Return to running, after hip replacement, and 35 years (Read 6287 times)

All the best to you.  Looking forward to reading about it.

and in another 16 months maybe you'll get your update. 

an amazing likeness

fairestoneofall,

I really think you should use your ortho Doc for information on your particular return to running.  There is so much variation in hip replacements in terms of hardware used, how much of the natural pelvic socket was retained, bone quality, etc, etc.

Telling 'em you want to run, and ask for their help in getting you out there is a good place to start.

On the half marathon training question --  Galloway has a long history of proven success, you're not going to go wrong by following his plans if the plan's structure is working for you now.  There are lots of online plans available from a lot of sources -- only a few are....let's say....'suspect' and worth of skeptical approach.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

fairestoneofall

fairestoneofall,

I really think you should use your ortho Doc for information on your particular return to running.  There is so much variation in hip replacements in terms of hardware used, how much of the natural pelvic socket was retained, bone quality, etc, etc.

Telling 'em you want to run, and ask for their help in getting you out there is a good place to start.

On the half marathon training question --  Galloway has a long history of proven success, you're not going to go wrong by following his plans if the plan's structure is working for you now.  There are lots of online plans available from a lot of sources -- only a few are....let's say....'suspect' and worth of skeptical approach.

Thanks. I do need to pay my ortho a visit. 

So far I'm doing well with Galloway's method. I'm stretching his 19 week program into 24 weeks. My plan is to move up more slowly on my long runs and really listen to my body. So far, the joints are doing well, but until today I had been having issues with my glute seizing. Today's long run was a success. I'm a bit fatigued, but not in pain.

an amazing likeness

So far, the joints are doing well, but until today I had been having issues with my glute seizing. Today's long run was a success. I'm a bit fatigued, but not in pain.

Aches and soreness are expected.

Pain is another thing. Do NOT run through distinct pain.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

fairestoneofall

Aches and soreness are expected.

Pain is another thing. Do NOT run through distinct pain.

Point noted, thank you. I actually started training back in May and I pushed myself too hard and ended up in pain. I took two months off and started again two almost three weeks ago. I've learned from my mistake. I'm not worrying about pace at this point, but about reaching my mile goal pain free. The pace increase will come with more training, hopefully.

ucrn

This is just the forum I have been looking for.  I have not run for several years because of severe hip pain.  Well I had my total hip a year ago in June and my surgeon said NO RUNNING, but just about everything else.  I feel better than ever and would like to start running again, at least get up to 3 miles a day.  So those of you who have had hip replacements, how are they holding up after running?  Mine is metal on metal with a large femoral head, that does not dislocate easily and does not have plastic insert to wear down.

RunningRebuilt

I may be the wrong person to ask for advice, but I can tell you I'm doing it and with success. I had total hip replacement February 2011. By late June I had paced a runner 24 miles in a 100 miles endurance race, having covered over 40 myself that day, jogging and hiking. I also raced my first Marathon by September, doing quite well. By November I had graduated to the 50k distance. I have completed several 50ks since and planing stepping up to the 100mile distance this June 2012. I'm not to say that what I'm doing is correct, but it can be done, running on a total hip. It was my second surgery do to a automobile accident that happened in my mid twenties. There was also some reconstruction needed to my pelvis. It hasn't been an easy road mentally. I ran cross country & track my whole life, and having that taken away when your not even 30 years old, being could you will never run again, that it's just not possible, well anything is possible. Like I said in the beginning of the post, I might be giving bad advice, but I'm running.
                LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Welcome!  Very refreshing to see someone still so aggressive after a full hip replacement.  Best of luck to you and keep us up to date on your progress.

I once went into a job interview and the first thing the guy brought up was the mention of running under the "interests" category of my resume.  He slapped an artificial hip on the table (it was an ortho device company) and said "you're going to need this in 20 years".  I shrugged and replied "better than a stent I guess".  I didn't get the job...

Did that company also manufacture prosthetic uteruses (uteri)?

Imminent Catastrophe

You are the people I admire much more than runners who are just fast.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

rotlaw11

Hello Everyone!

I had been so glad Wink with the all of those who recovered and be like nothing happens to run behind the surgery/operation had gone through. 

My sister undergone an operation with hip replacement and now she's done well. Hope she recover soon.

Other case my mother-in-law is been much complicated due to her hip replacement recall, hope she will get well soon. 

I had search with lots of company that would help us. You may visit here.

bonejoint

<colgroup><col width="254" /></colgroup>
                        Michigan Orthopedic Surgery
                        Looking forward to reading about it.

Me too. The replacement does affect the running much does it?

bonejoint

Michigan Orthopedic Surgery

Me too. The replacement does affect the running much does it?

Paulthomas

It's great that you have the will to start running again, considering there are young people that lead a sedentary lifestyle. Also you are lucky to be able to run because there are a lot of people with hip replacement implants that have difficulties with them.

juzaaaa

So I had cancer metastase in my proximal femur so I have around half of my femur replaced with artifical hip and I am addicted to running. In fact I dont need any pain medication for my other symptoms as long as I can run. I run around 25 miles a week. Slowly around 5 miles per hour since I also had  over hundred tumors removed from my lungs, so if I stop running my lungs will stop developing, because I hate all other sports. I am young only 21 so what can I do when this prothesis breaks?

Alice P

Hi there. I had a hip replacement on my left hip and gave up running which was a really hard thing to do. I love it so much. I am now running again and just did a 10K (WOO HOO!) after my friend did some research for me. There is a book called 'Running With A Hip Replacement' which she downloaded from Amazon for me. I don't know if it's available as a real book but it shows you how to run without jarring your hip. Wait I'll see if I can find it on Amazon... Here's the link (sorry it's huge).
                                http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D0VZSH6/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00D0VZSH6&linkCode=as2&tag=howtorunwitah-20

Good luck with your running!