Why is 50 mpw a magic number? (Read 1588 times)

JimR

I don't even think in terms of hours. I think of how often I can get out, and make sure I've got those few key runs where I need to be out for a certain period of time, or distance if I'm training for something specific. I had a couple of really big Thursday's last summer when I'd done 8-9 miles in the morning, do about 40-45 minutes worth at noon, and then did another hour plus circling a soccer field while my daughter was at practice in the evening. All the extra stuff was just done really easy. End of the week, just add it all up.

Feeling the growl again

I've seen it used again and again. Why not 45, or 55, or 100? Everyone is different. Some will respond to more mileage better than others. I averaged 50 mpw for 8 weeks and my body fell apart. 6 months later and I'm barely back to 20mpw.
      It's not. 70mpw is the magic number for me. 100 mpw was downright miraculous. neither means anything unless accompanied by several weeks or similar numbers on both sides. If attempting to acheive this results in failure, one or two 70 mpw means nothing (ie don't do it if it injures you).

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Not 50. 49 is the magic number. After all, 49 is the square of 7 which is a prime number and lucky seven. And 7x6 is 42 which is the number of kilometers in a marathon and the answer to life, the universe, and everything. In short, always run in multiples of 7. - R

Feeling the growl again

Not 50. 49 is the magic number. After all, 49 is the square of 7 which is a prime number and lucky seven. And 7x6 is 42 which is the number of kilometers in a marathon and the answer to life, the universe, and everything. In short, always run in multiples of 7. - R
          Well CRAP. My AM run used to be 7 miles, but now my evening run is usually 8 miles. No wonder I used to be faster.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills