Would you count training runners longer than 26.2 miles as "marathons"? (Read 418 times)

AutBatgirl

I'd shit my pants laughing if that thing was at the end of her training run handing out medals.

See, now this would be worth the effort of racing.

No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.

rlopez

Link to said discussion page for those of us who may be bored?

It's a set of groups in facebook, not a discussion page.  You can find it by putting in "(month name) 100" into facebook's search box.  Such as "august 100" or "september 100".  It'll pop up stuff like #august 100miles challenge.  That's one of them.

Also, please helps.

an amazing likeness

For $34 you can love 2 run as well as the next buckle dragger....What's not to like?

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Birdwell

It's a set of groups in facebook, not a discussion page.  You can find it by putting in "(month name) 100" into facebook's search box.  Such as "august 100" or "september 100".  It'll pop up stuff like #august 100miles challenge.  That's one of them.

Also, please helps.

Thank you very much!

Please accept my sincere apologies for my lack of manners.

Good to see you back around these parts.

Also, please helps.

Hey, don't you owe me $2.00?

That hug at TCM is starting to wear off...........

just sayin'

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Good to see you back around these parts.

+1

steph  

beat

Break on through

I would consider it a "marathon" in my own mind, but I wouldn't consider it a marathon.  The "marathon" mileage still has a special milestone property that is fun to use for motivation.  The marathon is a (usually) public event on a specific day, time and course. There's a certain level of commitment and intent that's involved in running a marathon that isn't necessary for running a "marathon".  I ran a marathon this summer, and I was the only runner entered in it.  And it was probably a little short of 26.2 miles. But it was a public organized event that anyone could have signed up for or observed - The intent was there to have a race.  I paid my $5 entry and they gave me a numbered bib...   (it was held with a 5 mile and a 1 mile race - nobody else chose the marathon option.)   I'm not trying to join any club or set records with it though!

Later in the summer, I did a 26.5 mile training run through Macedonia Brook State Park. I called it the Macedonia Marathon in my log just for fun, but I wouldn't include that run in my answer to the question, "So, how many marathons have you run?".

"Not to touch the Earth, not to see the Sun, nothing left to do but run, run, run..."

Dream Maker

Nah. I've done lots of training runs longer than 26.2  and they're not marathons or ultras unless they are organized events.

Though an organized event can still be a training run.

Dream Maker

No one I know actually signed up and paid money to get the buckle. I didn't. It's more a motivational group for most.

Though I might laugh if someone actually got and wore the buckle.

Speaking of wanting a buckle for running 100 miles in a week, there's a fairly active presence on facebook over the last 4ish months... run 100 miles IN A MONTH, get a buckle for it.  Yes indeed.

At least no one has co-opted cufflinks.

spinach

These previous responses got me thinking and it raised a semi serious question for me about what to count as a marathon.  Back when I was in college I bandited Boston. The answer may be a bit harder to answer for Boston since back in the 1970s there was a good established and accepted tradition of running the Boston marathon as a bandit.  Should I add that one to my list of marathons?  This would have an impact on which of the marathons I ran this spring was my 50th.

Who cares whether you count it as a "marathon" in your own head or through a casual dialogue?

Who cares whether people care how you count your "marathon's"?

But...

Who do you tell about your count?

Why do you tell them?

How often do you tell them?

Within this community, I share. (truth is, I'm trying not to share much now-a-days due to work commitment and other shift in focus items going on)

Within my other social communities, I try to be careful how I present myself and my lifetime desire to be active.

With that being said, I am damn proud of what I've done and what I do, and will help anybody who desires encouragement or help in their journey.

“Did you know it's illegal to run a marathon unless you tell 80 people about it all day every day for three months?"

-- Jimmy Kimmel, March, 2013

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

rlopez

No one I know actually signed up and paid money to get the buckle. I didn't. It's more a motivational group for most.

Though I might laugh if someone actually got and wore the buckle.

I actually know a handful of folks who have purchased it. I dunno, I go back and forth with myself about it.  A buckle like this does not take away from the bad ass bad assery of someone who has run truly megahard ultras (and may or may not have a buckle to show for it), so in the end, it's just a trinket.  If it got someone out the door, that's fine.  On the other hand, how much back patting does a person need?

Why, just today there's a new challenge in the facebooks.  Run 50 miles, get a medal.  50 over any time period you choose. A week.  A month.  Whatever.

Which brings us to what's really going on here.  Some folks will throw money at shiny things.  So here come not-hard-to-achieve buckles and medals because someone gotsta get paid.  See: virtual races.

rlopez

Hey, don't you owe me $2.00?

That hug at TCM is starting to wear off...........

just sayin'

You want your two dollars!

Actually, yo, if I really do owe you money, lo siento mucho.  I blame the stroke.

Dream Maker

.  See: virtual races.

I get maniac credit for that, right? Wink  (ha-ha)

I can't even wear the buckle they gave me at the Howl Under The Moon 8 Hour for something or other because it's not 100 miles. At once.

I need to preserve the mystique so that I can flaunt it around when I finally get one as if it means anything to anyone who is not me.

Run Wild

sure