Masters Running

A bit about yourself (Read 2408 times)

SteveP

Steve here in Northern Michigan about 30 miles from Lake Michigan. 46 Y/O married male. I've been running for over 20 years. I've slowed down quite a bit after a nasty broken ankle 10 years ago. My race times are under 9:00 miles though I'd like to improve, it's important to keep it fun. SteveP

SteveP

Hi everyone! I'm Tanya, 46, a writer, and living in Nashville. I will have been running 30 years this next September (yikes). I'll be celebrating the 30-year mark several months early by running Boston for the first time, and I can't wait! Years ago, my favorite distances were 5ks and 10ks, though the older I get, the more I prefer longer races...I honestly feel that a 5k is harder than a marathon these days--it's over faster, but I hate every living second of it. That being said, I love running and can't imagine (or want to imagine) ever stopping. Though my times are no longer as fast as the old days, it's a whole new world and challenge growing older and competing. I clearly remember being in my twenties and watching the Masters runners get their awards at races and thinking, "They must be bummed that they're no longer as fast as they used to be." It's great to discover that I don't feel that way at all!

Tramps

Tanya, good to meet you. I've only been running a couple of years so I really appreciate folks like you who bring lots of experience and know-how. You log some serious miles. Also, I laughed at your "why do I run" statement in your profile. Good one. What kind of writing do you do?

Be safe. Be kind.

Hi everyone! I'm Joni, 41, a wife to a man I adore, and a mom to 8 & 5 yr old boys. I'm from the east side of Michigan, but currently living on the west side, close to Lake Michigan (Muskegon County)! After about 18 yrs, I got back into running slogging this past January. Unfortunately, I've battled some peroneal tendon issues which have had me benched on and off. I've discovered, however, if I keep it (even) slow(er) and on a level surface, I can continue to run; it took a long time to figure that one out! After being benched at one time by my PT for 7 weeks, I have an even greater appreciation for the ability to just get out there, and my perspective's completely changed. It's not "Oh gee, it's too cold to run today", or "I didn't get enough sleep last night"- if I can get out there I go! What's that saying?...you don't appreciate what you've got until it's gone? Smile So, still battling peroneal issues, but it's also given me a gift! This summer I got my kids into a 1/2 mile fun run. My little 4 yr old won this big 2nd place trophy. Both he and his brother really enjoyed it (especially since my little one *finally* had a trophy to put next to his older brother's trophies, of which he pointed out was taller than any of brother's!). They enjoy getting out there and "running", so I hope that they grow to love it as much as I do. It'd be realllly great if I had my kids for running buddies as they get older. If I can get a handle on this ankle thing, my goal is to run the Crim 10 mile in Flint MI, August 2008. I'm not shooting for any specific time, so I'm just going to see where I'm at when the race nears. Slow and steady!!

#artbydmcbride

Welcome Sockoni! And full recovery vibes to your ankle -->>>{{Sockoni's ankle}}

Runners run

Ilene, Perhaps you misunderstood. This thread is to describe a bit about yourself, not display a bit of yourself. Dark Horse
              I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.
                Welcome Sockoni! And full recovery vibes to your ankle -->>>{{Sockoni's ankle}}
                Thanks Ileneforward! {{{Recovery vibes coming back at your hip flexor and left shoulder!!}}} Congratulations on 9 marathons since 2004. Awesome! What charity are you running Boston for?
                OrangeMat

MM #6177

Did I introduce myself here already? It's so confusing, starting up in three different forums in only 8 weeks.... Confused First I found myself at CR, just at the beginning of November, determined to get back to running, and outdoors at that, because I've always been a cold-weather wimp and wanted to get some support on that. Then followed the crowd (which I've barely gotten to know) to KR, and now I am here as well. Like I said, it's a bit overwhelming to post in more than one place, but I'll give it shot. There are a number of names I recognize from all my recent "travels", so that's kinda nice. So, about me.... My name's Esther, I'm 45, and unlike Soundrunner, I've been running INconsistently for at least 14 years now. Started out as a gym rat 25 years ago, and morphed into a certified personal trainer 6 years ago. Started yoga 3 years ago too. Not exactly sure when I first set foot on the treadmill at the gym, but I do know it was somewhere in between having my two children, DS 16 and DD 13. That first time, I set the machine for 4.0 mph, with the intent to run one mile. I did it, piece of cake! Eventually my speed and distance increased, and currently I'm averaging 23 mpw, 9:37 pace. I've never run in any races. Maybe in 2008... Do we list our injuries here too? Roll eyes Chronic right shoulder sprain that alternates with a chronic spasmed left psoas. It's a push-me-pull-you kind of thing, diagonally across my body, and all I try to do is be balanced in between the two. Hence my inconsistent running history. Though lately I've found that my running tends to balance me, so I've decided to stick with it regardless (as long as I am outdoors and not on a treadmill, that is). Though speaking of balance, I started teaching yoga this past year, and as the students in my classes can attest, I get most of my inspiration for my class themes from my running. So it's all good. Smile Oh and yeah, my username is OrangeMat simply because my yoga mat is orange, and it's just a coincidence that it shortens to OM. Big grin Glad to meet everyone!
                    I'm from the east side of Michigan, but currently living on the west side, close to Lake Michigan (Muskegon County)!
                    Welcome, Sockoni! You must live near our own hopeful4ever, who is in the Fruitport area. Mary and I both ran the Grand Rapids Half Marathon last October (I'm from over in Rochester). How about you? We've got at least a half dozen or more Michiganders who have come over here from CoolRunning, so we should have something in common for our daily posts. We will definitely see you at the Crim, where we always attempt to meet somewhere (bring hopeful Mary with you!).

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Welcome, Sockoni! You must live near our own hopeful4ever, who is in the Fruitport area.
                      Thanks Doug! Yes, Mary's just south of me maybe 20 minutes! I'm up in the Whitehall area.
                      Mary and I both ran the Grand Rapids Half Marathon last October (I'm from over in Rochester). How about you?
                      Well you ran it with some of our members then! Kirsten (Zoom Zoom), who lives 5 minutes north of me in Montague, is trying to get a group together for the GR Marathon and half! She's run the half and plans on doing the full next year. She's made a group for it incase you haven't seen it yet: Click I'm from Davison in Genesee County, moved to Lapeer for awhile, worked in Lake Orion and went to OU, so I was in your neighborhood! It's a beautiful area!
                      We've got at least a half dozen or more Michiganders who have come over here from CoolRunning, so we should have something in common for our daily posts. We will definitely see you at the Crim, where we always attempt to meet somewhere (bring hopeful Mary with you!).
                      I'm looking forward to the Crim. I'm *hoping* that all body parts cooperate with me. I only did a few races back when I was running, but the Crim was the first. My friend who got me into running and whom I ran the Crim with in '89, died in a car accident a few years later. I also worked at the Water Street Pavillion near the start of the race, so the Crim brings a lot of memories back. I think Kennyrun who's in Oxford and PowerofQ in Brighton ran it this year. There are others from MI too...Shyrunner, Backroadrunner, Seacow, Corland, Marathonmanleto. I know I'm forgetting some. And yes! I'll bring Mary too! Wink
                        'm from Davison in Genesee County, moved to Lapeer for awhile, worked in Lake Orion and went to OU, so I was in your neighborhood! It's a beautiful area!
                        Click on the Maps link on the Masters Running group home page. That's where I run most working days. Wink

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

anachrotech

Welcome Sockoni ! I'm from St Clair Shores - about 9 miles from the Detroit city limits. Hopefully I can meet you at the Crim in 08. I have notorious bad luck when it comes to meeting any of my cyber friends, so they probably assume I really don't exist. Wink
                            Click on the Maps link on the Masters Running group home page. That's where I run most working days. Wink
                            Doug, wow! Small world!! Big grin anachrotech, nice to meet you! Some us here on RA have purchased Runningahead shirts. The theory is if we all wear our shirts we'll be able to recognize each other at races. I'll hopefully see how that works in August! I hope to see you there too Smile
                              Howdy Boomers/Masters 57 yr old guy from Massachusetts. Married with 4 grown children and 2 grandsons. Been running again for 7 years after a long spell of inactivity chasing my growing family around. Have run 5k's to a marathon but prefer the 5k/10k distance. Been married for 35yrs and couldn't be happier. DW surprised me this year by taking up running and has completed 3 5k's Had been posting at CR but mostly a lurker as time permited. Own my own business so 90hr. work weeks are not uncommon. Any extra time is as a volunteer firefighter in my home time (30yrs) Fran
                                Welcome Fran, Congrats on the 35 years with the DW and congrats to her on beginning the running adventure! Thank you for your service as volunteer fire fighter. Post often.
                                Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM