How many miles do you get from your socks? (Read 1011 times)

Purdey

Self anointed title

I was just wondering because the guy in the running store said that about 300 was the max. After that you need to bin them. Obviously depends on your build, foot strike and cadence.

MrH

I was just wondering because the guy in the running store said that about 300 was the max. After that you need to bin them. Obviously depends on your build, foot strike and cadence.
      Yeah, about 300 if I'm wearing shoes. Without shoes they only last about five miles, especially when running on rough trails.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

C-R

Perhaps Eric can add this to the equipment tracker and we can have some real data to compare and contrast. 300 seems low but perhaps you heel strike and run less than 180bpm.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I have never thrown out a pair of socks. Running now x 4 years.
          Jill_B

I fly.

I think they can go a lot longer than 300 miles. I have no idea how many miles I've gotten out of my socks, but I'm sure that it's a LOT more than 300.

Bring it on.

Skooter 3.0

How could you even keep track of that?

Goals?

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I throw socks out only when they get too big a hole in them.
                  Me too, I wear them till the holes come in the toes. Can't stand my toe poking out of a hole.
                    How could you even keep track of that?
                    My BS response... I have my socks embroidered with individual serial numbers and foot designators. Big grin This year I've gone high tech and have sewn in RFID tags on all my socks. Now, I don't need a race chip Smile

Vim

Socks arent shoes!!!! Trent...miles are meaningless in the world of socks....10,000,000 miles...blather!!!! N=Noe-(0.693t/T½) Using this decay formula you can easily figure out the half life of your socks...Theoretically you can never reach zero...so...socks never wear out they just fade away.
                      Purdey

Self anointed title

I have never washed a pair of socks. Running now x 4 years.

Purdey

Self anointed title

Socks arent shoes!!!!
                          It is attitudes like this that lead to sock overuse. The guy in the store said that my performance could be affected by using worn out socks.

The guy in the store said that my performance could be affected by using worn out socks.
                            You can't place blind faith in running store clerks. They advised me to use stability socks which lead to pain. I am now in neutrals which are much better. And you should always have a minumum of three pair in rotation - preferably different brands so your feet don't become too accustomed to a single model and develop imbalances.

Purdey

Self anointed title

You can't place blind faith in running store clerks. They advised me to use stability socks which lead to pain. I am now in neutrals which are much better. And you should always have a minumum of three pair in rotation - preferably different brands so your feet don't become too accustomed to a single model and develop imbalances.
                              Wise words. However my wife advises having at least 7 (seven!) pairs in rotation.