I GUESS I know the answer to this question but.... (Read 1190 times)

...I need to hear it from someone else. My knee is popping with every step I take (and there's a new, subtle burning sensation). It's not pain, exactly, and it's been like this all week. I think I could run without pain, it would just keep popping. It's been a sucky week at work and I'm moody. I want to run. But I should stay home and ice, right? This injury business is no fun at all....I'm boring MYSELF with these continual knee problems! And I am really unable to deal with all the stupid people in my office when I haven't been able to run in so long....
    Wingz

Professional Noob

But I should stay home and ice, right?
      You're smart! I guess this is a little late, as it looks from your log like you already took your own excellent advice... You may want to make a habit of icing after every run for a while and see if the problem goes away. Things shouldn't be popping with every step, and I don't know enough about knee injuries to tell you why. Did you fall and/or twist your knee somehow right before this started up? If it keeps up, you might need to get it checked out.

Roads were made for journeys...

Certifiably Insane

Fallstoclimb, I may be a bit late on my post (just found this site today!) but here's my opinion. You may want to take a pair of your used running shoes in to a running specialty store, and have them evaluated. Your knee troubles may be aggravated by or completely caused by your shoes. There may not be enough support where you need it, or too much. Or, they may not even be adequate for the miles you're trying to do. Some stores even have a treadmill, where they can video your stride to point out problems. I feel your pain, I HATE not being able to run because of some nagging pain that just won't go away. Keep digging until you find the root cause, then eliminate it. Don't let anyone tell you "oh, running is just hard on your knees." Tell them thank you, and move on to someone with more knowledge. Best of luck to you!
        On the road since 1978! "To be good is not enough when you dream of being great." I am not obsessed! I'm just INTENSE! "Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool." Why? Because race results stay on Google forever! (Reasonably recent) PR's: 5K - 16:40 10K - 35:04 HM - 1:18:30
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I had this much of last Summer. Only thing that worked for ME was more support in the form of Superfeet insoles. I had noticeable improvement from my first run (though most people require more of a break-in period to adapt to the orthotics...I got really lucky). I also cut back on my mileage and did strengthening exercises specifically to target my quads (though this didn't do nearly as much as the orthotic support). But this is only what worked for me. Depending upon the cause of your popping and pain you may need a different approach. I'd first look at the potential shoe issues, as John pointed out, then see a sports med doc and/or podiatrist if the solution is not as simple as different footwear.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

SMART Approach

You may need to get it looked at but it could be a tracking issue. Patellar tendon could be off track and clicking. Strength training is a strong option like walking or standing lunges, 1/2 or 3/4 one leg squats, step ups and even straight leg raises from seated or on elbows position. Of course any pain with the above, then stop.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com