2024 Advanced Training and Racing Thread (still competitive jerks) (Read 282 times)

DavePNW

Dave - I'm curious how do you feel at the end of that 3h20 run ? Especially that last hour 3h20. Is it a grind ?

Yes. But like I said, I view it as much an exercise in mental toughness as anything.

Dave

DavePNW

Hi Dave - totally agree with you. Two hours can be enough if you run 6 minute miles. Unfortunately my easy/long run pace is more like 5.30-6minutes per KM! I have run and completed 2 marathons; I think I know what my body needs to being able to complete it without bonking. It's a combo of a lot of miles and occasional 150 - 180min runs. Currently I am ok with 2hr max - but I can stretch my boredom tolerance out out over time; currently on a countdown with 19 weeks to go and often listen to true crime or trail running podcasts (I need something easily digestible due to mental fatigue). I have tried group runs, but haven't yet found the right crowd that clicks and I am so particular with timing (not on weekends, ideally super early in the morning), that I had a hard time finding running buddies. I am sensitive to spending my money for the half marathon distance - somehow I subcontiously believe that it isn't right to spend time, travel and money for just a 90-100 minute experience. That doesn't mean that I am drawn to Ultras though. Anyhow, thanks for your thoughts on this!

Mick - of course everyone has to figure out what works best for them, usually by trial and error (and error and error). My LR pace is similar, in the 8:30-9:00/mi (5:15-5:30/km) range; those 3h20+ runs were when I was feeling even slower, ~9:15/mi+ (5:45). So when people say "don't go more than 2.5 hrs," that gets me only to about 17 mi (27 km), which I don't think is enough. It's just a different calculus for faster people. I never push my easy pace, I just run it by feel, but I really wish it was faster just to get my runs done more quickly, lol. Some say to just go by time anyway, but I like to get the miles in.

Dave

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Flavio - I'll get in something of a taper for a 5k. My coach actually just pointed out a track 5000m (I've only done a single 1mi race on a track) in a couple weeks that isn't on any of the usual race sites. It's 6 days ahead of the road 5k, but that shouldn't be an issue if I were to do both. Maybe train through the first and taper a touch for the second? Sounds like a conversation for my coach.

Merkle - It's just kind of a perception, but one that I know is tricky. I'm looking back two years (when I was doing more short, fast stuff like now, skipping last year due to ultra stuff) and I was running faster then. My training then was flawlessly uninterrupted (This year I took a week off for a trip with the wife, lost maybe 3 weeks here and there due to different illnesses). And the races I did then (or even last year) had somewhat better course profiles and were in better weather. So things may not be what I'm thinking they are, but it's difficult to not make such comparisons.

In looking further into a race from a couple years ago and the workout I just did (comparing 1 mile sections, even the first mile of the race and my final mile of the workout) the race split was faster by a few sec/mi at the same power (from Stryd), but it was dead flat during the race and the workout had a tiny bit of elevation gain. My HR was considerably lower (10bpm) during the workout, though, even trying to account for a 10F hotter temp during the race. So maybe things aren't as bad as they look.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

August 31 - Brookhaven 5k

October 13 - Prairie Fire Half

November 2  - Crossroads Marathon

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

MickJogger - With 3 hour long runs or any long runs I would always download a new rock/punk rock album to listen to and I’d be so engrossed that the time would just fly by! If you aren’t into music then maybe listen to an interesting podcast?

Folks, I have found something that I’m even better at than running/golfing and that is….bicycling!  I did a 40 mile ride yesterday on my Yamaha Virago bicycle and not only did I reach some phenomenal speeds, but my legs don’t have any aches at all this morning!  I’m very excited as I know I can win some competitions… so watch this space! 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

This is the bicycle that I plan to train and race with over the next few months and before anyone asks….no, it’s not electric powered as I have integrity and don’t believe in trying to gain an advantage unfairly.

shouldbedeleted

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey - What do you think of the youtuber "Bald and Bankrupt", IIRC he used to be your neighbour in Brighton.

Also, you remind me a lot of a series of memes with the Skeletor 😂

I don’t know him so will need to Google!

I have donated blood in the past…and any person I helped has probably become awesome. 👍

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Flavio - 5x5, not 3x5! Each time I hit a new PR I can update it in Garmin Connect and it will estimate a 1RM for that lift. It only takes into consideration the number of reps done in a single set, though, not multiple sets, so it's likely a tiny bit conservative.
                    Ok, you've convinced me regarding the track 5000. But my 5k PR (and certainly your faster one) are safe for now. I may well get a VDOT update out of a race result, but I don't think that I'm anywhere near sub 18 shape (at least not in this weather).

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

August 31 - Brookhaven 5k

October 13 - Prairie Fire Half

November 2  - Crossroads Marathon

Half Crazy K 2.0

Debunking. Garmin Connect will calculate one rep max?! Oooohhh, this is really good to know.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

The crazy woman has posted in this thread again!  Someone who runs outside in the fresh air with a mask on. 😂😂😂

The one thing I realised during “Covid” was that there were many brain dead sheep….and a minority of people who were capable of critical thinking.

Try as you may, seems like you can’t stop being a dick, eh?

50+ age-group PBs:  Half Perish 1:24:24 (June '23 Road Race) - 10km 37:52 (2022 Local Road Champs) - Track 5km 18:49 (Aug '22) - Perish Run 3:17:42

2024 Goals: Road/Track 10km Sub 38:00 - 5km Sub 18:30

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Try as you may, seems like you can’t stop being a dick, eh?

I have strong opinions, but I guess it’s easier for you to call me a dick rather than challenge me on what I say.

Jog on.

Marky_Mark_17

I have strong opinions, but I guess it’s easier for you to call me a dick rather than challenge me on what I say.

Jog on.

I've challenged you on what you say numerous times and frequently it ends in you calling me a dick, so that retort isn't gonna work for you.

Someone turns up with a valid comment and your first instinct is to have a dig about something you already had a dig about in the past.  You got told by multiple people you were a dick for doing it then, and Hash is absolutely right, you're a dick doing it again now.  For someone who is one of the oldest guys on the thread, you sure act like a child sometimes.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Runway5 / National 5k Champs, 16:22, National Masters AG Champ!

Up next: Still working on that...

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Steve just saw your race result. Baffling. How are you coping now that time has passed?

Would also add from my Grandma's experience when I went in with what I thought was clear PR/MM shape and bombed on a pretty good weather day - bad sleep and logistics and such can really fuck things up, even if you somehow feel fine the day of. The adrenaline can only take you so far in the marathon

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19)