1st bike recomendation (Read 157 times)

ud32

Looking for recomendation on my first bike. I prefer running, but would like to incorporate biking for fitness as I age. I'd plan on riding it on roads, not mountain bikes or dirt trails. I've had lower back problems and when I ride stationary bikes or spinning classes at the gym after about 2 weeks my lower back problems flare up. Budget is $500-$800. Any suggestions or tips would be great!

Lane

We recently got my son his first bike.  This is what we got him:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/GT-Youth-Shuffle-12-Balance-Bike/242396379

He doesn't have any lower back problems and his back is basically straight up and down when he rides.  It is also well under your budget!

Art in AZ

I just got a Trek Verve 2 about 7 months ago. https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/hybrid-bikes/recreation-bikes/verve/verve-2-disc/p/28003/

I ride mostly on roads and packed dirt roads along the canals here and occasionally on a dirt trail. Bike has been real comfortable for me. Rides are normally 10-15 miles once during the week and 30-40 miles on the weekend. Other days I run.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

waterfordrider

Team Effort

I understand the age thing and running. I was a runner for a long time until I injured my achilles in the late 90's doing something else but running kept it irritated. I started riding full time in early '03 and haven't looked back. A friend loaned me has backup back while I looked for one. I found a used frame w/fork on "recycled cycles.net" and had my local bike shop build up a set of wheels and install all of the drive train components. If I recall right, I paid less than a $1000 ready to ride. You need to determine what size frame you will need. Too large or too small and you just will not ride as much as you might because the bike won't feel right.

Work with your local bike shop. They should be willing to work with you on building up a good used frame because one day you may walk in and say I want to buy a new "xxxxx". If they won't work with you, find another bike shop.

If I can be of any further help, email me directly vis RA and good luck to you

www.runninngahead.com/groups/5000MC/forum

morphex

Maybe a slim hybrid could be right for you.

I've had hybrid bikes for some years now, but I'm looking into getting a second bike, a mountainbike.

Hybrids are nice, but I've smashed the rear tire of several now, as I'm around or above the weight rating for the bike, and like to go fast.

Road racers are fast, but unless you're certain it is only going to be paved roads without much holes, I'd go for at least a hybrid.

Looking for recomendation on my first bike. I prefer running, but would like to incorporate biking for fitness as I age. I'd plan on riding it on roads, not mountain bikes or dirt trails. I've had lower back problems and when I ride stationary bikes or spinning classes at the gym after about 2 weeks my lower back problems flare up. Budget is $500-$800. Any suggestions or tips would be great!

On Instagram at https://instagram.com/morphexx

On Twitter at https://twitter.com/blogologue

Blogging at http://blogologue.com

mikeymike

An important question is how far and how long you plan on riding.

Runners run

mikeymike

are fast, but unless you're certain it is only going to be paved roads without much holes, I'd go for at least a hybrid.

A lot of the so called gravel bikes that most of the bike makers started coming out with a few years ago are almost has fast as a true road bike but have endurance geometry, disk brakes, and clearance for bigger tires like up to 42mm. I wound up buying a gravel bike in 2016 on the advice of a friend who knows a lot about bikes and I've been very happy with it. I ride 90% on paved roads but my bike is really pretty good on dirt roads and even some trails.

Runners run

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I second the gravel bike recommendation. The difference between a gravel bike and a hybrid is often little more than the handlebars. I would avoid flat bars, as they only offer you one hand position. With a gravel or cyclocross bike you can have your hands on the hoods, the drops, or the bar tops to help alleviate hand discomforts. It also gives your upper body a bit of variety.

Disc brakes are also worth every penny. They make the bike a bit heavier, but will stop reliably, even during wet or icy conditions.

You may want to up your budget a bit, though. There's a pretty marked increase in component quality once you hit the $1k mark. And definitely have yourself fit at a legit bike shop, especially with the back issues. Big box store bikes are one-size-fits few with often poor assembly and sub-par components. Built into the cost of a bike shop bike is service before and after the sale.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

hog4life

Once you determine the type bike, you should check your local bike groups on FB, check market Place too. I just bout a new gravel bike yesterday, but I ride a hard packed rail trail most of the time. It does great on the roads too. I’m selling my old Fuji Hybrid if you’re close to KC, MO. Pm me if you have questions.

Biking Bad

finnegan begin again

Good luck on your search. Getting the right bike fit for comfort of your lower back, neck and shoulders can be trial and error. So it may make sense to stay in that budget territory as you get the feel of your 1st bike. Many brands offer 'comfort' bikes that put you in a more upright position while offering seat post shock and front fork shocks. This style of bike also has a tire size that will be more forgiving of vibration and shock and less prone to flats. An example may be the Jamis Citizen 3.  Go to some sites to get style choices. Your local bike shops may offer extended demo opportunities.

Good luck and keep the rubber side down

Modified to add that the Walmart Balance bike may run a close second to anything you consider. Great recommendation

"... the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value..."  Thomas Paine Dec 23, 1776 The Crisis 

Adversity is the first path to truth. Lord Byron

"No one plans to fail…..they fail to plan" Skinny Pete

morphex

As for the back problems, have you tried squats and deadlift with weights?

I tend to get something like sciatica if I sit a lot, and it helps to just get off my *** every now and then and stretch. I think squats, deadlift and strength exercises in general have helped, might sound counter-intuitive, but there you have it.

On Instagram at https://instagram.com/morphexx

On Twitter at https://twitter.com/blogologue

Blogging at http://blogologue.com

I am going to go against the grain and say get a road bike.  I had a Target hybrid first and it was so slow and sloppy that I was not truly loving biking until I got a road bike.  I have a cross/gravel bike too, which is more versatile but slower.  For everyday riding unless you live in an area where the roads are not suitable for riding, get a road bike.

Bike fit is everything.  If the bike doesn't fit well, you won't want to ride. If you buy from a reputable bike shop, they will fit you right there vs. trying to work it out on your own.

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt

I agree with many who speak to the value of the gravel bike.  
                            Similar to a road bike but more versatile. 
                            The beauty of a gravel bike is that you can ride on roads less travelled.  But you can also ride on paved terrain.  Options are plentiful. 

The problem with 2020 is the supply of bikes. 
                            most local bike shops are very short on supply of bikes that are less than $1,000.  

Good luck finding the right bike.  
                            size matters more than the style of bike.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Muebele

Decent bikes are super expensive I would look at getting something used.  I got a specialized Allez for $400 I’m good condition.  Not anything ground  breaking but I am not going for speed records anyway

Resident Sk8r boi

You can get a decent road-worthy bike at about 800. Look into a salsa Journeyman. It’s a gravel/endurance bike, and has options at 799. The components are a bit lower spec, but for fitness riding will do just fine. If you get more into it, you can always upgrade to better as things wear out or break.