50 MPW is too many??? (Read 1225 times)

Half Fanatic #846

... the clerk ... told me that 25 is the correct number.
    This is extremely good information to know! I'm changing my lucky number to "25", plus, if I decide to run a marathon, it's only one more mile so that wouldn't be too bad. I assume you should get your 25 in early in the week just in case something comes up that would cause you to get an incorrect number such as 17 or 24 or 30. Then your knees would sure as heck let you know it! Wink

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

Old, Slow, Happy

It wasn't Dave's in Delta, was it?
      Actually, it was Dave's in Toledo. Modified to say: Do you live around me somewhere? I live in Pettisville.
      JimR

Have you decided who's right and who's wrong yet? Inquiring minds need to know.
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Here is the deal: studies show that people who run more than 50 miles per week all ultimately die.
          Ringmaster

Interestingly, I finished my first half with a lot of knee pain, and I topped out at 29mpw, with a highest mileage month of 118. This time around, my highest mileage month was 168, and I went over 40mpw several times. Yet I ran my race pain-free and set a PR. I credit smarter training--ran my easier runs easier, though I did add tougher speedwork, hill training, and longer long runs. MTA: Having said that, the cure to my knee pain was cutting back the mileage and hill and speedwork for a while and rebuilding smartly. To say 50mpw is too much for anyone is . . . well, just ridiculous. To say that any number is just right for everyone is . . . well, just ridiculous.

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
            Mile by Mile

Think Whirled Peas

He needs to run more Winter trail races in deep snow without snowshoes. Evil grin
              You should try it. I guarantee your knees won't be the parts that hurt the worst. Wink

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

A Saucy Wench

I think what cracks me up more than the 50 mpw is too much statement is the bold assertion that 25 is correct. I mean what is so perfect about 25. It isn't a multiple of 3 (and 3 is a magic number), it isnt prime ( prime numbers are cool according to my geek husband who was excited to turn a prime number this year) it isnt 42 which is the answer.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

You should try it. I guarantee your knees won't be the parts that hurt the worst. Wink
                  I had planned to do 8 miles today...but after 2 miles of running in ~6" of fresh white stuff I was pretty beat and shortened my "run" (had to walk some particularly icy stretches) to 6 miles. Wasn't the snow about a foot deep for that "race" you did? Crazy man. Roll eyes

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Wouldn't the lady sell more shoes if she tried to have people run more and more miles?

TRUST THE PROCESS

Mishka-old log

Actually, it was Dave's in Toledo. Modified to say: Do you live around me somewhere? I live in Pettisville.
                      Yes, I live in Swanton. Did that stone I threw the other day hit your house? Hmmmm. Wonder who you talked to at Dave's. More improtantly, I wonder if they tell the members of their racing team that 50 mpw is too much.
                        Wouldn't the lady sell more shoes if she tried to have people run more and more miles?
                        I dont know for sure, but I'm guessing she'd sell more shoes if she had half of an idea what she is talking about.....

Champions are made when no one is watching

Yes, I live in Swanton. Did that stone I threw the other day hit your house? Hmmmm. Wonder who you talked to at Dave's. More improtantly, I wonder if they tell the members of their racing team that 50 mpw is too much.
                          I'm only guessing here, but I bet if their racing team averages 25 miles per week, they probably dont win too many races (wonder if she is their coach?)...

Champions are made when no one is watching

Old, Slow, Happy

The lady was actually very helpful. I was planning to buy some Beasts when I got there. She made sure they were right for my feet and made sure I bought the right size. My feet are now officially size 13. I was a 12 five years ago when I started running. She said she does tris. I had just never heard anyone say that 50 miles was too many. Are you running the Midnight RUn on New Year's Eve or Dave's in January. If so, I'll see you there. PS: Dave's is a good running shop. It's by far the best in the area.
                              If you work up to it and level off every os often then the number 50 is very doable. I have only ever had an over use injury twice. Once when I stepped into training 35 miles a week after a layoff from running for 6 months or so and once following a marathon where I think the shoe I was wearing and a curb were more to blame. I run 40-60 miles a week almost all times. Allow your body to adapt to it and it will not be too rough.

"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas"  Davy Crockett

kcam

... She told me that 25 is the correct number. ...
                                The Shoe Clerk has spoken. Let it be proclaimed across the land.