Why Is the Republican Field So Extreme? (Read 2137 times)

C-R

My bad. Reading this place from a BB ain't easy. I still think the twitter feed is funny.

Where did I say that we could "print our way out of trouble." I said we couldn't.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Feeling the growl again

I just don't get the endless personal attacks. I am only, always, trying to defend and articulate points that I have made. In this case I responded to a post that explicitly attributed an idea to me that I didn't feel was adequately stated. You said you needed more coffee to understand it. I said your needed less and I explained my view. Somehow this means it is hard for me to stop and think? 

I will admit that I have a knee-jerk reaction to your constant mischaracterization of my ideas and relentless personal attacks. They suck. You should quit. Maybe one day you will succeed in running me off. Maybe one day I will succeed in ignoring you. Until then, we probably deserve each other.

You misquoted me plain and simple.  I said that they did not have a coherent message, NOT that they didn't have any goals.  Very different.

Just what, 2-3 days ago you made an unprovoked personal attack on me in another thread...several times recently, in fact.  All in response to honest and rational responses to conversation made by me with no personal attack on you.

Previously in PMs, I implored you to stop imagining personal attacks in my posts when none was intended.  Not only did you not accept such response as clarification that no personal attack was intended and that you mistook the posts, you responded that my refusal to apologize for those (imagined) personal attacks was only proof that I was attacking you all along.  

I clearly communicated that I desired a positive rapport with you want was trying to reach out and get along, and your reply was that "I don't want a f*cking olive branch".

While you like to post in rosy language to look intelligent here, behind the scenes you communicate primarily in 4-letter words.  In your own words, you "get pissed off because I distract from the brilliance of your posts".  Not only are you paranoid as to my intentions, but occasionally dillusional as to your brilliance.

If you constantly punish your kid for having their hand in the cookie jar when they are innocent, eventually they will realize that they might as well start stealing cookies and at least get some fun out of it, since they will be perceived to be the villain in the end anyways.  In other words, Jeff, you are simply living in the bed you made for yourself.  I wasted the better part of a year on an honest attempt to establish positive rapport with you...friended you on facebook, condolences when your grandfather died, compliments on your training and racing.  In return, I get paranoia and cussing.  Given your behavior, you should not be surprised when I gave up.

MTA:  You're hopelessly paranoid, and seem to suffer from both delusions of gradeur and significant insecurity at the same time.  I made more effort to make up and get along with you, as a faceless stranger on the internet, than anyone else I ever have.  Some people you just can't reach, but after as hard as I tried I sleep well at night about it.  You perceive every disagreement or counterpoint as a personal attack.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Hey, nice marmot!

I don't understand why AP gets to rant without solution (blame everyone?), but if the protesters in Wall Street decide to rant, they are called whiners.

AP's got personality.  Personality goes a long way with me.

Ben

"The world is my country, science is my religion."-- Christiaan Huygens

Dave

And if you've met him personally you know he has a quirky heart of pure gold.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Prince of Fatness

MTA:  As the personal attacks, I'd like to state that this community is richer because of both Jeff and Spaniel.

Agreed.  Richer because they are different people.  Different viewpoints are good. 

Not at it at all. 

mikeymike

Ah so by that rationale, if Jeff had more personality he'd cease to be a filthy animal?

Runners run

Dave

Agreed.  Richer because they are different people.  Different viewpoints are good. 

No.  They both run fast and that is ultimately what this place is all about.

Or maybe you have something with that whole different viewpoint thing.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

On our way to the Southern Festival of Books this afternoon, we got swept into a protest march for 2 blocks.

It rocked.

Prince of Fatness

No.  They both run fast and that is ultimately what this place is all about.

Or maybe you have something with that whole different viewpoint thing.

If it was just about running I would hate them because I'm a slow f$%k.

Not at it at all. 

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Yes, it's laudable to have a good handle on one's own financial situation, but trumpeting it that way makes him come off like a douche.  Lots of people aren't cut out to get advanced degrees in science or engineering.  Lots of people set a lower priority to their own financial well-being, and instead are focused on being good parents (not the same as being wealthy) and on being decent citizens.  They are more focused on giving than on acquiring.  They are people who volunteer, who teach, who spend hours each week helping at church or scouts or shelters.  They are factory workers, CNAs, road workers, custodians, clerks.  They need to make a living, but are not driven by greed.  I respect them over the bankers, brokers, executives, and the pundits and politicians who defend the tax breaks for big corporations and wealthy individuals.

MoBramExam

If all the fine citizens of Doucheville behaved as this young person has, it probably wouldn't be too bad a place to live.  He sounds exactly like the kind of folks who go to church, volunteer, and grow up to be good parents.

Feeling the growl again

Yes, it's laudable to have a good handle on one's own financial situation, but trumpeting it that way makes him come off like a douche.  Lots of people aren't cut out to get advanced degrees in science or engineering.  Lots of people set a lower priority to their own financial well-being, and instead are focused on being good parents (not the same as being wealthy) and on being decent citizens.  They are more focused on giving than on acquiring.  They are people who volunteer, who teach, who spend hours each week helping at church or scouts or shelters.  They are factory workers, CNAs, road workers, custodians, clerks.  They need to make a living, but are not driven by greed.  I respect them over the bankers, brokers, executives, and the pundits and politicians who defend the tax breaks for big corporations and wealthy individuals.

I fail to see anything in the letter photo'd there that indicates he has an advanced degree in science or engineering, intends to be a sloppy or absentee parent, or any of the other negative attributes you set there.

My parents were anything but well off, and had one degree between them.  I remember many years where we didn't know if we'd be able to keep the house.  There was even an ARM mortgage in there.  However, like this "kid", they owned that and eventually got themselves out of it without expecting a handout or playing victim to the bankers.  They were excellent parents who taught me not only the value of getting one's finances in order, but also of being a good person and giving generously to others -- in time or work, if money was not an option.

Income, fiscal responsibility and being a good/giving person are all independent qualities.

I could make a ton more money than I do, but I chose stability, geography and fewer work hours in favor of my family over earning power.  However, this does not mean I don't make sure my own fiscal house is in order as I give of money and time.  IMHO it is a poor stereotype to consider those who are well off -- or better than ones' self -- to be worse people or greedy simply because they have more.

And quite frankly...if you are so focused on giving that you end up with little to nothing...why is that the fault of anyone but yourself?  Why would you be angry at "the rich" or whoever for that?  I admire people who give a large share of what they have, but in the end that is a personal choice one is accountable for.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I cannot find anything wrong with what he wrote (he being the soon to be college graduate).

I don't believe that it's douchee, arrogant, or improper with his poster.

I believe that he was taught well, and I'd love to have my son (who'll be 18 next weekend) begin life with the same perspective as this young guy does.  (Wow, I just felt old writing that...).

I like the sacrifices he talks about (no iphone, ipad, ....).  

I like the fact that he doesn't have credit card debt.  

I like the fact that he's working 30 hours a week.

I like the fact that he studied hard (high school and college).

I hope that he can maintain sound decisions through life and that life challenges don't complicate things for him.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Hey, nice marmot!

Ah so by that rationale, if Jeff had more personality he'd cease to be a filthy animal?

Well we'd have to be talkin' about one charming motherfuckin' hippie. I mean he'd have to be ten times more charmin' than that Chong from Cheech & Chong, you know what I'm sayin'?

Ben

"The world is my country, science is my religion."-- Christiaan Huygens

They are people who volunteer, who teach, who spend hours each week helping at church or scouts or shelters.  They are factory workers, CNAs, road workers, custodians, clerks.

OK...but "they" are also bankers and brokers and executives. Maybe you didn't intend it that way, but your post reads as if a banker couldn't coach or volunteer or do any of the other great stuff that people do every day. That kind of "this group vs. that group" garbage is, well...garbage.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                                We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes