Aahhhhhhhh! (That felt good) (Read 1353 times)

theyapper

On the road again...

First off, the thread found http://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/82b7a41b599249acb068d3db8c2c7213/0 is full of great information and was posted just in time to confirm what I was experiencing. I'm in W9 of the Hal Higdon Half Marathon training and I chose to follow the Intermediate one even though this will be my first half. The biggest reason was that the mileage in the novice plan was quite a bit lower than what I was already doing. I found that for the first few weeks or so, I LOVED the tempo runs and the intervals. I even enjoyed the pace runs, even though they wore me out. But over time, I found myself struggling on the longer runs even though I was running them slower. It just seemed that the endurance wasn't there and I was baffled. I came in from my long run (10 miles) this past week-end frustrated and sure that I'd bitten off more than I can chew in the half four weeks from now. Then I saw the above mentioned thread about dropping speedwork and just running easy miles instead. I listened to my body and to the wisdom of a lot of smart runners here and this week I've run easy. Really easy. 2 minutes a mile slower at times easy. What a relief. Today I ran just over 5.5 miles and I almost cried during the fourth mile because I couldn't remember the last time I'd still been enjoying a run four miles in. I actually finished the run and felt like I could do more. Heck, I WANTED to do more. Best of all, I know I can run that half. Maybe not as fast as I want or hope to, but finishing it will be no problem. Thanks, quotidianlight, for starting that other thread and asking the question that helped me enjoy running as much as I ever have! Hopefully this thread can pay it forward for others, too.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Awesome! I'm glad you've found your love of running again. I think starting to dislike runs can often (but not always) be a sign of needing to change up training.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

theyapper

On the road again...

I don't think I was in danger of quitting or hating the runs. I could just tell that my body was starting to say 'no' to the training in regards to feeling like I was making progress. Dropping the speedwork and doing easy runs instead may have as much to do with my mental prep for the half as my physical prep. It now seems doable again.

Paul

That is actually a very good thread. We have a lady who is trying very hard and giving a 100% effort but making mistakes because she has the wrong trainning plan. Change a few things at the advice of other more experienced runners, and all of a sudden she will make great strides. Im guessing she will do very well. Im 56 and wish there would have been RA and such informatin 30 years ago when I was getting hurt all the time (from running too fast, not running far enough and every other possible mistake you can imagine) and didnt have anyone to talk to.....I would have been a far better runner for many more years if I had had access to this information and support... Speed work is great stuff, but it can also really get in your way and put you out of business.......most people make their greatest improvements just by running longer, slower and staying healthy...... You might also want to read all the information in this web site http://runbayou.com/ which is jam packed with GREAT information concerning training - how fast to train, how fast to do interval training and on and on......this is all based on the Dr Jack Daniels training philosophy and I have found it to really help me over the past few months......I was directed to this web site during a running forum on how guys in their 50's can become much faster at 5K and 5 miles (which is my current focus). This information is geared to any distance, the people who put it together are Marathoners... Give it a read and see it you can benefit for this info too..... Smile Big grin Wink Tongue

Champions are made when no one is watching

theyapper

On the road again...

Great stuff on that site, John. I've bee there before. Smile You just can't stress enough the importance of easy and recovery runs. I think I just got carried away sometimes with keeping too close of an eye on pace, speed, etc. on what should have been easy so my body could recover. I've learned my lesson and this week has been so much better.

Paul

You just can't stress enough the importance of easy and recovery runs. I think I just got carried away sometimes with keeping too close of an eye on pace, speed, etc. on what should have been easy so my body could recover. I've learned my lesson and this week has been so much better.
              Your right about that, and I have been hurt so many times for just that reason and 'FINALLY' at the ripe old age of 56 have figured it out and am now starting to run better then I did during most of my 30's and 40's....just from slowing down and enjoying my recover and easy runs.....instead of always trying to beat my last time or run faster or run further....... It FINALLY sunk in...... Smile Big grin Wink Tongue These concepts take some of us a little longer to grasp......

theyapper

On the road again...

just from slowing down and enjoying my recover and easy runs.....instead of always trying to beat my last time or run faster or run further.......
                Huge statement! That was one of the things I took away from the Run Bayou site you linked to: do not give in to the temptation to turn EVERY run into an opportunity to beat the time you ran before. That's what the RACES are for.

Paul

Thanks for the shout out. It is nice to know that thread helped others as it helped me. In addition, thank you John A for that link! One question though, when I try to run slower than 11:30 pace for an easy run I find it hurts... A LOT! does that mean that my form is jacked at slower speeds or that my body shouldn't run slower than that?
                  You may find my running Vlog at Run Cast TV and my running log here
                    Thanks for the shout out. It is nice to know that thread helped others as it helped me. In addition, thank you John A for that link! One question though, when I try to run slower than 11:30 pace for an easy run I find it hurts... A LOT! does that mean that my form is jacked at slower speeds or that my body shouldn't run slower than that?
                    Possibly (but maybe not)....It takes a little getting used to also. i know that now, that I am running more miles (average between 30 and 40 MPW) I am finding it easier to run slower... I also run my slow days in the 11 to 11:30 category and can sometimes run a little slower.... If you have someone that can help you with your form that would be nice.... You dont want to run too slow...so I would say that if it hurts too much to just slow down as much as you can and still be comfortable for some number of miles..... experiment around a little ... Keep us posted too...... Big grin Wink Smile Tongue Clowning around

theyapper

On the road again...

Thought I'd give an update, too, and ask a question. This week I did no speedwork. Just nice, easy runs. My body is very thankful, too. Today I did my longest run to date - a bit over 11 miles. My pace was around 10:20/mile and I was able to talk (to myself!) all the way through the run and felt relaxed. My heart rate averaged around 160 and the highest was 181 (which came on a steep 21 degree incline at the end of the run). Here's the question: I too can relate to what quotidian said above about the slow runs being very uncomfortable, but when I run by HR, I keep trying to get slower so I can keep the HR in the 130s and 140s max. Today I wore the HRM but intentionally didn't check it until after the run. I was surprised my average was in the 160s because I never felt tired (except on that steep hill at the end). I suppose I could have run 11:30 miles and my HR would have stayed lower than it did, but is it possible that I'm in better shape than I think and my body can handle the 150s and 160s as easy? This kind of stuff is hard for someone like me to figure out because I have no prior running experience to draw from. I need and appreciate help from those of you here who have run much longer than I have. Thanks.

Paul

Someone else will have to answer this question........ I dont have a HRM and can guarantee that I'll never buy one cause i think it makes running to complicated. I do know that on those rare occassions when i run on a Tread Mill I do check my Heart rate and its always way higher then they say i should be maintaining (if that means anything)........ I dont like gadgets and simply run based on how I feel...........I like to say that I run like Luke Skywalker and OBie Wan -- I just go out there and 'USE THE FORCE'..........Ill be honest with you Yapper, I think you may be trying to make this running stuff to complicated.....Just run and feel good and enjoy it...... Least that's my $.02....

theyapper

On the road again...

Ill be honest with you Yapper, I think you may be trying to make this running stuff to complicated.....Just run and feel good and enjoy it......
                          Thanks for the honesty. I don't think I'm making it too complicated - at least, I hope I'm not. I'm much more into how my body is feeling and responding during a run than I am the information from the HRM. That's really why i asked the question, because my guess is some would say my HR was too high today during the run, but man, did I feel good while I did it! That's what I'm focused on - enjoying the runs, feeling like I could do more when I'm finished, and letting the speed and junk take care of itself over time. Not trying to make it hard, just trying to understand. The point you made about your HR being higher when you check it on the treadmill even though you feel good rings true with me. That's exactly what I'm talking about.

Paul

Thanks for the honesty. I don't think I'm making it too complicated - at least, I hope I'm not. I'm much more into how my body is feeling and responding during a run than I am the information from the HRM. That's really why i asked the question, because my guess is some would say my HR was too high today during the run, but man, did I feel good while I did it! That's what I'm focused on - enjoying the runs, feeling like I could do more when I'm finished, and letting the speed and junk take care of itself over time. Not trying to make it hard, just trying to understand. The point you made about your HR being higher when you check it on the treadmill even though you feel good rings true with me. That's exactly what I'm talking about.
                            Hmmm - i dont have an answer on this......i really dont even have a idea. I do know that if you check your resting heart rate daily and find it up one day, your run will be harder as this is an indicator that you need some rest - beyond that I just don't know (and i dont do it either).... You are probably smart to try to analyze and understang..... Big grin Wink Tongue Clowning around

theyapper

On the road again...

Thanks, John. The only thing I know for sure is that I'll keep running while I try to figure it out. Big grin

Paul

Future running partner.

I've read from Jack Daniels that some people when they try to run slower, loose good form. He mentioned that what happens, is that in effort to run slower the stride tends to bounce higher causing greater shock on the legs and at the same time becomes less mechanically efficient. As a result, by trying to run slower your not making it any easier on yourself. My suggestion is while trying to run slower shorten your stride and try to keep your feet close to the ground, so it appears you are shuffling along. If you are still feeling a lot of pain when running slower, then don't run any slower, just do what feels comfortable. theyapper66--- To answer your question, I may get somewhat technical. The main purpose behind easy running is to produce a stimulus that develops your aerobic system. Mostly your muscles ability to produce energy, with enough oxygen available (aerobic metabolism). A second purpose is to help recovery from hard runs and races by flushing out acidity from the muscles and increasing blood flow to help them repair. Now whether you run easy runs at 140 or 160 HR both goals can be accomplished. However by running at 160 which still feels easy, you are still stressing your self more than you are at 140, but you are not gaining that much more in benefits. So, you might as well stay at the lower effort for your easy runs. Leave the fast, stuff for races, Intervals, Tempo runs and speed work which are there to provide a different kind of stimulus. Some also say that by running slower you also develop the ability to use more fat as an energy source, which is very beneficial for long races that are 90 minutes or more.