RA Coaching Forum

btb's running log (Read 1123 times)

Nice Boot. How long do you think it will be until your able to get back to running? Sending you all the patient vibes I can muster throughout the healing process!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

btb1490

Nice Boot. How long do you think it will be until your able to get back to running? Sending you all the patient vibes I can muster throughout the healing process!!
      I'm glad you like my boot! It's very fashionable, don't you think? I had to go out tonight and be sort of dressed up, and had a heck of a time finding pants that were baggy enough to slip over the darn thing. No timeline on the running. It happens when it happens and I'm not rushing it or setting expectations. First things first though, I just wanna be able to walk. Thanks for the patient vibes! I really do appreciate it! This is nothing more than just another bump in the road to get over. I know I'll be able to run again, and not everyone can say that.
        Bob! Love the positive attitude - best way to run uhhh walk uhhh go through life. I like your new boot, too...maybe when Vinny's not looking you can nab a matching one and tell people you are cross training for the upcoming ski season!

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Bob! Love the positive attitude - best way to run uhhh walk uhhh go through life. I like your new boot, too...maybe when Vinny's not looking you can nab a matching one and tell people you are cross training for the upcoming ski season!
          DITTO!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

btb1490

Thanks, I'm trying guys! Getting upset doesn't solve anything. Had a nice swim with Jake this afternoon. The lake is cooling off, and today was breezy and chilly, so I donned the wetsuit for the first time in about 3 years. Geez, I don't remember it fitting so tight! Must be the muscle I've built in those years. Roll eyes Went across and back 3 times which is 1.5 miles. Jake joined me for the first and third leg. He's such a good swimming buddy and just loves it. Also broke some rules and rode the mountain bike to and from the library to get a movie for tonight. 6 miles roundtrip. Didn't lock into the pedals because pulling up on them really aggrivates my injury. It felt..... ok. Not great. Spent the morning at a funeral for a lifelong friend who lost his battle with prostate cancer. 100's of people came out and stood in wind driven cold rain to pay their respects. That was a testimony to the type of person this guy was. One of his sayings was "The hours of your life are precious and you can never get them back. Make them count. Work hard. Have fun. Have fun while working hard." We lost a good one. Cry
              NICE SWIM!!! Gotta be them muscles you built (as for your wet suit fitting tight). Be careful when you're breaking the rules! I trust that you won't cause more problems! (((HUGS))) My condolences to you and everyone that was effected by you're friends death! Prostate cancer is EVIL!! I bet you felt fortunate to have had a life long friend like that. Sad that it was cut so short Sad

btb1490

NICE SWIM!!! Gotta be them muscles you built (as for your wet suit fitting tight). Be careful when you're breaking the rules! I trust that you won't cause more problems! (((HUGS))) My condolences to you and everyone that was effected by you're friends death! Prostate cancer is EVIL!! I bet you felt fortunate to have had a life long friend like that. Sad that it was cut so short Sad
                Ahh Pam, you are too kind in saying that it was muscles making my wetsuit tight! Keep lying, I like it! Wink Broke the rules again today by riding the mountain bike to the grocery store to get some stuff. Unlike yesterday though, today I biked with the cast on, and it was fine! Really. I wouldn't do it if it wasn't. Any kind of cancer is evil. It's slow torture. I want to go quickly when it's my turn mostly because of the toll that being sick for a long time takes on those around you. Got in another swim at the lake today. For some reason Jake was not interested in swimming today. I finally coaxed him out there for 1/2 a mile, then did another 1/2 on my own. Here's a shot from today when we were finished. I hope everyone had an awesome weekend! Smile As always, thank you for reading!
                  Awesome swims, Bob! I haven't swam (swum?) in water like that since I was a Boy Scout doing the mile swim and lifeguard training. Looks like a great lake for swimming. Cool that Jake likes to swim - I have a lab (George) and can't get him near water - pool or lake. Sorry to hear of your friend passing from cancer. Any way to go is sad - slow is worse somehow. Like you said it takes a toll on those close by.

btb1490

Awesome swims, Bob! I haven't swam (swum?) in water like that since I was a Boy Scout doing the mile swim and lifeguard training. Looks like a great lake for swimming. Cool that Jake likes to swim - I have a lab (George) and can't get him near water - pool or lake. Sorry to hear of your friend passing from cancer. Any way to go is sad - slow is worse somehow. Like you said it takes a toll on those close by.
                    Love the dogs name.... George. "George, meet Jake." Just a couple of good ole guys! A lab that doesn't like water? I am lucky to have that lake nearby. Gotta like swimming with wildlife though. Besides all the fish that you see, there is one big old snapping turtle about 2 feet across that lives there. I'm sure there are more snappers than that in it, but this guy is pretty bold and will come right up to you and check you out. The other day a snake was slithering across the surface. In the picture you can see a swan on the other side. Don't get too close to them, they are nasty buggers. They always seem to go for your crotch! So you must be a pretty good swimmer Mike since you took all the lifeguard stuff?
                      Awwwwwwww another cute picture of Jake!! I took some of Kallie the other day (with my cell phone cause I forgot my camera). None of the shots came out that great. I'll have to post some a little later though! Nice swim! Oh and cool that your able to get some biking in. It's nice to see you trucking along despite your injury!!

So you must be a pretty good swimmer Mike since you took all the lifeguard stuff?
                        I used to be very big into it, lifeguarding, scuba diving, swim team, etc. But now my swimming is limited to playing in the pool with the kids and passing the Cub Scout leader swim test (100 yards) at scout camp each summer. Maybe some day I'll get back into it - but right now the marathon training and running for fun are in the driver's seat.

btb1490

Sensory deprivation... I can handle running predawn, but swimming not so much. I decided to stop by the lake before work to get a swim in. Boy we sure are losing our daylight hours quickly it seems. The sun wasn't up yet when I got there, but there was enough light to see a thin layer of fog hovering over the lake. The air temp was 52* and there wasn't a breath of wind, thus the mist hanging over the relatively warmer water. Very eerie, but cool looking! The water is definitely cooling off, but it was warmer than the air so it felt good to get in. That is until the wetsuit slowly started filling up with water. The minute or so that that takes is brutal! Dove in to the dark, calm water and started swimming. After about a minute, the water in your wetsuit finally warms up and then everything finally feels good! It was kinda creepy swimming in the dimly lit water. Everything around was dark, except for the sky which was starting to brighten up finally. Add to that the fog on the water, and you really couldn't see too much. In the middle of the lake, your radius of vision was probably less than 100'. That kinda made navigating a bit tricky. I did ok heading out and stayed relatively on course, but coming back I got all messed up and didn't know which way I was going at one point. Just kept swimming till I caught sight of shore, and finally figured out where I was. It wasn't where I needed to be, but heck, I was making good time! Wink Made it back to where I started, caught my breath, then headed back out a little ways and did some water running. Not that anyone was watching, but I wonder what they would've thought to see somebody out in the middle of the lake in the cold and the fog and darkness, just hovering in place. It wasn't till I got out and took off my wetsuit and started hiking back out to the car that I realized how deep down of a chill I got. Cranked the car heat for the rest of the drive to work. It was neat being out there that early and under those conditions, but I'm not sure I'll rush out and do it again anytime soon. But once you are out in the middle of the lake, and you can't see or hear or really feel anything, you really get a sense of what sensory deprivation feels like. Get over your fears of creatures coming up from the dark depths to eat you, and it's actually very relaxing.
                            LOVE your writing style Bob!! Made me feel like I was right out there with you! Brave man going out so early and so cold!

Prophet!

i'm always impressed with people that surfs or swims in cold water...me no likey wetsuit...
                              btb1490

i'm always impressed with people that surfs or swims in cold water...me no likey wetsuit...
                                If you don't like wetsuits, I guess you are living in the right place then!
                                LOVE your writing style Bob!! Made me feel like I was right out there with you! Brave man going out so early and so cold!
                                Brave? Hardly! More like desperate to get some sort of a workout in!