Cheap shoe alert! (Read 1086 times)

If you get a KT (Kinesiology Tape) type tape, Rock Tape is the the stickiest brand, and their H2O version is even gooderer. I have had poor results with plain KT brand KT tape. If it's just for blister abatement, plain old athletic tape works really well, and is much cheaper than moleskin or KT type tape.

But...why not just wear mini crew socks? That's what I wear almost all the time. The "no show" or no socks at all always seem to cause problems for me on longer runs.

Run Lightweight Mini-Crew | Injinji Performance Running Socks

I never wear socks that short.  Mine come to a couple of inches above my ankle.  On my first run in the Skechers, I got the sore right through the socks.

Personal Records:

5K - 20:07 ran in September 2021 (The second half split during the 10K run listed below.)

10K - 41:10 ran in September 2021

8 miles - 56:15 ran in November 2021

Half Marathon - 1:39:06 ran in September 2020

wow!

You must have really weird feet! 

I had some Nike flats in the 80's that cut into my achilles with the heel cup on one shoe, blood all over the place after a race. I tried everything including tape and finally cut them open from the inside and cut the plastic heel cup down about 1/2" and sewed them up again. That was one of my last pair of Nikes other than spikes.

There are several shoes today that don't have a rigid heel cup, I should try to compile a list for people who have issues with rubbing or poking in their achilles.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Maybe it was just a case of the Skechers needing to loosen up a bit.  I now can run in them with no tape or band-aids to protect my Achilles and I've had no problems.  I've grown to like them more in general as well.  Especially on pavement, you can really feel that cushioning working.  I'm not sure if that $49 deal is still going on but it's hard to beat for the shoe you're getting.

Personal Records:

5K - 20:07 ran in September 2021 (The second half split during the 10K run listed below.)

10K - 41:10 ran in September 2021

8 miles - 56:15 ran in November 2021

Half Marathon - 1:39:06 ran in September 2020

I see running warehouse has the gray ones for $50. I'm debating that, since I now have about 6-8 months worth of training shoes.

Thanks!!

I see running warehouse has the gray ones for $50. I'm debating that, since I now have about 6-8 months worth of training shoes.

Those of you who use shoe goo on the outer sole: does it wear off after 3-4 runs and needs to be reapplied? I got a different brand and doesnt seem to hold very well.

Has anyone tried to fix holes with pieces from retired pairs?

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

I find my Shoo Goo lasts for much longer than that.  Weeks, for sure.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I use Shoe Goo on the soles of my shoes, but with a patch of nylon webbing for reinforcement. It lasts quite a while.

I'm surprised at the durability of the Goo.

On shoe modifications: Once upon a time you could easily buy new rubber outsole rubber in a variety of patterns. I Shoe Goo'd some waffle pattern rubber to road racers to make XC racing shoes in the 80's. I recently did a short search and found few replacement outsoles.

On shoe wear: The spots that wear down are where you're making the most contact pressure on impact, or abrasion via pivoting or pushing off to the point of sliding a bit as the foot leaves the ground. The impact wear shows you how your individual foot/gait wants to land, and perhaps you should try to find shoes that are pre-beveled in those spots, to diffuse the contact to a wider area. Acute wear on one spot (typically heel) may indicate a motion issue where you're making contact in that spot and then rolling your ankle from it like a pivot point on a lever. Building it back up with Goo prolongs the possible injury-producing motion.

For the brave: Take those brand new $150 shoes and cut a small wedge out of the middle of the midsole to create the desired bevel, and Goo it back together!

Bill thanks for that.

The real shoe goo is hard to get here in Switzerland. I went and bought a generic brand at a skater shop and it isn't nearly as good as the original it appears. Having said that, a lot of my miles are on gravel, this is likely one of the reasons why it wears down quickly.

On the bevel and pivoting topic. When I started jogging, I was a strong overpronator. This was many moons ago. Now, I am still a jogger, but have done it many many times, I am a supinator. I don't stretch my calves enough. And I don't strenghten the kinetic chain enough, glutes, hip flexors. I am just too lazy. Not sure I have to do anything about it, since I am otherwise fine. My gait is really not the best, when I tire.

@LedLincoln: what type of Nylon is that? I would like to try that, just to extend the life of those $120-150 shoes. They wear down after 200 miles and I am trying to squeeze 300 miles out of any pair. I am cheap (this is why I follow this thread).

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

Mick; I had a birth defect where my feet were pointed 90 degrees to the outside but my knees pointed forward. I was in those Forest Gump leg braces until I was 3-4. As a result, MY gait and footplant is anything but normal. My shoe wear is that of a supinator yet my ankles don't roll inward. I won a pair of New Balance 5280 in a virtual mile contest, but opted for the Rebel instead. They have this wild lateral extension of the midsole and sole that works perfectly for me. I'll buy a few pairs to warehouse when they go on clearance. If you have extensive wear on the lateral side of your shoes, you might want to try those out.

New Balance FuelCell Rebel Performance Review » Believe in the Run

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

@LedLincoln: what type of Nylon is that? I would like to try that, just to extend the life of those $120-150 shoes. They wear down after 200 miles and I am trying to squeeze 300 miles out of any pair. I am cheap (this is why I follow this thread).

General purpose stuff that I got at Menard's.  I got a 2"  width roll, cut it into small rectangles and snip the corners off.  Shoe Goo under and over it.

https://www.mcmaster.com/nylon-webbing/shock-absorbing-nylon-webbing-6/

General purpose stuff that I got at Menard's.  I got a 2"  width roll, cut it into small rectangles and snip the corners off.  Shoe Goo under and over it.

https://www.mcmaster.com/nylon-webbing/shock-absorbing-nylon-webbing-6/

You mean like the stuff used for drywall joints? That makes sense; modulus and matrix, just like carbon fiber+epoxy.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

You mean like the stuff used for drywall joints? That makes sense; modulus and matrix, just like carbon fiber+epoxy.

Not sure.  It wasn't in the drywall section - looked like it was intended for hanging ductwork, maybe.

Not sure.  It wasn't in the drywall section - looked like it was intended for hanging ductwork, maybe.

Ah, strapping. Much heavier duty than drywall patching mesh.