knee pain (Read 821 times)

hey everyone....ran my first 12 miler! yay! anyways, my knees hurt so bad! I am sure it will go away soon, but I am kinda hobbling a little bit after I get up. Once I am walking I am fine, but is there anything I should do to either prevent and/or treat this? I just iced them for a bit. I just feels like my joints are super stiff. Thanks for any advice!
      i have really rotten knees. What works for me is a very hot soak after a long run and yoga. I found some exercises on line, courtesy of zoom-zoom. I think as long as your increasing mileage, something will likely hurt until the body adapts, that's my theory anyway.

Old, Slow, Happy

I got knee pain too. I used Zoomy's excerises and they seemed to help. I tried ice, straps, braces, in-soles, and anti-inflammatories. Since I tried everything at once, I have no idea what worked. Anyway, my knees are getting better slowly. It could be that nothing works and you just need to run through it. I had to reduce my mileage for a couple of weeks. I'm getting back up to 10 milers, but I was doing 16 miles before. I know that's not much for advice, but it's my current experience. Hopefully, someone has better advice for you.

Dave

It is very common to have some sore legs after reaching a distance for the first time (nice job on the 12 by the way). Sore the day of and sort of tweaky the day after is typical for me. Try and get out for an easy couple of miles (very slow) to loosen up and see how you feel. If you're sore for a couple of days, it may point to the need to change something (shoes, etc.). The last time my knees really acted up, I figured out I was in the wrong shoes and that they had too many miles on them.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Here are the exercises others have mentioned. They are good if you are dealing with significant snapping/popping/clicking sensations. If your knees are merely sore you may just need to back-off for a bit and do some quad strengthening exercises, like squats and lunges. Or it could be a shoe/stability issue. I have had knee issues from shoes that offered too much support, as well as those that don't offer quite enough. If it's an issue of needing more rearfoot support, then an orthotic insole might help you--this was the case for me (I've had great luck with Superfeet brand). I think the first thing I'd do is take it easy for a week or so, that may be all you need to do to let your knees adapt to the new stresses.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I have problems with my knees (the same sensation as the stiffness and clicking), and I usually experience after new mileage. My recovery Plan: Aleve or Tylenol Ice (all sides and areas around my knees...not just my knee) Stretch (the ones found in Zoomy's link) IcyHot to help get the first few miles out of the way, after that my knees seem to get going and I am OK. Prevention: Aleve or Tylenol BEFORE I go out for a new mileage or hard workout. Stretch well. This problem has been very uncomfortable at times but after 1 or 2 days rest has never really affected the quality of my workouts (the comfort of them yes), but time heels all wounds...so if you need more than a few days of your feet then take them, and hit the indoor pool or stationary bike.
              2008 GOALS GET BELOW 175 (at 175 now) RUN 6:00 MILE (at 6:29) RUN BELOW 25:30 5K RUN BELOW 55:00 10K RUN A MARATHON (DEC. 6TH - MEMPHIS - ST JUDE)
              Ed4

Barefoot and happy

I used to have knee issues too. Then I fixed my form and the problems went away entirely. I wince whenever I see people running badly, overstriding, clearly in pain, sending huge shocks through their knees. It doesn't have to be like that. If you want to keep running for years and years, invest some serious time and effort into learning to do it properly. Start with some barefoot running on a smooth, hard surface.
                Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
                  Like Large Richard, i have been plaqued by chronic knee issues [really just the right knee] ... switched shoes [still searching for the perfect shoe although the Brooks Ghost is my new favorite]; orthotic inserts; MRI; PT; cortozone shots; anti-inflamatory. Nothing seems to work well. The only improvement has come from stretching 2-3x's per day ... all of the stretches I use are on the earlier linke ... not only has it improved the knee, but it has improved flexibility as well. I noticed that you were in NJ ... you may want to get a gait analysis done at a specialty running store and make sure that you are in the right shoes for your running type. I have been to Road Runner Sports store in Paramus [the manager is Elite marathoner ... she's extremely knowledgable and helpful.] http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/content/home.jsp?contentId=700006 http://www.therunningcompany.net/ They have stores all over NJ and again, operated by runners Finally, if the pain continues, you may want to go see a good orthopedist / sports med doctor [make sure s/he is a runner] just to be safe and rule out anything more serious.

2012= under-goaled