glucosamine chondroitin (Read 3199 times)

Maggie & Molly

I asked my Dr about it recently. She said that if it works - you know it almost immediately, if after two months you still have aches, etc then you might as well stop taking it since it won't ever help. My hubby's Dr told him that anyone over the age of 35 should take it as a part of their daily vitamins. All in context I guess....

"It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop."
    Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363

mshue

I think someone else mentioned turmeric already. Turmeric apparently has great antioxidant and anti-inflammatory qualities. You can get turmeric supplements everywhere.
        I think someone else mentioned turmeric already. Turmeric apparently has great antioxidant and anti-inflammatory qualities. You can get turmeric supplements everywhere.
        Or you can eat curry.
        Next goal: Great Wall Marathon

Certifiably Insane

Something to keep in mind: Since these are supplements, and not drugs, they are not regulated or really checked by anyone. For that reason, you have to be sure of what you're buying. There are various independent labs (Consumer Labs may have been one of them.) that test the content of different supplements. Some brands actually only contained a small % of the amount claimed on the label. Don't go with the really cheap stuff. I've been using the 'Now' brand combo for quite a while. (When I can afford it. A good-quality combo of both G and C isn't cheap.) I've had good results with it. I have a knee that has given me trouble for several years, and G-C does seem to help. Boron and MSM seemed to help when combined with those, at least for me. Do your research on any brand before you sink the money into it. If you find a good brand, I'm convinced it will help. A couple of other things I've had success with are turmeric and Devil's Claw. The turmeric is easy to do. I just buy a bag in bulk from our local co-op, and a bag of empty gelatin capsules. Then I make my own. I take two a day with my other vitamins/supplements. Yes, it is a bit spicy, and I have to warn you that I have a cast-iron stomach. (You'd be amazed at how much fresh garlic I can swallow before I even notice it. No, I don't have any friends, at least ones that will get close to me. Big grin) The Devil's Claw is pretty inexpensive, at least from Now. I've experimented with a lot of things to keep my knee going. It's been a battle, so I may have more to add as I think of them.
          On the road since 1978! "To be good is not enough when you dream of being great." I am not obsessed! I'm just INTENSE! "Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool." Why? Because race results stay on Google forever! (Reasonably recent) PR's: 5K - 16:40 10K - 35:04 HM - 1:18:30

Tiefsa

SportJester - "So the organic solution is to become a better runner... " I hurt my knees at work and had to have both of them scoped. I don't think the problem lies in becoming a better runner. I never had these problems before surgery, thank you kindly.
            mshue

Definitely look into turmeric. Seems to work for me. And as jim9090 suggests, go for the curry!

Certifiably Insane

I hurt my knees at work and had to have both of them scoped. I don't think the problem lies in becoming a better runner. I never had these problems before surgery, thank you kindly.
                I hear you! Don't get me started on my knee scope. Let's just say that my other knee gives me aches now and then, and NOBODY is going to touch it. I'll live with it as is, thank you kindly.
                On the road since 1978! "To be good is not enough when you dream of being great." I am not obsessed! I'm just INTENSE! "Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool." Why? Because race results stay on Google forever! (Reasonably recent) PR's: 5K - 16:40 10K - 35:04 HM - 1:18:30

Tiefsa

Well - I think after reading everything hear, I'm going to give it a go. I'll see what my local Wal-Mart has to offer and start taking some. Thank you all for the information.
                  wyerock

Actually, neither are drugs.
                    Anything you absorb into your body that can alter function could be a drug. What you meant to say is that G&C are not defined as drugs by the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act, and therefore not controlled and restricted by the government as such. Pretending "herbal supplements" are not "drugs", which implies they have no effect, could be dangerous.
                      I have a question does MSM with glucosamine chondroitin help. Has there been any research on this. I have taken this and I don't know if it does anything my joints are pretty much the only are that hasn't hurt in the last few years.

SMART Approach

It is a good adjunct but not a guarantee to work better. Some people respond better to MSM than others just like with Glucosamine.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

#artbydmcbride

My friend is telling me to take HA (hyaluronic acid) for my joints now. Any information?

Runners run

Anything you absorb into your body that can alter function could be a drug. What you meant to say is that G&C are not defined as drugs by the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act, and therefore not controlled and restricted by the government as such. Pretending "herbal supplements" are not "drugs", which implies they have no effect, could be dangerous.
                            Not really.
                            For message board success, follow these three easy steps in the correct order: 1) Read, 2) Comprehend, 3) Post.

SMART Approach

My friend is telling me to take HA (hyaluronic acid) for my joints now. Any information?
                              You (orthos I mean) can inject HA like Supartz into the knee (assuming you have osteoarthritis) with great results, but I don't think you will notice any benefit taking orally.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

AroundTheHorn

I tried taking glucosamine chondroitin for about three months just to see if it would help my knee and I can't say that I noticed much of a difference. I did have knee surgery not long after taking the product and the pain and swelling that I used to notice went away completely. I am very flexible and focus a great deal of my workouts on stretching and light aerobics.
                                what exactly was you diagnosis?
                                Roads, where we're going we don't need any....roads.