace 10K today.  I really find active recovery works best for me.  I raced the Boilermaker 15K yesterday and did surprisingly well.  1:00:46 for 357th place of 11,044 finishers. 4th AG of 423.  DS1 placed 31st overall with a 49:48.  That makes me a proud papa!  Nearly 2 min PRs for both of us.

May jump on the bike later if I get my chores done.  Enjoy your day folks!

Skip

Opie - What is your tweetup running group.  I've been learning a little more about twitter and read about tweetup groups as a spontaneous get together.  Is that how the running group works?

I think I'm the only one who calls it a tweetup although I've been to one or two get-togethers which were called that.  Ours is a small group of runners which recently started meeting almost every Sunday morning but the time and place changes a little from week to week.  A personal trainer I know started it, and she wasn't even there this time so the little group has taken on a life of its own which is pretty cool.  I'm the old guy/serious runner there so it's fun to run with newer, less serious runners.

8 miles planned this evening.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

Mariposai

SkipAZ, is here, hurray! So wonderful to see you in RAland. Great race with your son this weekend! Slow active recovery is best for me too.

Jlynne, great 4 miles! And congrats for your 14 years of happiness with your DH.

dave59, you are sure rocking with your fitness activities these day!!

Holly, how is the foot today?

PBJ, I was thinking of you as I used your suggestion of running uphill yesterday afternoon. My DH, true to his promise, drove me up the hill south of our home, where I have not been in over 13 years, so I could do my running there. Sunny, 80F when I started, but the cool mountain air felt sooo good. The view was amazing! The land was plastered with wild flowers and in the 13 miles I ran I passed 7 small lakes.

Overall  I am very satisfied with my run considering the elevation gain. It took me only 2:15.  I ran 7 miles at MP pace or MP effort for the hills.

A total of 50 miles for last week and it is now time to TAPER again!!!Clown

I am looking forward to reading more about the waver run!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Sophie (our Great Pyrenee/Golden Retriever mix with just a hint of terrier) took on the weasel on Friday.  Apparently it was an epic battle.

So Long-Suffering and I are home alone (well technically no kids, but we still have our dog with irrational fears, the other dog with separation anxiety, and the angry, bitter cat). 

These two statements and Dave's statement about the "crank" windows and "remote door lock" cracked me up.  Thanks!

JLynne - You can always post "poor me" thoughts here.  You gotta get it out one way or another, and why not amongst folks who understand and can empathize.  ~Happy Anniversary ~

My foot was feeling twingy last night, so I decided to not start the running comeback program this morning.  Will see how things feel tomorrow.  Instead, 45 min of strength/core and 30 min of stationary biking.

Enjoy the day ~

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

but we still have our dog with irrational fears, the other dog with separation anxiety, and the angry, bitter cat). 

Big grin

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

My DH, true to his promise, drove me up the hill south of our home, where I have not been in over 13 years, so I could do my running there. Sunny, 80F when I started, but the cool mountain air felt sooo good. The view was amazing! The land was plastered with wild flowers and in the 13 miles I ran I passed 7 small lakes.

Overall  I am very satisfied with my run considering the elevation gain. It took me only 2:15.  I ran 7 miles at MP pace or MP effort for the hills.

What an awesome run!

I had a rental car last year that had crank windows – my kids loved them!

Jlynne – Happy Annivesary!

SkipAZ – Hiya!   Congrats on the PRs for you and DS!

Mariposai – heel is tender but not too bad.  Forgot to ice this morning, so I will tonight.

No run for me this morning, just 35 minutes of P90X Core Synergistic and assorted house-putterings.  I always seem to have a hard time getting motivated on Monday mornings....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Nice race the other day Dave, sweet PR 

Tom nice AG award for you too!  

TW it is a good day for a slurpee  here enjoy your rest day. 

Good humor bar started here in Y-town during a heat wave a local store owner invented the Good humor ice cream sucker  because the heat was making everyone crabby.  

Enjoyed reading Twocat last week about fuel or no fuel on long runs

Stumbled upon several Spareribs articles, good stuff 

DW brought home some peanut butter cake from the bakery last night to die for live for Smile

Off to grocery shop for club picnic tonight, I'm in charge burgers and hot dogs....    

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

evanflein

Hey, how cool to see SkipAZ drop by! Nice racing for you and your son, you guys are speedy! Skip, you still doing ultras? I sorta blame you for getting me interested in that, you know. Well, you and Leslie. Wink

Speaking of Leslie, probably a good plan to wait a day or so. You've come so far, no need to risk it now, right?

I love the way PBJ puts things. The angry, bitter cat comment just kills me. We had one of those.

We saw a fox run across the road this morning with a rabbit in it's mouth! Crossed right in front of us, DH slowed a bit but the fox was zipping across... dropped his breakfast just as he made it across and dashed into the woods. I was hoping he'd go back for the rabbit, hate to have it go to waste.

I'm not going to run today and I hope I don't wish I had... it's a beautiful day out there, IRC indeed, but after 14 days in a row, and almost 55 miles last week, I just feel a little tired. We'll go to the gym at lunch, then to a family get together with old friends after work.

wildchild

Carolyn

Our dump truck has crank windows.  But it has a power dump bed. Cool

Robin - excellent pictures of Will's race yesterday!  I specially liked the picture with the three flying kids.

Jeanne - Happy Anniversary!  And vent all you want - I think the only people who understand better than runners how grumpy we get when we can't run are our  spouses.  Wink

Hi Skip!  Nice racing for you and  your fast son.

Nice run yesterday, Mariposai.  Our wildflowers are spectacular, too.  Was this a trail run, or road?

Yesterday afternoon we had a whole series of thunderstorms, and I couldn't safely fit a run in  between them.  So I just did a bunch of free weights, sit ups, pushups, and pullups.  Hoping for a RAW, but this time of year we get thunderstorms almost every afternoon.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.