Will Running Ruin My Knees? (Read 1596 times)

Rundadrun27

I would like to see more details. A problem with the study that I see. People that keep running for that long obviously have good knees, otherwise they would have stopped running. The guy that stopped running maybe stopped because his knees where bad. The article makes it sound that his knees got bad from stopping running. We need a much bigger study with better control and if possible some kind of blind (I don't know if this would be possible though). Personally I think running is hard on the knees... however almost every other sport is worse. Any sport that has lateral movement or lots of jumping is way harder on the knees.

A Saucy Wench

My knees are way better since I started running

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Scout7

Fact: 100% of runners die.

Half Fanatic #846

Running has made my knees stronger.

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

I have seen far worse knee problems in overweight people, specifically in my family most everyone who is 20+ lbs overweight has knee issues (arthritis) and those of us who are not have none. What better way to keep the weight off than running. Not very scientific, but works for me.
              I am overweight. I have had painful knees mostly from walking a lot and specifically walking hills. I started running in April. My knees have never felt better. They were sore the first few weeks but I have developed a lot of stability around them that wasn't there before. Sample size of one doesn't mean anything of course but just thought I would add my experience to the mix.
              The Graduates - a community of post C25K runners!

Started Running 21 April 2008

2008 Running Goals
              • Finish C25K 22 Jun 2008
              • Run 5K 43:29 29 Jun 2008
              • Complete a 10K fun run
                The bones of a thin person are the same size as an overweight person. Imagine carrying an extra 50# around and what that would do to your knees over time. Most of my extended family is overweight also and some have had knee surgery. Went to see Wall-E with my kids yesterday, and it is a not so subtle stab at overweight americans.
                  Many non runner friends and family have jokingly told me that I'm destroying my knees but I disagree. I read an article in Runner's World (possible bias? idk.) that made a lot of sense to me. Instead of thinking of our bodies or more specifically, the knee, as a mechanical object, one that will eventually break after time or movement, remember that our bodies are bio-mechanical. Cells are constantly dying and new ones being created. I've read that most organs are technically "new" every few weeks, months, or years, depending on the organ and cell type. I can't seem to find that article now...but I thought it did a great job of explaining things.
                  Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Cells are constantly dying and new ones being created.
                    Not knee cartilage.
                      holy idiot commenters batman! (at the globe&mail site, not here)

Wobblebottom

Hi there, I love my running, but my right knee is giving me problems. One would think that I would stop, but, you would be wrong! I would far rather risk having to have a knee replacement operation in years to come than have a heart attack, or for my lungs to be in a bad condition so I will just keep on running. Its important to look after your cardiovascular system as well as your joints, and I would choose heart and lungs over knees everytime! Also, I agree with many others, the more I run the less my knee aches. Just make sure you have a good pair of shoes and keep running! Big grin Quads exercises, and inner range quad exercises will help build up the muscles which support your knees. I am afraid that once the damage is done, your cartilage will not regrow as suggested. Awful, but true.
                          Not knee cartilage.
                          So what is your opinion about those hyaluronic injections, Trent?

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

SMART Approach

So what is your opinion about those hyaluronic injections, Trent?
                            Not Trent but I am biased towards HA injections (Supartz) because I sell it. Here is an example of effects. My buddy is a runner and has knee OA since a college football knee injury (ACL). He is 38 and runs around 20 miles a week and has done a marathon and just did another half in May. His knee is stiff and hurts. I have told him for last 2 years to get Supartz. He went to doc about a year ago and doc said he was too young. I told him to go to another doc because there is no such thing as too young. The young are the best candidates. Mild to moderate OA is what Supartz and others are indicated for. When you are bone on bone the effects are much less as there is minimal joint space to work with. Anyway, my friend had the Supartz injections finally and was simply amazed. He was running virtually pain free with a few weeks and the stiffness was almost completely gone. He is about 4 months since injections and still doing well. The effects will wear off but insurance will cover the injections every 6 months. If questions, email me personally.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Tracie

I run quite a bit and haven't had knee pain until recently. It was since I was leaning against my knee doing other things. If you have good knees to begin with running won't hurt but if you have problems it'll make it worse. That said I'm looking into quad or other exercises now. What exercises do you do to prevent knee pain?