Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2020 (Read 618 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Brew what the hell are you talking about in general? One sentence sounds like you think society is overreacting, and the next they're under reacting.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Marky_Mark_17

Brew - just take a breath, man.  We're in crazy times but we all need to remember that we don't have any control over the steps governments and businesses are going to (rightly or wrongly) take.  Some of those steps will be frustrating and difficult, but what we can control is our response to them.

Personally I think it's great JMac is trying to make the best of his fitness in a difficult situation.  Covid-19 may have brought a premature end to his serious racing career, given things on the family front for him later this year.  None of the rest of us are in that situation.  I applaud him for trying to make the best of it.  I'd struggle to deal with it as maturely as he has!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Runway5 / National 5k Champs, 16:22, National Masters AG Champ!

Up next: Still working on that...

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac - Do you know anyone who would be willing to pace you for at least part of the TT, whether on foot or bike? Even if they aren't right next to you, having a target a few strides ahead should be able to help.
        Either way, may the weather be good and the path be deserted!

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Elizabeth78

Recovery Phenom

Similar to a lot of other things - network security, for example.

I also think it's similar to a marathon, and the importance of starting conservatively.  And how many people run a good marathon after a conservative start, only to think "I could have run even faster if I had gone out faster" when the truth is....probably not....

This whole situation really reminds me of a marathon in so many ways.  "If you think you're overreacting, you're doing it just right" is not that different from "if you don't think you're starting too slow, you're starting too fast."

And I think the people who are absolutely panicking about the end of all races for the year probably overlap with the people who look at their watch at mile 3 of a marathon, see that they are behind pace, and freak out.

We are still very early in this thing.  Best thing to do is just like a marathon - stay relaxed and make good decisions.

Adding onto this great metaphor. I am of the mindset to take things one day at a time (mentally) like taking the marathon one mile at a time. Obviously you have to be prepared for all 26 miles, but focusing on the mile we are in makes things much more manageable. Not speculating about the future.

26.2 x 31 (3:15:34 PR)

13.1 x 35 (1:30:58 PR)

Author of the book Boston Bound

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Adding onto this great metaphor. I am of the mindset to take things one day at a time (mentally) like taking the marathon one mile at a time. Obviously you have to be prepared for all 26 miles, but focusing on the mile we are in makes things much more manageable. Not speculating about the future.

I forgot to mention as well: thought this was a great point by DW. One day at a time is a great approach.

Keen - nobody to run with, gonna have to pump myself up.

Mark - thanks, making the most of it. Gonna build up a cycle for Grandma's, just having that out there will add some semblance of normality in these times.

NYC is just so odd right now. The hardest part is actually trying to get away from it all. Even on my runs in the park: I tried to run without headphones yesterday to enjoy the birds and peace of running, but every single person talking was talking about this. Going back to music tonight on my easy run.

Probably only way to get away is good TV series. Maybe that's what we need to revive, that thread on good shows. I've been into Succession, Narcos Mexico, and Better Call Saul lately.

Probably should also read some books on children...

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

runethechamp

Mark - Good point in taking a deep breath on the issues surrounding us now. I can't control it but will try to follow as best as I can.

DW - I like that marathon metaphor.

JMac - I just finished Ray Donovan and it's one of my favorite shows. Might also have to continue watching Bloodline. Lot's of dysfunctional family stuff surrounding the storylines in both these shows.

I think I will take the dog out for a short run today to get some fresh air.

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

Jmac can you go and jog the course beforehand in the next day or so or is it too late ?

Always nice to get a feel for it first and clarify the distance.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

Made a few calls and snuck a late entry to NZ 10,000m Champs which is being hosted within the final Athletics Auckland meet for the season on Saturday night.  It's a pretty un-loved event that's moved around the calendar a lot (there are only 23 entrants across open men and women and masters men and women) but figured it was worth a punt with any others races looking increasingly unlikely for the next 3 months.  I doubt it will be a PB since I haven't tapered at all but go hard or go home I guess.

Mike Wanden from my club and Simon Mace are also running in the masters so there's at least a couple of solid runners in the Masters.  The fast young guys will probably lap us at least once haha.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Running Problem

Problem Child

Brew - just take a breath, man.  We're in crazy times but we all need to remember that we don't have any control over the steps governments and businesses are going to (rightly or wrongly) take.  Some of those steps will be frustrating and difficult, but what we can control is our response to them.

Personally I think it's great JMac is trying to make the best of his fitness in a difficult situation.  Covid-19 may have brought a premature end to his serious racing career, given things on the family front for him later this year.  None of the rest of us are in that situation.  I applaud him for trying to make the best of it.  I'd struggle to deal with it as maturely as he has!

I’m not upset he is racing. I’m using it as a point of why we need to close hotels in the state. To try and hinder people’s ability to travel and spread a virus since they aren’t doing everything they can to prevent the spread themselves.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I’m not upset he is racing. I’m using it as a point of why we need to close hotels in the state. To try and hinder people’s ability to travel and spread a virus since they aren’t doing everything they can to prevent the spread themselves.

First, I'm running, not racing. It's a time trial. Second of all, whether I run this by myself in Central Park, or by myself an hour north of Central Park, it's the same thing. Unless you're recommending nobody run outdoor, which nobodoy has stated except for Italy because of the situation they're in.

Marky_Mark_17

TV shows - OK I'm not a great source of recommendations here.  NZ Netflix has less of a selection than US Netflix, admittedly.  Also I have Disney+ so I can watch the Marvel movies.  My all time favourite TV show is Fringe, a totally brilliant sci-fi show from around 10 years ago, followed by Person of Interest.  Also liked The Blacklist (although I lost interest around Season 4), Sons of Anarchy and Banshee (and the lead actor is a NZ-er!).  More recently, Game of Thrones, and Westworld, if you haven't watched it before then I challenge you to watch it, don't google the storyline, and correctly figure out what is actually going on BEFORE the lockdown ends.

In terms of comedies, because we all need a bit of that right now, Brooklyn Nine Nine is a huge favourite and The Good Place was another recent discovery that I enjoyed a lot.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

watsonc123

JMac - I advise you NOT to read books on children.  There's so much disagreements from experts that you get big clashes of advice between books.  Alternatively read ONE book, assume gospel and blame the book not yourself when things go wrong

Steve - go back on the thread and see how relaxed we were re Covid-19.  People would have gone nuts at the government if they had closed the borders earlier.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

watsonc123

JMac - I like the idea of a pacer.  Maybe reach out a cycle club out there, explain the route, time and pace, and offer a gift to a cyclist who agrees to be your pacer?

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

watsonc123

Christchurch 2020 is gone, from the site:

Due to this uncertain situation, and no guarantees that the ban won’t be extended, we are postponing 2020’s 40th anniversary ASB Christchurch Marathon to 2021.

All current entrants will be rolled over to the 2021 event. Entry fees already taken – as per the conditions of entry – are non-refundable. However we are rolling these over to next year, as a goodwill gesture during these uncertain and stressful times. We hope to see you all at the start line next year.

Marky_Mark_17

Disappointing re Christchurch, but not surprising given Rotorua Marathon and Hawkes Bay Marathon had also already postponed.  As soon as those two went it was always a long shot for Christchurch to go ahead.

Rotorua Marathon has postponed until 26 September... I'd been thinking my Plan B was Tauranga Marathon on 20 September but given Rotorua doubles as NZ Marathon Champs, I'm not sure which I'll choose.  Tauranga is still the faster course (although not as fast as Christchurch), but Rotorua is legendary, and I'll likely still aim to do Christchurch in 2021.

At least my Airbnb is fully refundable.  And I think I paid for the flights with Airpoints and not real money, too.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"