2013 Sub 1:30 Half Marathon (Read 1808 times)

Managed a 1:25:12 in my proper goal race this morning thanks to what I thought was bad pacing at the time but the pain never came.

Do what you want, just how you like. Nobody has to know.

Today was my first shot at the half marathon distance.  Despite a crazy headwind, ran really even overall (6:41 pace at the 6 mile mark....6:41 overall).  1:27:27.

I can't decide if I liked it more or less than a full marathon, but it did point out that all my other PRs need revising Smile.  Time to race more.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
      Emil Zatopek

1:37:15. I had training runs faster than that not too long ago.  Not a good race mentally.  I signed up for the Glass City Half Marathon on April 28th.

Walk-Jogger

Nice racing, setantae and rgilbert! Two more graduates for <1:30 for 2013!

Mnyce, sounds you had a very off day. Those are the races that will make you REALLY appreciate it when every finally falls into place for you. Any ideas what went wrong, or what you could have done differently? Good luck at your next try. 

Retired &  Loving It

My stomach was a bit off, but it should have been ok. It was a windy day and the course looped back on itself a few times.  The last 3 miles was a repeat loop, and the people that were on it the first time were taking up most of the paved path so the people running it the second time had to dodge around them.  I got tired of dodging people, fighting wind, and feeling nauseous, so I slowed down.  I was on pace for a 1:31 at mile 10, but I just gave up.  It really pisses me off that I did that.

Congrats,  setantae and rgilbert!

mnyce, poor race logistics make for a bitter pill to swallow.  But it was an encouraging performance to draw confidence from!

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Count me in on this goal. I've got a half coming up in June that I hope to hit around 1:32-1:33 on (I ran about that pace in a race back in November, but lost two months with getting sick and then moving across the country). I'd like to run another in late September or October and break 1:30 then.

Updated with info: I'm running in the Midtown Race Series Lookout Capital Race Half Marathon on June 1. I'm still looking for my race later in the year; this one is looking increasingly appealing.

Mmmmm...beer

Got my second sub-1:30 today. Smile  Not a PR, but I did get 3rd in my AG with a 1:29:55.  I learned the hard way that doing a hilly 16 miler a week before a half is a bad idea.

Congrats to the recent inductees to the club! Big grin

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Twice in a short span on your part--nice.

Always nice to see another former fat guy runner rockin' it, too (I was 230+ lbs not too terribly long ago).

Got my second sub-1:30 today. Smile  Not a PR, but I did get 3rd in my AG with a 1:29:55.  I learned the hard way that doing a hilly 16 miler a week before a half is a bad idea.

Congrats to the recent inductees to the club! Big grin

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                    Emil Zatopek

Mmmmm...beer

Twice in a short span on your part--nice.

Always nice to see another former fat guy runner rockin' it, too (I was 230+ lbs not too terribly long ago).

Thanks!  I was telling someone the other day that my legs are strong from carrying around all that extra weight all those years. LOL

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

FSBD

Well I did it.

Ran a 1:29:01 at my half this weekend.  The run felt a bit rough but I recovered easily and am ready for a few hard weeks of training before my full.

I think the fact that there were only 3 water stops on the course made it a bit tougher than it needed to be.  Other than that I think it was a pretty solid effort.

I came in 35th overall out of about 900 between the two waves that ran it.  There was no chip timing for the race, which has its pros and cons, but overall it was a positive race.

Onward to VCM!

We are the music makers,

And we are the dreamers of dreams,

Wandering by lone sea-breakers,

And sitting by desolate streams; 

World-losers and world-forsakers,

On whom the pale moon gleams:

Yet we are the movers and shakers

Of the world for ever, it seems.

Ran a 1:29:01 at my half this weekend.  The run felt a bit rough but I recovered easily and am ready for a few hard weeks of training before my full.

I came in 35th overall out of about 900 between the two waves that ran it...

Onward to VCM!

Congratulations!!!

CMJHawk86

Finally I have a HM on the schedule so I can try to mount a challenge on 90 minutes. Last time I succeeded was 2010, when I did 1:29:03. I thought I'd get it at Philadelphia last November, but faded late and settled for a 1:31-something.

I'm headed back to Philly again, but this time the RnR Philly in September. It will be my benchmark race as I train for Marine Corps Marathon 10/27. That said it's far enough out from MCM I can go ahead and hammer RnR if the fitness is there.

Alright, going to make this public now.  Put me down for a sub 1:30 in 2013.  Sounds crazy since I have yet to run a HM ever.  First one is the KY Derby Festival MiniMarathon this Sat 4/27.  My goal for the first one is 1:35, which is probably pushing it.  Hopefully 1:30 by the fall.

Eric

PRs:  5k - (20:42) 3/9/2013 18:55 (9/28/13)

10k - (42:42) 3/23/2013 39:11 (10/26/13) course was short @ 6.0 mi :)

10 mi - (1:12:10) 4/6/2013

HM - (1:34:38) 4/27/2013

flyrunnr

I ran my first half marathon this past weekend. It was the Unite Half Marathon in New Brunswick, NJ. I just missed sub 1:30 with a time of 1:30:41. I was doing great (avg 6.58 pace) up to the 10 mi marker (1:09:40), then I just had a 5K left, which I needed to run sub-20. Unfortunately the hills and my legs did not allow me to get there. Also, I did not figure on the Garmin showing (13.22 mi), so I need to make adjustments on that next time. I will do a nice flat course at the Rock 'n Roll Philly Half Marathon in Sept.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/2507437

PR's - 5K - 17:57 (2017) | 10K - 38:06 (2016)  | 13.1 1:23:55 (2019)  | 26.2  2:58:46 (2017)

2020 Goals - Sub-2:55 Marathon                       Up Next: TBD, Boston on 9/14?