"Pink Slime" in 70% of U.S. Ground Beef (Read 1364 times)

Scout7

Orc cracklins are yummy umame.

Are they kosher?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I think that the undead are pareve, so possibly orc are too.

I'll have to check with the Rebbe. Some think him undead too.

xor

Orcs aren't undead, dammit.

Well, ghost orcs might be.

A Saucy Wench

Orks are intelligent creatures.  Why would you eat the  King of the air?

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Orcs aren't undead, dammit.

What evidence do you have to support this assertion?

xor

What evidence do you have to support this assertion?

Because the "turn undead" spell is ineffective against them. 

Duh.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Red meat is really bad for the cow.

Feeling the growl again

Study: All red meat is bad for you.

From the article: "Carol Koprowski, a professor of preventive medicine at USC's Keck School of Medicine who wasn't involved in the research, cautioned that it can be hard to draw specific conclusions from a study like this because there can be a lot of error in the way diet information is recorded in food frequency questionnaires, which ask subjects to remember past meals in sometimes grueling detail."

In other words, if someone gave you a survey and wanted you to accurately report every meal and portion size you had had for the past week/month, how accurate do you really think it would be?  Now multiply that error across the temporal spread and large number of subjects.  How did the study account for this error?  They gave percentage differences in risk, but what was the p value or standard deviations?

Also, association =/= causation.  AGAIN.  How did they control for other variations in diet?  People who make a conscious decision not to eat meat likely are watching their diet much more closely and thinking about health more than the average person....who probably eats an average amount of meat...and this selection bias could lead to meat looking bad even if it has no real effect.

I find it interesting that the lead author on a 20-year study is a postdoc who may have been in diapers when the study was designed.

I hear that being alive increases your risk of dying by 100%.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I agree with spaniel, except this:

People who make a conscious decision not to eat meat likely are watching their diet much more closely and thinking about health more than the average person

Loads of vegetarians eat like crap. Loads of non-meat processed foods and cheese and other stuff that ain't broccoli.

xor

Red meat is really bad for the cow.

Providing free milk is not bad for the cow, but it is still viewed as something wrong. At least for those trying to sell cows.

Feeling the growl again

I agree with spaniel, except this:

Loads of vegetarians eat like crap. Loads of non-meat processed foods and cheese and other stuff that ain't broccoli.

Could be.  Not the ones I know, but you probably know more of them than me.  Of course, according to the study, it's the meat that's the offender and they didn't implicate any of that stuff.

Kind of goes back to my skepticism as to the validity of any study....especially a poorly designed/execute one...which implicates a single factor in a complex interaction as having such a dramatic effect.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

A Saucy Wench

here is the rebuttal from those who think you should eat MORE red meat - but not pink slime.  Interesting graphs on other lifestyle factors correlated with red meat intake (e.g. those who eat more red meat tend to smoke more, eat more and exercise less) .  I think mostly in support of the correlation = /= causation

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Feeling the growl again

here is the rebuttal

Thanks. I laughed.  Eloquently put.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Kind of goes back to my skepticism as to the validity of any study....especially a poorly designed/execute one...which implicates a single factor in a complex interaction as having such a dramatic effect.

It may be worth reading the original study rather than the mass media interpretation. Archives of Internal Medicine has some standards.

Even though EVERY study has flaws.