Why Is the Republican Field So Extreme? (Read 2137 times)

Why is it sideways?

Isn't it as simple as this: Obama has captured the middle, and he's too strong there to meet head on. The only option is to run on the edge and hope the middle isn't exciting enough to turn people out.

Prince of Fatness

As for Republicans doing strange things, see: Palin for VP.  And I don't mean today's "Palin" product.  I mean what we knew when she

got added to the ticket.

I hear you.  I do wonder if I give them too much credit.  I think that the Palin VP thing was a failed attempt at offering something different, maybe to fight the whole "change" thing going on over on the other side.  In the end, there was no way that McCain was going to get that Bush mask that was super glued to his face off.  And the market tanking just prior to the election was the clincher.

Not at it at all. 

mikeymike

Isn't it as simple as this: Obama has captured the middle, and he's too strong there to meet head on. The only option is to run on the edge and hope the middle isn't exciting enough to turn people out.

No, because he hasn't captured the middle.  Maybe in 2008 he did and that's why he won but today, the middle is up for grabs not because of Obama's politics (which most neutral observers would describe as moderate and moving to the right) but because the economy still pretty much sucks.

It's as simple as this: every candidate moves to the extreme during the primaries then tacks hard to the middle during the general election.  And the current political climate is that the extremes are more extremes than usual.

Runners run

Prince of Fatness

I think that if unemployment stays as bad as it is the middle will bail on Obama.  I think that it is as simple as this ...... jobs.

Not at it at all. 

Why is it sideways?

I think that if unemployment stays as bad as it is the middle will bail on Obama.  I think that it is as simple as this ...... jobs.

Indeed. I liked your Romney analysis. I think he would be tough for Obama to beat because the guy exudes boring managerial competence. (Which is why I find it strange that he is tacking so hard to the right, but I guess that goes to Mikey's point.)

Anyways, seems like most Republicans here are opposed to extremism, and I hope you guys send a strong message to cut out the tomfoolery in the primaries. Smile

So the Candidates for 2012 are:

Mitt Romney

Rick Perry

Michele Bachmann

Jon Huntsman

Newt Gingrich

Sarah Palin

Ron Paul

Rick Sanatorum

Herman Cain

Gary Johnson

Fred Karger

Andy Martin

Thad McCotter

Jimmy McMillan

Tom Miller

Buddy Roemer

Vern Wuensche

For Presidential responsibility items, specifically, where are they extreme?

I've now read through all 18 pages, and most of the text is generalizations regarding all candidates (with some intermittent snippets regarding a couple of them).

But, back to the original post, help me understand what you see regarding these candidates.

I honestly don't see many specifics within the 180+/- posts....

Other than Gary Johnson's Mount Everest Summit and his multiple Kona appearances, I don't understand the extreme views that they appear to have....

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Why is it sideways?

mikeymike

Mitt Romney

Rick Perry

Michele Bachmann

Jon Huntsman

Newt Gingrich

Sarah Palin

Ron Paul

Rick Sanatorum

Herman Cain

Gary Johnson

Fred Karger

Andy Martin

Thad McCotter

Jimmy McMillan

Tom Miller

Buddy Roemer

Vern Wuensche

For Presidential responsibility items, specifically, where are they extreme?

If you don't think they are extreme then I guess the Republicans have nothing to worry about.  Their candidate, no matter which one wins, will have the broad-based appeal to win a presidential election.  Problem solved.

Next topic please.

Runners run

Other than Gary Johnson's Mount Everest Summit and his multiple Kona appearances, I don't understand the extreme views that they appear to have....

You might want to re-read WrigleyGirl's post. Human rights may not fall into your idea of  "presidential responsibility items," but they do for me.

Mitt Romney

Newt Gingrich

Sarah Palin

Ron Paul

It's awkward when you encounter the same candidates multiple times. 

Scout7

Anyways, seems like most Republicans here are opposed to extremism, and I hope you guys send a strong message to cut out the tomfoolery in the primaries. Smile

Not bloody likely, again because of the nature of primaries in general, and because of the current climate.

If you don't think they are extreme then I guess the Republicans have nothing to worry about.  Their candidate, no matter which one wins, will have the broad-based appeal to win a presidential election.  Problem solved.

Next topic please.

No, seriously, just name one for each of the major candidates.

I think that part of the game if for those that support the left to regain the moderates.  By making claims of extreme politics, it seems like those moderates may believe something (whether its true or not).  I know that a couple of them are extreme, and others may or may not be.  I'd like to read specifics rather than just accusations of their extreme viewpoints.

Life Goals:

You might want to re-read WrigleyGirl's post. Human rights may not fall into your idea of  "presidential responsibility items," but they do for me.

I read her post.  If it was the post of the small town "red-state" people at the coffee shops that think extreme things,

Modified: Sorry, Re-read the post... yes Bachman and Perry have, what some consider, an extreme view of homosexuals.

Life Goals:

Next topic please.

Mikey's really confirming his reputation these days as a problem solver.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus