2021 Sub 3:00 Marathon Thread (Read 453 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

What do you like in the lower drop category, but not 0? I do my workouts in Nikes, so I like to do easy runs in lower drop shoes to mix up the stresses. Run in Kinvara now, but interested in thoughts on other 4-6mm drop shoes.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

I don't have 10 pairs of running shoes in my house.. they are outside the front door.

I can't do 0 drop either.

Jmac my favorite shoe currently is New Balance fuelcell rebel. They are 6mm light and versatile for workouts to long runs. They have version 2 out now which is getting great reviews.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Thanks Piwi. Do you think they work as an everyday trainer? Reviews look amazing but a little mixed on that part.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

I wouldn't use them as a daily trainer as I prefer to save them for faster paced runs. I've worn them on Sunday runs when I know the pace will be at the fast end of easy.

Running Problem

Problem Child

I run in the fuel cell prism. Other than one insole being too short or something I like them. The insole on one left foot (I have 2 pairs) slides back early in my run and my toes are over it. No blisters ever just feels weird for a little bit. 6 mm drop. I think they were $50.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Thanks Piwi. I'm definitely looking more for a daily trainer typer shoe, although maybe I'll be like you guys and just start buying random pairs of shoes under the guise of preventing injuries.

RP - the NY Times has an article today on the smoke out west (featuring Reno) - WOW THAT SUCKS... 5 weeks of unbreathable air with no end in sight.  Can you join a gym and run on a TM?

pepperjack

pie man

Yeah, 5 weeks is above average smoke for sure.  Still not last year, tho.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

CalBears

Yeah, 5 weeks is above average smoke for sure.  Still not last year, tho.

What was last year?

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Jmac you could quite easily wear them for daily running and probably not dissimilar to Kinvara. I just choose to keep them for workouts as I have heavier Pegasus for daily training.

Thanks Piwi. I'm definitely looking more for a daily trainer typer shoe, although maybe I'll be like you guys and just start buying random pairs of shoes under the guise of preventing injuries.

pepperjack

pie man

For me personally I spent Aug 16 - November 18 on August Complex (last 2 or 3 weeks were pretty smoke-free, but the rest were varying levels of unhealthy). And that's just one of the lightning complexes for last year...

I'm not trying to be that guy, but last year...

11:11 3,000 (recent)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Flavio - are you one of these people that has 10+ pairs of running shoes in their house?

current count is 4 I believe 😁

It seems Cal is the male version of Dark wave in the shoe universe 😂

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

CalBears

I'm not trying to be that guy, but last year...

Have no clue what is that - cannot map that image neither to SF Bay nor to Lake Tahoe...

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Running Problem

Problem Child

RP - the NY Times has an article today on the smoke out west (featuring Reno) - WOW THAT SUCKS... 5 weeks of unbreathable air with no end in sight.  Can you join a gym and run on a TM?

It is bad when California/federal government DOESN'T declare an emergency until it encroaches on Lake Tahoe. 120,000 acres burned isn't a big deal. Unhealthy to hazardous air isn't an emergency. LAKE TAHOE!!!!! People must be concerned they're looking at another Angora fire where all the nice homes are going to burn down. It's annoying the federal government and California DON'T manage the forests responsibly. Just leave all the fuel to burn HOT fires on the ground because cleaning it up costs money. Wait until the power company (PG&E) or a Mother Nature come along to clean it up. It will cost the state a lot less than paying people to do controlled burns, and avoids the power of the Sierra Club if you allow responsible logging. At least the Bay Area residents don't have to lose power, or breath this air. They're just bummed their Labor Day weekend in Lake Tahoe is ruined by the lightening. Being FROM California and watching these fires occur again and again and again I know nothing will change. It will never be California's responsibility to manage their forests responsibly. Do I have all the answers? no. Could I do a better job? Unsure. Am I upset about it? Absolutely. Zero accountability on the government who  tell me "you can't pick up any sticks in the forest for a campfire. This is nature and you can't disturb it." Tamarack fire is 82% contained, Caldor fire is ruining Labor Day, and Dixie fire is still burning too. If only there was this spokesanimal telling us about fires in the forest....

I probably COULD join a gym, and I've been told they require a mask and have no fans/air circulation. I'm sure at this point there is a time limit with a reservation system. Today was the first day in 7 days without red air. It's orange (according to the EPA, Purple air disagrees) and just looking outside this morning I said "oh WOW....I can see those mountains. It MUST be clear today." 30 minutes south...purple (hazardous). So CIM at this point is a "just finish and move on to the next one" because I've missed so much training almost every training plan would tell me to reevaluate my goals.

oh yeah, that photo from the article is no joke. It's not photoshopped or anything. With enough Particulate Matter (PM) in the aire it creates this orange tint outside. Actually...now that I think about it there finally isn't one outside today. It's kind of weird. Oh and that photo is Emerald Bay. Nice little parking spot to get this photo. The Angora Fire was slightly Southwest of here near the Lake Tahoe Airport. I'm pretty sure Google Earth shows the trees haven't grown back in the 14 years since it happened.

pj You were up in Oregon last year? I thought you were Clear Lake all the time.

Cal the island at the top of PJ's photo is Vancouver Island.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Air is currently a 112. It's a miracle. Who woke up this morning say "man, I hope we have air good enough to be just unhealthy to sensitive groups" ? Anyone? At least the area is expecting some 14-20 mph winds through Tuesday. Either it will blow the smoke IN, or out. I don't even look at the temperature anymore because smoke inhalation is more dangerous than COVID 19.

VDOT 53.37