How do you carry your cell phone during runs? (Read 599 times)

DoppleBock

I only carry on longer trail runs - In the zipper pocket of my camelback in a plastic ziplock bag.

As a woman who runs alone 99% of the time, and at night during winter, and as a mother who wants to keep her phone on her in case of an emergency and needs to be reached, I need to have my phone on me during my runs. Right now during winter, my tights and capri's work because they have a back pocket with a zipper, but right now with these freak 60 degree temps I would love to wear my shorts, but I need to keep my phone on me. I've been trying to find shorts that have pocket for phones, or even running shirts that have a zipper pocket big enough for a phone (I don't think my phone will fit in my shirts). I really don't want to carry my phone in my hands dang it.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

CeeDotA

I use this: http://www.rei.com/product/808618/runners-world-run-lite-pack

I normally only take it on my long runs, but I've had to with all my runs recently since my iPod went through the wash. I also wear it souring longer races so my wife can keep an eye on how far I am from the finish.

Current PRs:

5K: 27:06 (11/10/12) | 5M: 44:03 (6/1/13) | 10K: 1:00:48 (7/4/12)

15K: 1:27:53 (3/17/13) | 10M: 1:30:25 (4/13/13) | HM: 1:59:55 (4/28/13)

Next race: Ashland 4th of July 10K

There is only one time in the last 10 years that I have carried a phone, and that's when my wife was out of town, and it was like 5 AM, and I didn't want my kids to wake up early and freak out since no one was there.

Yeah, I told them the night before anyway, and even left a note, but still, I felt uncomfortable.

As it ended up, after a 15 mile run, I still got home before they woke up.  But, still, it made me feel better having it.

I just put it in my pocket.

Jeff

dirtroadrunner

In my bra Blush  under the top left strap.   I wear a compression top as well. I also have a cover on my phone. Works for me.

#artbydmcbride

For you folks that have the FlipBelt, how do they work in wet/rainy conditions (or during particularlly sweaty workouts)?  Do they have any sort or water/moisture resistance?

I haven't worn in during rain, but on a very long run (18 miles) it eventually gets sweaty.   I keep kleenex and gun in a baggie inside it to make sure they stay dry, but it hasn't gotten wet enough to bother the ipod or phone.

Runners run

xor

Kleenex and gun.

Whoa.

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Kleenex and gun.

Whoa.

Don't mess with Ilene's running time!

TRUST THE PROCESS

xor

I have run with ilene before.  I was not aware she was packing heat.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

SPIbelt, phone in front, where the omentum can help keep it in place.

Need to give that company a little shout-out: at the expo for my last marathon, I was checking out the SPIbelt booth, as the water-resistant lining in mine mine had begun to deteriorate and separate from the pouch.  I'd had it for a little over a year and put in quite a few miles with it, so I just figured it was time to get a new one.

The representative saw me poking around and came over to talk, at which point I related the reason I was thinking about picking up another one.  Her brow furrowed a bit and she cocked her head a little, and said, "do you have it with you?"  I said it was out in the car, and went to fetch it.

Anyway, after a very brief inspection, she hands me a brand-new one in the color of my choice.  When ten minutes earlier, I was all set to hand over money for one.

That made an impression, one I won't soon forget!

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

#artbydmcbride

I have run with ilene before.  I was not aware she was packing heat.

Oops, typo, meant to type gum, not gun    Big grin

Runners run

GabrielleB

Oops, typo, meant to type gum, not gun    Big grin

*phew*

I leave the phone in the car or at home. My kids can call their dad. Smile

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I know this is a little off topic, but is a cell phone really necessary for safety on a short urban run?  It is not going to stop an attack like a whistle or mace might and you are probably not far from a business or someone's house if something does happen and you need to make a call.  I used to run after work with a co-worker (a man) who wouldn't run without his phone because he did not want to miss a work call in case there was a network outage.  I see running as the one time of the day I don't have to answer the phone and I refuse to carry one, but everyone's needs are different.

I didn't use to take it with me, but having a baby and being a paranoid mother, I want to have my phone with me if something were to happen and I needed to race back to my vehicle. I would be in a fit of rage if I were out running my 5+ miles having a good time, while my son began choking or stopped breathing, or fell  on something and was going to the ER and nobody could reach me. I don't run distances shorter than 5 miles, if it's 3 and I plan on being under 30 minutes then I won't. Some of my runs aren't near a business or a house that I am willing to walk up to, most of the time I try to set my routes so I run past my vehicle a couple of times. And my runs mostly on our Greenway River Trail, which runners (women) have been attacked, assaulted or raped. I am not so worried about that part, I carry pepper spray and I change my routes often, and my  running times. So yes, a phone is necessary for me, not so much for my safety, but for emergencies.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

npaden

I've always used the ArmPocket things to carry my phone which is also my mp3 player and also my GPS and also my watch.  I rarely wear headphones, I usually just have the volume turned up on my phone and run in areas where I rarely see another person, but if I do wear headphones I have bluetooth headphones so I'm not tied down to a cord.  I rarely look at it though and have had a couple occasions where it overheats and shuts down if it is in the direct sunlight too long and was just thinking the other day that running with it on my arm for an entire marathon might get old.

Anyone used one of the armband type things and one of the waist belt ones and have a preference one way or the other?

Thanks, Nathan

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

Hobby Jogger Especial!

I run with just my dog and am sometimes a fair distance from houses or other people.  I turn the sound off on my phone when I run and only carry it "just in case".

There was someone in our area last summer that was only about 1/2 a mile to a mile away from anything but fell and broke her ankle. She did a lot more damage to it because there was no traffic and no one to help her and she had to hobble quite a way.

I know this is a little off topic, but is a cell phone really necessary for safety on a short urban run?  It is not going to stop an attack like a whistle or mace might and you are probably not far from a business or someone's house if something does happen and you need to make a call.  I used to run after work with a co-worker (a man) who wouldn't run without his phone because he did not want to miss a work call in case there was a network outage.  I see running as the one time of the day I don't have to answer the phone and I refuse to carry one, but everyone's needs are different.

Not dead. Yet.

I use an armband and carry it for music.  Its comfortable for the most part, but starts to itch on longer runs.  Might have to start switching arms every hour or so.

How can we know our limits if we don't test them?