Cutting Mileage Every Fourth Week (Read 119 times)

I’ve continued to enjoy the Logic of Long Distance blog.  This entry about breaking the cycle of suffering injuries/burn out spoke to me.

http://www.logicoflongdistance.com/2012/04/runners-cycle-of-suffering-and-how-to.html

He nailed it in that it is tempting to keep pushing when things are going well.  You’re running farther and faster so keep up or increase the training, right?

I’ve continued to enjoy my entry back into the running world since February after a background of being an avid cyclist for eight years.  Limiting my runs to 3 or 4 per week seems to be working quite well.  I stopped cycling entirely in October but hope to reintroduce at least one ride per week when the weather improves.

I’ve had a few minor injury issues but haven’t had to miss many runs.  I’m asking myself though whether I should be incorporating the cut-back week once per month as a safety valve.  I’ve heard the figure of a 50% reduction in mileage.  Is that really necessary?  Especially given that I have relatively low mileage anyway and at least three off days per week, could I get away with a much smaller reduction?  Or could I avoid it entirely just by continuing to listen to my body and just being careful?

I haven’t bumped up my long run past 9.2 miles yet because of trying to exercise caution and restraint.  Honestly, I’m loathe to cut my mileage back every fourth week but if that will improve my chances of staying injury-free, it would be worth it.

So I’m looking for feedback from those who follow this practice and whether it’s made a difference in their long-term running health.  Thanks.

Personal Records:

5K - 20:07 ran in September 2021 (The second half split during the 10K run listed below.)

10K - 41:10 ran in September 2021

8 miles - 56:15 ran in November 2021

Half Marathon - 1:39:06 ran in September 2020

paul2432

If you are not pushing boundaries, I think cutting mileage every fourth week is unnecessary.  Keep in mind that reducing mileage is not the only way to reduce training load.  This can also be done by reducing intensity.  Say you normally do two hard workouts every week along with several easy runs.  On your easy week you could do one or zero hard workouts and maybe slightly reduce distance.

I generally cutback when I feel sluggish, resting heart rate rises, etc.  Not necessarily on a regular frequency.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

A 50% reduction ever fourth week sounds crazy big. I don't run huge mileage but I still think that sounds like a lot.

Paul makes a good point about how you decrease, whether you do it by intensity or mileage. Myself, when I have done cutback weeks, the cutback is usually about the length of my long run, not the rest.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

If you are not pushing boundaries, I think cutting mileage every fourth week is unnecessary.  Keep in mind that reducing mileage is not the only way to reduce training load.  This can also be done by reducing intensity.  Say you normally do two hard workouts every week along with several easy runs.  On your easy week you could do one or zero hard workouts and maybe slightly reduce distance.

I generally cutback when I feel sluggish, resting heart rate rises, etc.  Not necessarily on a regular frequency.

Thanks for your comment.  That’s kind of what I’m doing now in that I’ll get back off pace and/or distance if I feel something is a little off.  My sense is that for those who adhere to the fourth week cutback, they are doing so regardless of how they feel.  It’s like a forced safety valve.  I guess it would provide a more foolproof way of making sure over-training doesn’t take place but if you’re very careful in listening to your body, it would seem that could obviate the need for a forced cutback.

Personal Records:

5K - 20:07 ran in September 2021 (The second half split during the 10K run listed below.)

I agree with the cut back every four weeks or so.  As you build, the cut back weeks will be more than the weeks you run now.

The thing that you have to worry about is something that I have concerns for every time I train a bike athlete.  You are already aerobically fit which makes you dangerous to yourself because your skeletal muscular connections are overly stressed when your run and you are not adapted for that which makes you a likely candidate for injury.

At least when a beginner runner that does not otherwise exercise starts out they can not generally go fast enough in training to hurt themselves.  Being fit, you are able to run at an intensity that can be harmful.  It takes a long time for your bone density to increase and your connective tissue to also adjust.

So, in my opinion I believe a big reduction every 4 weeks would be the way to go for you.

SMART Approach

Are you training for anything? Ramping up? It is a bit odd to need a cutback week if running 3 times per week or 4. If you feel you need a cut back week you are likely not running those miles the right way or as Otter mentioned....too hard. If ramping up, my philosophy is increase load, adapt over a 3 week time frame, increase again....etc. But this is hard to do on 3 days per week or 4. What are your weekly miles or goal miles?

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

mikeymike

A few thoughts:

I think Jeff was writing to a fairly advanced audience when he described the cycle of suffering--people who had years of training and racing behind them and who are running 6 or 7 days a week, with 2 workouts and a long run, etc. People who were well past their newbie improvement curve and were looking to maybe squeeze a couple of seconds PR out of a half a year of focussed training, etc. Jeff was (is) also an extremely tough and competitive runner who was particularly prone to the temptation to try to do one or two "killer" workouts at the end of a training cycle when gearing up for a goal race, especially when training was "going well."

I agree that a 50% cutback in mileage is extreme and unnecessary. Basically cutback weeks are a hack for people who for whatever reason can't build in enough recovery, otherwise. At times in training, it is important to know yourself, know where your blind spots are and build in whatever safety valves you need to protect you from yourself. If cutback weeks are that thing, fine, but there's no universal need for them. Lots of runners have figured out how to listen to their bodies and back off on either volume or intensity as needed without pre-planned cutback weeks.

Runners run

dumrunner

I agree with mikeymike about knowing yourself and how you respond to the stress of training loads, and I think there is no better way to learn about yourself than to take each run as it comes, meaning, be willing to push a little further and/or a little harder when you feel good, and back off when you don't. Particularly if you don't have a targeted race or prescribed training plan (which I wouldn't recommend for a new runner as it tends to make you less likely to back off when you aren't feeling great). If you listen to the signals your body is giving you on every run, and adjust accordingly, you may not need that cutback week. Good luck!

I agree with the cut back every four weeks or so.  As you build, the cut back weeks will be more than the weeks you run now.

The thing that you have to worry about is something that I have concerns for every time I train a bike athlete.  You are already aerobically fit which makes you dangerous to yourself because your skeletal muscular connections are overly stressed when your run and you are not adapted for that which makes you a likely candidate for injury.

At least when a beginner runner that does not otherwise exercise starts out they can not generally go fast enough in training to hurt themselves.  Being fit, you are able to run at an intensity that can be harmful.  It takes a long time for your bone density to increase and your connective tissue to also adjust.

So, in my opinion I believe a big reduction every 4 weeks would be the way to go for you.

Yes, this concern has been present with me since first running now almost a year ago.  It’s a whole new mindset as well because with cycling, especially once you’ve been doing it for a while, you have an almost unlimited capacity to hammer with minimal injury risk.  My last full year of cycling was in 2018 and I rode about 6800 miles, mostly with just three hard rides per week, without injury.  I knew that I’d have to approach things far differently with running.  It’s been challenging at times as my nature is to push hard.  I’ve tweaked various body parts but my longest layoff has only been 5 days and I was able to cycle during that time.

I think the cardio fitness was borne out when I raced the 5K in August with just six or so months of running.  I’ve done one tempo run per week but only rarely have gone all out.  Still, I can kind of sense that my body may be in need of a bit of a cutback as I haven’t taken any real reduction in a while.  I’ve been dealing with a few minor issues – sciatica, bursitis, and knee discomfort – lately and while I don’t feel them that much during runs, it might be time for me to implement the safety valve reduction week.

Thanks for your insight.  It sounds like you may coach runners including some from cycling backgrounds.

Personal Records:

Are you training for anything? Ramping up? It is a bit odd to need a cutback week if running 3 times per week or 4. If you feel you need a cut back week you are likely not running those miles the right way or as Otter mentioned....too hard. If ramping up, my philosophy is increase load, adapt over a 3 week time frame, increase again....etc. But this is hard to do on 3 days per week or 4. What are your weekly miles or goal miles?

My running log is public if you’d like to check out my mileage and times.  I mix in easy runs as necessary but my three runs are usually focused on tempo/long/fartlek.

I definitely have goals.  Not sure if I can beat my 5K time from August but my 10K time from way back is a push goal for me.  I’d eventually like to race up to the half marathon distance.

Personal Records:

A few thoughts:

I think Jeff was writing to a fairly advanced audience when he described the cycle of suffering--people who had years of training and racing behind them and who are running 6 or 7 days a week, with 2 workouts and a long run, etc. People who were well past their newbie improvement curve and were looking to maybe squeeze a couple of seconds PR out of a half a year of focussed training, etc. Jeff was (is) also an extremely tough and competitive runner who was particularly prone to the temptation to try to do one or two "killer" workouts at the end of a training cycle when gearing up for a goal race, especially when training was "going well."

I agree that a 50% cutback in mileage is extreme and unnecessary. Basically cutback weeks are a hack for people who for whatever reason can't build in enough recovery, otherwise. At times in training, it is important to know yourself, know where your blind spots are and build in whatever safety valves you need to protect you from yourself. If cutback weeks are that thing, fine, but there's no universal need for them. Lots of runners have figured out how to listen to their bodies and back off on either volume or intensity as needed without pre-planned cutback weeks.

Thanks for your thoughts.  As I mentioned to otter above, my tendency is to push hard.  I think as I’ve gotten older and know my body better, I’m more disciplined in not overdoing it but it’s something I have to constantly watch.  From reading Jeff’s blog, it seems that he’s vacillated between high mileage and more focused efforts in fewer miles.  I know he’s dealt with injuries so I’m not sure if he took his own advice about breaking the cycle of suffering.

One of the interesting things about running as against cycling is that it really does force one to listen to their body.  I think I’m getting better at it.  To just be able to sense whether I’m doing damage as against maybe scaling back intensity but still running.  Maybe a compromise is in order in that a fourth week would have a small cutback but still something.  I think that’s where cycling could still be of value for me as I could ramp that up for one week per month to make up for the reduction in running.

Personal Records:

The Running Philosopher

As I've added more mileage and trained for longer races over the years, I've found I plan my training miles for the week more organically than I used to. I still have mileage goals, but when I feel tired, I rest for a few days.  When I feel more energy, I add some miles.

In addition, life itself usually impacts my training quite significantly ... I may have to postpone a long run for a week if I'm going to be out of town, or squeeze in some extra miles now if I know work will get busy.

What this means is that I find my training schedule naturally goes in waves -- and it does seem like every third or fourth week ends up being a lower week.  But for me it's something that just happens, not something I really plan.

------------------------------------

Andrew Brodsky, Writer and Researcher

www.RunningPhilosopher.com

Life, one mile at a time.