Goal of sub 20 5k (Read 13664 times)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Today I want to try 3 X 1600 but am unsure of what times I should aim for and how much rest. I was thinking of aiming for 6:27 to 6:30 per mile pace and maybe take 2 minutes rest between each. I see another poster on here did the 1600 repeats with 800 meter jogs in between each.

3x1600 at current 5k pace with 400~800m recovery is a money workout.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

mikeymike

3x1600 at current 5k pace with 400~800m recovery is a money workout.

For a 19 year old.

Runners run

Well now you have gotten me thinking. I can run a tempo run later in the week. Mile intervals probably are too long to do as much good as other runs. So I am changing my mind and will run 5 X 1km intervals. I will aim for a few seconds over 4 minutes for each run. For rest periods I will jog a slow lap.

After completing the intervals I will run 3-4 X 100 yard dashes on the infield grass.

If I complete any km in under 4 minutes I get penalized for running like a 19 year old boy.

This race has a pretty fast course.

Thanks, mikeymike.  I may run that one.  My Garmin had better read exactly 3.11 miles at the finish, or you'll be hearing from me.

Tempo run is a good idea!

I also found out that I recovered much faster after a tempo than an interval.  Tue of last week, I did a very light interval 5x600@5k pace with 2 min jog.  Wed of last week when I did my MLR, I was so tired and ran really slowly.

Yesterday, I did a 5 mile tempo in a 12+ mile run.  Today, when I ran my 14+ MLR, I was only a little tired and only slowed down a bit.

Lessons learnt for me.  Never do an interval a few days before a race.

Well now you have gotten me thinking. I can run a tempo run later in the week. Mile intervals probably are too long to do as much good as other runs. So I am changing my mind and will run 5 X 1km intervals. I will aim for a few seconds over 4 minutes for each run. For rest periods I will jog a slow lap.

After completing the intervals I will run 3-4 X 100 yard dashes on the infield grass.

If I complete any km in under 4 minutes I get penalized for running like a 19 year old boy.

My 1st km was 4:05...then I jogged a 2:15 lap.

It was 80 degrees but I was lean and mean.

I took off on the 2nd km and ran it in 4:06.

I wasn't feeling so great now....took 4 minutes to walk/jog/stand a lap

3rd km was run in 4:08.

Another 4 minutes lap/rest.

4th km ran easy and still got 4:04

5 minutes rest and a 3:55 final km.

I get penalized!

4 X 120 yard dash on the grass in 22-23 seconds each with about 30 seconds rest.

I am getting tougher no doubt. This leaves me a 4 or 5 mile tempo at weeks end.

To recap my splits...

4:05

4:06

4:08

4:04

3:55

Total 5k in 20:18. This was alot like mainrunners weekly workout. I think this is alot like the Tinman Tempo run but probably a little faster than Tinman Tempo speed.  After the 1st I took 4-5 minutes rest -half jog/half walk a lap   (maybe a little long  on the rest but I wanted to be in good condition so that I wouldn't lose my form for each successive interval) . I think me and mainrunner are in the same shape. We are both on the cusp of breaking 20.

I tried something different tonight.

After 3 miles on the treadmill I had to get outside.

I went outside and without looking at the watch tried to run an 8 minute mile.

I checked my times after the entire 3 mile run was over.

1st half mile was 3:55, 2nd half mile was 3:44... Total mile 1 = 7:39

Then I felt this pace was too fast for an easy day so I decided to try for an 8:30 second mile.

I did this mile in 4:07 and 4:03 for a 2nd mile split of 8:10

Mile three I settled on 9 minute pace.

I ran a 4:12, 4:07 split for 8:19 pace.

So my mile times were 7:39, 8:10 and 8:19.

The more I relaxed the easier it got.

At least I slowed down 31 seconds between mile 1 and 2 as I wanted to do.

Mile 3 I only slowed 9 seconds even though I really thought I slowed it down again.

I don't know what this shows but it was fun to try.

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

I tried something different tonight.

After 3 miles on the treadmill I had to get outside.

I don't know what this shows but it was fun to try.

You'd be better off trying to track perceived effort vs pace on a longer run.   Of course, I'm presuming that you were trying to track perceived effort vs pace...

When's your next race?

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

You'd be better off trying to track perceived effort vs pace on a longer run.   Of course, I'm presuming that you were trying to track perceived effort vs pace...

When's your next race?

July 26th. I think I have 90% chance of going sub 20 then.

About 3 months ago I tried to run 8:00 pace for a 5k and my 1st 3 half mile splits were within a second of 4 minutes. It would be nice to learn exactly the pace I am running. But as one gets fitter 8:00 pace changes to a much easier pace.

MichiganFlyer, those 1K’s are similar to what I have been doing, with a couple differences: I have been taking 90 second active recovery, and doing them on a road. I hope they work for you.

I feel I peaked in late June. I had a couple nice workouts and felt great. The last couple weeks haven’t felt as strong. I may race this weekend, not sure yet.

Here is my training over the last few months, date is start of week:

Intervals - 1K with 90 seconds active recovery followed by 4 X 40 second striders, except where noted:
                      04/12/2009 4:10; 4:05; 4:12; 4:14; 4:18; no striders
                      04/19/2009 4:10; 4:11; 4:12; 4:21; 4:28; 2X30 second striders
                      04/26/2009 4:06; 4:05; 4:04; 4:14; 4:08
                      05/03/2009 4:07; 3:56; 4:04; 4:10; 4:03
                      05/10/2009 3:52; 3:47; 3:57; three minutes active recovery, 2 X 40 second striders
                      05/17/2009 n/a; recover from a 5K raced previous week - no quality
                      05/24/2009 4:01; 4:00; 3:58; 4:12; 4:03
                      05/31/2009 4:15; 4:12; 4:09; 4:18; 3:56; 3 X 40 second striders
                      06/07/2009 3:57; 4:09; 4:10; 4:16; 4:00
                      06/14/2009 4:03; 4:03; 4:04; 4:06; 3:59
                      06/21/2009 no quality – recover from previous four straight interval weeks.
                      06/28/2009 4:10; 4:12; 4:13; 4:19; 4:25
                      07/05/2009 4:05; 3:58; 4:10; 4:19; 4:11
                      07/12/2009 no quality – vacation week

Other quality workout - middle miles of a 10 mile run, except where noted:
                      04/12/2009 5K race @6:34 pace
                      04/19/2009 3@7:26 pace
                      04/26/2009 3@7:39 pace
                      05/03/2009 4@7:24 pace
                      05/10/2009 5K race @6:34 pace
                      05/17/2009 n/a; recover from a 5K raced previous week - no quality
                      05/24/2009 4@7:24 pace
                      05/31/2009 4@7:27 pace
                      06/07/2009 4@7:29 pace all in one run
                      06/14/2009 3@7:20 pace in middle of six mile run.
                      06/21/2009 No quality – did a 10 mile run at an easy pace.
                      06/28/2009 5@7:34 pace
                      07/05/2009 3@7:36 pace in middle of seven mile run.
                      07/12/2009 No quality – five easy miles everyday.  May do a 5K this weekend.

Total Weekly Miles
                      04/12/2009 35
                      04/19/2009 35
                      04/26/2009 35
                      05/03/2009 35
                      05/10/2009 30
                      05/17/2009 35
                      05/24/2009 35
                      05/31/2009 35
                      06/07/2009 35
                      06/14/2009 30
                      06/21/2009 35
                      06/28/2009 35
                      07/05/2009 35
                      07/12/2009 Plan to do 35.

My 1st km was 4:05...then I jogged a 2:15 lap.

It was 80 degrees but I was lean and mean.

I took off on the 2nd km and ran it in 4:06.

I wasn't feeling so great now....took 4 minutes to walk/jog/stand a lap

3rd km was run in 4:08.

Another 4 minutes lap/rest.

4th km ran easy and still got 4:04

5 minutes rest and a 3:55 final km.

I get penalized!

4 X 120 yard dash on the grass in 22-23 seconds each with about 30 seconds rest.

I am getting tougher no doubt. This leaves me a 4 or 5 mile tempo at weeks end.

To recap my splits...

4:05

4:06

4:08

4:04

3:55

Total 5k in 20:18. This was alot like mainrunners weekly workout. I think this is alot like the Tinman Tempo run but probably a little faster than Tinman Tempo speed.  After the 1st I took 4-5 minutes rest -half jog/half walk a lap   (maybe a little long  on the rest but I wanted to be in good condition so that I wouldn't lose my form for each successive interval) . I think me and mainrunner are in the same shape. We are both on the cusp of breaking 20.

Main are the km intervals run at the same time of day?

Is the temp and humidity the same?

How do you run them? Do you go by 5k race effort or try and run them as fast as you can knowing that you can rest in between intervals?

I could probably do 5 X 1 km in 4 minutes but then I would be spent.

I tried to run them at 5k effort pace the other day to keep them manageble and have something left at workouts end. Had I taken 90 second rests in the 80 degree heat I think my times would have been much slower.

But the times were not so much important that I was getting 4 minutes of hard running in each interval.

Just from looking at your stats I would guess you have stalled in your speed because you run the same amount of miles every week. You are trying to run faster intervals with the same mileage. That is tough to do IMO.

I know you said you eat more when you run more miles...and you need to spend time with the family as well.

But I think if you go 40-45 miles a week for a month your intervals will drop below 4 on this test.

Its a shame they cancelled your last 5k because I think you would have been very close to sub 20. I think you are so close so you just need to do a little more and you are there. The trick is to line up more training with a fast course....

Just for comparisons here are my weekly miles started basebuilding Feb. 15th

A week after I ran 53 miles I ran a 20:06.

Now I have a goal race coming up so I put in a 60 mile week last week.

28 (21:51 solo)

39 (21:14 solo)

32 (20:55)

31 (20:39) 

31 (20:06)

27 (20:46)

35 (20:35 solo treadmill)

60 (20:24 solo)

I agree with the point that in general, more miles => faster 5k times.

I just realize my running streak is now 36 days and I should go above 90 miles this week by Sun.

How do you run them? Do you go by 5k race effort or try and run them as fast as you can knowing that you can rest in between intervals?

I could probably do 5 X 1 km in 4 minutes but then I would be spent.

I tried to run them at 5k effort pace the other day to keep them manageble and have something left at workouts end. Had I taken 90 second rests in the 80 degree heat I think my times would have been much slower.

But the times were not so much important that I was getting 4 minutes of hard running in each interval.

Just from looking at your stats I would guess you have stalled in your speed because you run the same amount of miles every week. You are trying to run faster intervals with the same mileage. That is tough to do IMO.

I know you said you eat more when you run more miles...and you need to spend time with the family as well.

But I think if you go 40-45 miles a week for a month your intervals will drop below 4 on this test.

Its a shame they cancelled your last 5k because I think you would have been very close to sub 20. I think you are so close so you just need to do a little more and you are there. The trick is to line up more training with a fast course....

Just about, every Thursday just before or after dinner.

Pretty much; Maine had a rainy June, so haven't had any issues with heat/humidity.

For the most part the pace is a few seconds slower than the 5K pace of my last two races - 4:04.2. I have thrown in a few 3:59+- kilometers, hoping that is my 5K pace.  I do a few 40 second bursts after the workout, visualizing the kick/sprint at the end of a race.

I am obsessive compulsive about getting 35, 35, 35, 35, 30 mile weeks in. Oh well....

I agree with the point that in general, more miles => faster 5k times.

I just realize my running streak is now 36 days and I should go above 90 miles this week by Sun.

Congrats on the streak and 90 mile week. I have decided to stop streaking on August 30. It will be 500 days.

500 days is amazing!  I don't think I will get to that Smile

Congrats on the streak and 90 mile week. I have decided to stop streaking on August 30. It will be 500 days.