I am so weak......push me out the door :-) (Read 1102 times)

run4fun8910

Hi Everyone, I am so impressed by seeing that so many of you have been able to keep this great website going. It has been a while since I have been active here. And even then I was only her for a short time. I injured myself a long time ago. Or atleast that is what I have been told. Pulled a groin muscle that has taken over a year to heal. To be honest I do not know that it fully has. I have not tested it yet. But at least there is no more pain just from walking or pushing in the groin area. That is the good news. The bad news. I can not get my lazy but out of bed. I work for a state agency that switched to four 10 hour days and man even thought it has been a few months. It just makes me tired. Well that is my current excuse from not getting out there and run. So I thought I would put up some numbers. 212.50 lbs 2/28/2008 250.00 lbs today. I can remember how awesome I felt while running. I remember being on a high all day long after running. So how do I get out of this rut. I know I need to walk first. But I just can not get out there. How have those of you who ran in to these challenging times gotten yourself up and out on the road? Shawn
    Short term goal: 5K Long term goal: half marathon. Stay injury free. Shawn
    CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

It's hard some days. Definitely. Are you trying to get yourself back into running altogether? Something like Couch to 5K is great after an injury because it won't let you do too much too soon. (See group link in my sig.) Or are you having more trouble with the just going? Is there someone you can buddy up with to go out with? Give yourself a short goal like just going around your block today. It might not take you long, but it's a start. Try walking for ten minutes on a lunch break or five minutes during your coffee breaks. Just do something little. We all start somewhere. You can do this. And come back to post whatever you do. Let us know and we'll cheer you on. Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

no offense intended but the straight fact is that is an alarming rate of weight gain. sorry for being insensitive but that's the truth. I'm "overweight" by BMI so I'll admit that right off. you'll need to make a significant change to reverse course. the key for me was just making it something I simply did and did not really even think about skipping a week. Sure I skipped a day now and then when life interupted. But I just accepted I had to be at the gym at 5:30 AM 3x per week during winter and I'm doing ok at it. I think you'll have to walk before you run... literally. Maybe it is walk/run mix. But it won't happen until you find some way in your mind to make it part of your routine that just can't be compromised. Walk 2 miles at lunch hour, walk/run 3 miles before or after work... you'll have to find something. Good luck.

Along for the Ride

I learned something recently that might work for you. You have to be at a mental state where you are ready to make changes. In order for you to make that change and stick with it, the Pro's of Running have to outweight the Con's. Take a sheet of paper and write (honestly!) all the Pro's and Con's down. You already have two in your post - you are tired and being able to sleep a bit longer is a Con for running. But then there is the memory of the great feeling you got all day after you ran as a Pro ... I agree with Doug on the alarming fast rate of the weight gain. Running alone will probably not solve all issues. Maybe you can join people at the "Running for weightloss" group? They are very inspiring and helpful. They'll cheer you on and kick you in the bootie; depending on what's needed at the moment. Maybe starting to journal what you eat could be helpful? Or joining Weight Watchers? Maybe join the 1000km group to be inspired by hunting the bunny? Of course you need to start slowly - exactly as you said. Walking before running. But you could log your walking miles to stay inspired. Stick around this board and these groups - they are very motivating. The ability to analyze data is great as well. Good luck! Smile

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

run4fun8910

oh yes. the pounds sure have come on fast. I love to run. I hate to walk. But I think it is a necessary evil. Thanks for the encouragement both to our Canadian friend and Doug. I am hoping that putting it out on the table that I can get myself motivated to just go out and walk. I have done the C25K before and will do that soon. I am thinking maybe I would walk for 2 weeks 3 to 4 times a week before I begin running. That is the problem. I have no desire to run. But I need to change the course before I go down the down hill side to get to 300. So if I can get my self to begin my walking routine hopefully you guys will not mind me piping in once in a while. So what do you think. Can I walk in my old running shoes and hold off on getting new ones till I actually start running?
              I like to wear a woolly hat, pulled down over my ears & close to my eyes. I find it insulates me against the big bad world on that first few 100 yards down the road. Then as you slowly get into your jog, everything is fine & the run is the best decision you'll make that day. You watch mega star aheletes on tv & they all cover up warm to train. Make it as easy as possible to get out the door. Just jog along easy. It hasn't gotta be hard work. Gettin your self 'in the zone' will come naturally.

"Grasshopper-notice that the supple bamboo yields to the wind, yet does not break."

an amazing likeness

My advice, for what it is worth and based on a sample experience of exactly one.... Don't sweat what was in the past -- set your goal looking forward, and make your goals realistic. Start out by setting a goal that requires nothing other than time. 30 minutes of exercise a day. No pressures for how fast, how far or anything other than doing it every day. Take half your lunch hour and walk around the office parking lot if you find yourself dragging at the end of the day.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

De-slacking in progress

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14

run4fun8910

Hey thanks for the replies. I admit I do draw energy from you all and hope that soon I will be posting the miles I have walked and some time in the near future when I ran my first mile. See you on the road. I will be the one passing out the water Wink
                      Apparently you found what I lost. I started out the year at 254 and will end the year around 207. The point is that if I can do it you can too. I am 47 years young and had been sitting on my behind for 15 years. I am now running 25 MPW and will run a half marathon in April (thanks to our friends here reminding me to take it more slowly before I do something I shouldn't). You can do it, you just have to start on a routine but you already know that. 250 is a scary weight, please do something to reverse course now before you are the guy riding around Walmart on the little electrical cart. Run Forrest Run. Sam
                      Sam Edmond, Oklahoma 2009 Goals: 1. 1/2 Marathon (DONE Jan 2) 2. Hike to the top of Horn Peak, CO (13,450 ft) in July 3. Run a full marathon by the end of 2009 4. Keep running and no significant injuries 5. Run at least 1500 miles for the year 6. Play more golf with a stroke average in the 70's
                        Maybe you can join people at the "Running for weightloss" group? They are very inspiring and helpful. They'll cheer you on and kick you in the bootie; depending on what's needed at the moment. Maybe starting to journal what you eat could be helpful? Or joining Weight Watchers?
                        These are all great ideas (and BTW, nice to see you in these parts again Gabe!), there is nothing like advice from those that have been there and done that. And be sure to check out the best thread on RunningAHEAD, if those stories and pics don't inspire you nothing will. Start easy, build slowly, and stick with it! Best of luck to you Shawn.

E.J.
                        Greater Lowell Road Runners
                        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Get up and move. There is no magic and nobody can give you motivation - that's your job. Do it once. Just once. Get out and run one friggin time for however long or short you can. Do it once and the second time will be easier. I wish I had some sage advice or something to offer that would help, but when all is said and done you either get off your ass and run, or you don't.* *I've been there and I waited a lot longer than you did to get moving. I'm hoping you don't make the same mistake I did.

Former runner

Last year I hit the 250 mark and no matter what you do the key is to just get in the habit of doing something. I didn't start my weight loss by running or walking. I used a stationary bike in my basement during the cold winter months. It was something I did 3-4 days a week. Then in the spring is when I started the C25K program. Check out the Jiggly Joggers group for some good support. http://www.runningahead.com/groups/jiggly_joggers/ Good luck

Ross

Run4fun, I completely feel your pain. Our company also went to a 4 day a week, 10 hour day schedule back in July. I was always a morning runner when we worked 8-5. No way can I get up at 3:00 a.m. and put the miles in. Running after work is tough, especially when you have family. Even when you prioritize your runs, and your family knows that it comes first, you still are just flat worn out from that long of a work day. I feel real good at 3:00, but by 5:00 p.m.I am mentally and physically worn out from sitting at a desk for 10 hours. Here are the adjustments that I made. They are by no means a perfect solution, but at least it hs kept me going. My work schedule is Monday through Thursday, 6:00-5:00. I adjusted my schedule so that my two rest days fall on like Monday and Wednesday, or Monday and Tuesday. This way, you only have to deal with the after work runs on two days. If you make these "easy" runs, and keep the distance fairly short, that gets you home sooner. Now, you can schedule your "quality" workouts in the morning or during the day of your 3 day weekend when your feeling fresh. It is mind games I`m guessing, but it has took the sting out of it for me. I still hate the work schedule, but keep in mind that working is mandatory, and the running is optional. So it`s easy to see which one has to be adjusted. Just get out there any way you can. Don`t forget that you can keep your running gear in the car and go for a quick 3 or 4 miler during lunch. Do whatever it takes. Just get out there again and start doing it! Wink
                              "I never said it was going to be easy. I only said it would be worth it."
                                I love to run. I hate to walk. But I think it is a necessary evil.
                                My company wanted to go to the 10 hr day and I voted/argued against it precicely for this reason.....I didnt want it to screw up my running (there were enough people with enough reason to keep it from happening)..... Think of walking as the building blocks for running. Running must be pretty hard for you right now but if you want to hit the streets, then you HAVE to walk and you have to figure out a time that you can get it going. You are already familiar with C25K and you might want to consider starting at the beginning again. You dont want to start up too quickly or by trying to do too much. It will either be too hard or you will end up hurt....both bad options.. But first you have to get yourself up, dressed, motivated and out the door............. Not much we can do about that - Getting out the door and getting going is all internal... You just have to make the decision that you want fitness more then you want fatness - figure out a time that will work (no easy task in your case), and then do something about it (sounds easy, but I know its not so easy)... But if you decided to go -- let us know and we can help you along the way... OH YEAH -- YOU CAN DO IT......... Big grin Big grin Big grin Shocked Shocked

Champions are made when no one is watching