Virtual Runs (Read 217 times)

A big pro of participating in virtual races is the camaraderie of your fellow "racers", 

Can they buy me a virtual beer at the virtual bar after I virtually PR ??

If so sign me up - - can I pay with virtual bitcoin?

Ready, go.

delicate flower

Hey, everyone. I work for ACTIVE.com 

Please do something about those service fees k thx.

<3

Hey, everyone. I work for ACTIVE.com and we recently wrote an article about Virtual Races. (http://www.active.com/running/articles/what-exactly-is-a-virtual-race)

"...but race organizers say the virtual race is a great option for those who want convenience."

Do you mean convenience for the race organizers? Or are you referring to the super gouge-tastic "convenience" fee that ACTIVE.com enjoys charging people?

"...but race organizers say the virtual race is a great option for those who want convenience."

Do you mean convenience for the race organizers? Or are you referring to the super gouge-tastic "convenience" fee that ACTIVE.com enjoys charging people?

Along with tons of personal information that they will resell to everyone and their brother.

Prince of Fatness

I work for ACTIVE.com 

You got guts kid. You got guts.

Not at it at all. 

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Just like Bob!

I laughed.

steph  

rlopez

Hey, everyone. I work for ACTIVE.com and we recently wrote an article about Virtual Races. (http://www.active.com/running/articles/what-exactly-is-a-virtual-race)

A big pro of participating in virtual races is the camaraderie of your fellow "racers", as there are often people from across the country communicating with and supporting each other from miles away. Many virtual races let you complete the distance at your own pace so there's a bit more flexibility for people who might not be ready to commit to a set race date.

Of course, there's always an opposing side to every argument. Some runners think virtual races take away from the race day experience and atmosphere.

Thanks for divulging that. Usually (over the past 8 or so years), Active employees show up pretending to be new runners who just happened to stumble across a magic "great article" on active.  Lame and a bit of a lie.

A big pro of participating in virtual runs that are filtered through the active network is more revenue for active. Well, that's a pro to active.  The rest of us don't care or get annoyed.

It would be nice if active had something that runners actually considered a positive (without a gnarly aftertaste)... and maybe you do. Unfortunately, enough negative crap has occurred that the brand itself is a strong negative to two sets of your customers - runners and RDs (dunno about the third set, advertisers, but I bet that part of active has a magic "way" too).  As with similar situations (Microsoft and Marathon Maniacs to name two), after awhile it gets harder and harder to turn that around. Possible.  An article touting the goodness of virtual runs here probably isn't gonna do it.