What caliber gun do you carry? (Read 1836 times)

mikeymike

This is where mikey posts "Come on now."

Sorry, I was tied up in meetings.

Runners run

yuanyelss

A 45 ACP is one of the most popular self defense calibers and a popular police caliber.  It has a measly 950 fps muzzle velocity...

NOW we're getting somewhere!

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

empty1971

Let's just hope you never have to find out.

I live and run in mountain lion and bear country.  Early morning long runs sometimes include a little excess weight.

http://worththehurt.blogspot.com/
          keeponrunning

Let's just hope you never have to find out.

I live and run in mountain lion and bear country.  Early morning long runs sometimes include a little excess weight.

That's a little different than carrying it in the city.  Mountain lions and bears are not animals you want to mess with.  

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

laufenem

Empty1971 and others who run armed in bear/cat country, could I get some advice on carrying a gun while running? Like what model do you carry, and what sort of holster is the best? I would never usually consider carrying extra weight, but I saw a bunch of cougar tracks while running last weekend, and it occurred to me that a gun might be an option. But is it a good choice? Would a cat obliterate me before I could even draw the thing? Bears are a different story, but there are not bears where I am running. Thank you.

empty1971

Empty1971 and others who run armed in bear/cat country, could I get some advice on carrying a gun while running? Like what model do you carry, and what sort of holster is the best? I would never usually consider carrying extra weight, but I saw a bunch of cougar tracks while running last weekend, and it occurred to me that a gun might be an option. But is it a good choice? Would a cat obliterate me before I could even draw the thing? Bears are a different story, but there are not bears where I am running. Thank you.

Yeah, a cougar is likely going to be on you before you even know he's there, but they have to be convinced that you're not worth the effort. 

Bears are typically going to avoid you (at least black bears), but you can surprise them.  I've happened upon a bear on the trail and we both scared the willies out of each other.

First things first, you need to find out what your state laws are concerning carrying a weapon (concealed or open carry) and be sure to comply with those.  handgunlaw.us is a good resource that collects this kind of info on a state by state basis.  Whether being prepared to defend yourself (against four-legged or two-legged dangers) is a very personal decision.  defensivecarry.com is also a helpful online community with a number of running enthusiast. 

I have a Camelback fanny pack that i've modified to nicely hold a j-frame revolver in a way that is not noticeable to others, but accessible if need be.  Regarding the weight, if held near your core in a stable platform, the weight is not very noticeable.

http://worththehurt.blogspot.com/
                laufenem

Thank you very much. That's helpful. As a woman, I try to always run with other people on the trails, but it often happens that I'm either faster or slower than other people and end up alone out there.