In the mail (Read 866 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I received a large packet in the mail today, summarized as follows: It was targeting me as a pediatrician, trying to get the good word out to our nation's kids' doctors about the benefits of high fructose corn syrup. Even claimed that it is healthy (as opposed to claiming that it is not unhealthy). Even implied that it is as healthy as eating fruits that happen to contain natural fructose. Implying that HCFS-containing processed "food" is as healthy as eating natural foods. Discuss.
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Sick. Why don't they try to convince us that hydrogenated oils are "good," too? Looks like the last act of a desperate industry, to me...

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Prince of Fatness

If they said it, it must be true.

Not at it at all. 

Have you seen the recent tv commercial about it? I cannot believe that this stuff is good for you. I remember that my parents limited or discouraged soda when we were growing up. Now, I think it tastes too sweet. Of course I'm addicted to Diet Dr. Pepper, so I guess I'm a victim of another successful product campaign.
          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I mean, maybe the stuff is not bad for you. There may be limited evidence suggesting that it is. But since it almost always comes in processed foods, eating HFCS containing foods typically replaces eating real foods. And that is less healthy.
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I mean, maybe the stuff is not bad for you. There may be limited evidence suggesting that it is. But since it almost always comes in processed foods, eating HFCS containing foods typically replaces eating real foods. And that is less healthy.
              What...this is less healthy?! Say it isn't so...

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Even better:

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

I've seen those pro-HFCS ads. They really irritate me - especially when the mom who dares ask if HFCS is bad is then scolded by the "good mom" who gives her kids HFCS. Don't get me wrong, I'm not implying that bad moms give their kids HFCS but the commercials are so off-balance that it isn't even funny. If they weren't so serious, I would have first thought they were unfunny SNL commercial take-offs.

TRUST THE PROCESS

Imminent Catastrophe

So, Trent, what brand do you smoke?

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

At least, cigarettes with HFCS seem not to be better or worse than normal cigarettes Wink "Also, mainstream smoke chemistry and genotoxicity of cigarettes with 4% and 5% HFCS were not different from cigarettes with 3% HFCS. In conclusion, the addition of up to 5% HFCS to cigarette does not alter the mainstream smoke chemistry or biological activity of mainstream smoke or mainstream smoke condensate as compared to cigarettes with 3% corn syrup/invert sugar with regard to the parameters investigated and presented." PubMed

Running in Belgium
                      Ann

Old, Slow, Happy

I've seen the ads touting the healthiness of HFCS. They can spin anything!! In two of my left=wing radical magazines there are full page ads for ORGANIC CIGARETTES!! Like they're healthier than non-organic ones.

Mitch & Pete's Mom

Those Pro-HFCS commercials are annoying. Although, it does make a point that you will hear and see people rambling on about how something is bad for you but they don't really understand why. I use to see at as another food additive that is very pervassive in our commercial food supply. Even things I would normally believe were not horrible choices like graham crackers have HFCS. Then I read more about it and I understand some of the opinions on how it came to be such a fixture on our grocery store shelves. Personally, I believe the ease in which HFCS and other additives have become "staples" of the American diet is not just evil corporate America. It is a change in lifestyle and values. We want our food quick and easy. Hell we want everything quick and easy. So, the more processed, the less time it takes us to make a meal the better. I find myself falling into that trap sometimes too. I think about how my Grandma cooked and yes, some Nothern Irish dishes could barely be described as food Roll eyes but still, she was rarely in a hurry and nearly always made things from scratch.
                          Carlsbad 1/2 marathon 1/26.

skinnycaponesugar

It is a business -> they need to make a profit -> they'll say whatever they need to say to sell their product. It is up to the informed consumer, more than ever Tongue they're obviously targeting people with a fair degree of influence over others to spread their misleading "science" ...

Love, Run, Sleep

A Saucy Wench

In California at least Catsup is considered a veggie for school lunch programs. A Hamburger with catsup and bun with a Capri Sun "juice" box would have all 4 food groups and be considered a healthy meal. Roll eyes

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

It is a business -> they need to make a profit -> they'll say whatever they need to say to sell their product. It is up to the informed consumer, more than ever Tongue they're obviously targeting people with a fair degree of influence over others to spread their misleading "science" ...
                                It's up to consumers to have the critical thinking to question what businesses are selling them. Unfortunately, when I consult a doctor I expect him/her to tell me to his most unbiased knowledge what's best for me based on the existing scientific knowledge. I prefer that it's not because Pfizer paid for them to attend a "conference" in Cancun. I hope not many doctors fall for that kind of crap. But it's not often obvious for them. I read that at some seminars in colleges, drug companies that are sponsoring the event get to pick a few speakers. But the attendees are never informed that a given speaker was picked by a drug company.