The knee (Read 928 times)

Well, I have a knee injury. I get an ache around my kneecap that gets progressively worse as I run. It's probably from me being dumb as I had a recent large increase in mileage from 22 mpw to 27 over two weeks. So what should I do now? Obviously, I'm taking a few weeks off from running, but can I still lift weights (squats, deadlifts, and the like that are knee intensive)? Also, would a low impact cardio like ellipticals be good or should I just stay off the knee completely? Also, would this be ITBS or runner's knee? It seems to be runner's knee giving the type of pain, but I'm not sure. The pain is kind of all around the kneecap not just along the outside. Sometimes it vaguely feels like I need to pop my knee.
      Well, I have a knee injury. I get an ache around my kneecap that gets progressively worse as I run. It's probably from me being dumb as I had a recent large increase in mileage from 22 mpw to 27 over two weeks. So what should I do now? Obviously, I'm taking a few weeks off from running, but can I still lift weights (squats, deadlifts, and the like that are knee intensive)? Also, would a low impact cardio like ellipticals be good or should I just stay off the knee completely? Also, would this be ITBS or runner's knee? It seems to be runner's knee giving the type of pain, but I'm not sure. The pain is kind of all around the kneecap not just along the outside. Sometimes it vaguely feels like I need to pop my knee.
      This sounds similar to what I have right now. At first it would start hurting around 6 miles. Then it progressively got worse until I could only go 2-3 miles. I took 7 days off with no running at all thinking that would help. Today I went out and sure enough it started hurting around mile 2. It's not something nagging that I can push through either. I have to actually stop. I guess I'll go to the doctor now.
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Sounds like runner's knee. I am finally shaking a month+ long bout with it. Mine never got super bad (a year ago I had it after a long car trip 2 days after a race and I felt like my knee was being stabbed and I couldn't walk down hills or steps well at all), but was there on-and-off enough that it really was nerve-wracking. Mine set in a couple of weeks prior to starting marathon training (I think mostly from not taking enough of a recovery after a 25k in May). What has really helped is doing quad-strengthening exercises and wearing a patella strap for most of my runs (this isn't a cure, but it helps keep the kneecap tracking a bit better as the tendons and muscles around the knee heal).

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

What has really helped is doing quad-strengthening exercises and wearing a patella strap for most of my runs (this isn't a cure, but it helps keep the kneecap tracking a bit better as the tendons and muscles around the knee heal).
          Did you use the sleeve kind? Or just the strap that goes under your kneecap? I'll pick up one of these and see if it helps tomorrow.
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Just the strap that goes underneath, but I have on order a Cho-Pat Dual whatever dohicky strap--goes over and under the kneecap, which can help with q-angle issues for women. Funny, now that I have that strap on it's way my knee seems to not be problematic at all. So that's the key--purchase something to help your knee and it will HTFU by suggestion. Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

Giants Fan

Zoomy, Just went in to doctor today and was told to try that strappy thing, where do you pick them up? CC

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Zoomy, Just went in to doctor today and was told to try that strappy thing, where do you pick them up? CC
                I got mine at Meijer or Dick's or someplace. Lots of companies make them. Mine is just basic, velcro-adjusts, and is machine-washable (I put it in a delicates bag, then hang dry). This is the one I ordered that should work even better (even though my knee seems to be doing a LOT better in recent days--*knock on wood*):

~ Sarah Kay

I picked up one last night and tried an easy 2 miler with it today. It didn't seem to hurt as bad. I'm gonna try 3 tomorrow. MTA: I picked up a cheap one from Walmart that is just a strap under the kneecap. It has a little tube inside it to provide some support.
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

MTA: I picked up a cheap one from Walmart that is just a strap under the kneecap. It has a little tube inside it to provide some support.
                    Yep, that's pretty much what mine is. Not sure what the tub is made of in mine, but it's a firmer, flexible material built inside the strap. Works well. Managed ~15 miles today...felt like crap, but my knee was good. I think my new strap just arrived in the mail, so I will try that later in the week to compare.

~ Sarah Kay

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Good job on the long run, Kirsten! Was it hot?
                      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Good job on the long run, Kirsten! Was it hot?
                        Nah...probably just too much too soon after my weekend race and I need to start bringing more than 20oz with me for a 3 hour run. I was starting to obsess over houses with outdoor faucets and finally had to stop and walk a mile when I didn't see any. But it was one of those runs where I never found my groove. Normally after 2-3 miles I hit cruising pace and can go for a long while, but every step was making me think of my pillow with increasing fondness. Oh, and I got sunburned. Black eye Gotta start using that Coppertone Sport spray on my neck, chest, shoulders, and upper back.

~ Sarah Kay