Ultra Runners

April 2020 Ultra Training Thread (Read 31 times)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

March handed us an unwelcome twist and April a lot of unknowns.  Race and event cancellations and postponements abound.  For some this may affect motivation to train.  I'm trying to view it as an opportunity to build a better base and experiment with my pacing.

March mileage 205.3, one of my better months.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

nOOky

161.94 miles running in March, 265.64 biking. I'm starting to run more as the hammy is feeling better than what it was early in the month. I think the biking has helped, and it had helped my weight start to slowly come off.

I'm starting to look for a certain number of hours each week versus miles. Last month I had 49 hours total including weight lifting and hikes, I'd like to start getting 12+ hours a week with biking mixed in. In my competitive cycling days I averaged 16-20 hours of cycling up to 300 miles a week. I could never do that much time running, running I'm more usually around 10 hours a week.

Like everyone else has noticed, the local trails are becoming clogged as it gets nicer out. I'm hitting more gravel roads now and cycling on the back roads. At least you won't find casual dog walkers out on the roads very much, and most people newly going into the state parks are staying with 1/2 mile of their car. I find those people that drive their car along the roads that have their dog running next to them really effing obnoxious, get off your lazy ass and walk with your dog!

Istria 110k 4-6-2024

WS100 6-29-2024

UTMB 171k 8-30-2024

MCM 10-27-2024

Just a dude.

March was 285 miles total.

Only lost 5 lbs, but I guess that's better than nothing.

Our governor issued a shelter in place today. Sounds like that doesn't mean I can't still run outside as long as I'm away from others...

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

RWD

I find those people that drive their car along the roads that have their dog running next to them really effing obnoxious, get off your lazy ass and walk with your dog!

Oh my god that seems so unsafe and horrible.

Grandma's Marathon was cancelled yesterday. That is a massive blow to the Duluth economy, but Duluth also has a vulnerable population and there are probably going to be snowbirds returning at that point, they don't need tens of thousands of people packed in together. I also wonder if races are now afraid of being associated with a cluster of outbreaks (which is a real concern!) and will want to be overly cautious.

This month was pretty decent for me, running-wise. I got in a few double digit runs and explored a few new locations, which was fun. I'm not finding a lot of issues with congestion, but I often run at most people's dinner times.

I had 188.8 miles in March, around 17,500' vert.  Chugging along.  Having fun with virtual races.  Discovered Zoom.

All state and county parks are closed.  In San Mateo Co., people have to stay within 5 miles of their residence for recreation, whether walking, running, cycling, or whatever in addition to staying 6 ft away from everyone else.  Not sure how enforceable that is, but it (hopefully) will hammer home that people should stay the fuck at home, or at least close to home.  It's projected to peak here at the end of April, so it's going to get worse before it gets better.

And on that cheery note, welcome to April.    I'm actually not as down as that sounds.  I'm sort of an introvert anyway so doing stuff at home is fine by me.  My hubs is stuck overseas, which is a bummer, but he's safe and healthy.  I'm employed.  I have no complaints about running within 5 miles of my house, which is mostly along the ocean plus a small, local park.  Could be much worse!

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Running Problem

Problem Child

I should NOT have looked at Running Warehouse today. Sales everywhere. Funny how most races being canceled all of a sudden encourage prices to drop to reduce inventory of NEW items. I have "needed" a new ultra vest for a while. I can't decide.

https://www.runningwarehouse.com/Ultimate_Direction_Adventure_Vest_50/descpage-UDAV5.html

or do I go for the one with one bottle and a rain fly I'll probably never use? I don't NEED a new vest since mine holds 2 bottles and is what I was planning on using for TRT. I just happen to have a stimulus check coming...and Jeep parts are more expensive than running parts.

I HOPE to be back on trails next week. Ankle/heel is feeling better except for this morning. I think jumping up and down on my Jeep, or crawling under, is to blame for that. Maybe a new vest would make me go run REALLY LONG trail runs with the weather now predicting another winter storm.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Pain is my friend

Last month was a good build back month. Ran 285 miles and 24k vert. This month I could hit 300 miles. Ran a 5k TT on the first day of the month. First mile was easy but that soon faded and reminded me why I run long races. Finished in 18:37.

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

drock, I saw in the other thread that you're doing the Quarantine Backyard Ultra.  Me too.  I double-checked my planned route today, it's about 4.2 miles so that should work.  Probably will be raining here on Sat.    I'm aiming for 5-6 loops.  Some big names in the field (besides us).  

nOOky

I wish I could sign up for the challenge, but I'm still working on a stubborn hamstring issue. I wanted to run 52 miles for my 52nd b-day in a week, but I won't be able to even do 52k. I can probably bike the 52 miles though, and maybe run 5.2 

Istria 110k 4-6-2024

WS100 6-29-2024

UTMB 171k 8-30-2024

MCM 10-27-2024

drock69

Gatsby - I had to alter my route, they banned running in the cemetery. I respect that, made a new route that's slightly longer but less vert

Club Fat Ass New Years Day 50k - Jan 1 - 6h13m

First Half HM (road) - Feb. 9

Chuckanut 50k - Mar. 21

Sun Run 10k - Apr. 19

BMO Vancouver Marathon - May 3

Vancouver 100k (Club Fat Ass) - 32h07m 2 runs, pacing 100 miler friends

Whistler Alpine Meadows 100 miler - September 25

RWD

I'm too slow to really enjoy a last runner standing type event, but it does look like there's an option for FANS to become a virtual race. They're polling participants on how they'd like to proceed - cancellation, virtual event on the race weekend, or postponed event -- since the race is a major fundraiser for the FANS scholarship program, it's important that they try to have some event or other way of replacing those funds (they raised $21k last year, so it's a big deal). I am not a registered participant yet but I think now I will be. I was going to have family visiting that weekend (June 6 & 7) but they aren't coming now. I could do a virtual run at my house! And use my own bathroom! And if they cancel I'll just make a donation to the scholarship fund.

skim1124

Running to eat

155 miles in March in Bangladesh.  Just finished a 40-mile week in Michigan on 4 days of running.

The second half of March was quite eventful.  Long story short, I returned to the States on Tuesday (March 31) on a chartered, evacuation flight arranged by the US embassy because all other commercial routes out of Bangladesh were closed.  After having four different tickets getting canceled, I was very thankful that the US government arranged a flight to get citizens home.  Though I'm doing a 14-day quarantine in rural Michigan, I'm glad to be able to get out and run each day on lonely county roads.

Marathon PR: 2:52 (2006 Chicago)

Ultra #1: DNF at The North Face Thailand 100K (Feb 4, 2017)

Ultra #2: Finished in 6:53:03 at the Des Plaines River Trail Races 50M (Oct 14, 2017)

Ultra #3: Finished in 12:55:04 at The North Face Thailand 100k (Feb 1, 2020)

Ultra #4: Finished self-organized 100-miler in 19:28:53 (Oct 3, 2020)

8 laps at the Quarentine Backyard Ultra. About 33.5 miles.  Started raining during lap 6 and got wetter and windier.  Glad I called it when I did... started pouring not too long later.

Ooof, pavement hurts.

My free post-race photo (taken by me):

nOOky

Nice day M. I may try 52k for my 52nd b-day next week.

Istria 110k 4-6-2024

WS100 6-29-2024

UTMB 171k 8-30-2024

MCM 10-27-2024

Bob Hearn is still running.  They're on lap 30.  Since he's doing his laps outside, he'll be back on camera closer to the top of the hour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZWwn8JDpgA