Some getting to know you questions because I'm shamefully nosey! (Read 1403 times)

The young Mama Bear!

How old were you when you started running? 19. Wink What was your prior experience? None, besides loving track beforehand. What made you get into it? I just plain wanted to be able to do it! What training or program did you use, if any, to get back into it? C25K. How long has it been since you started? It's been about a month, and I'm less than 3 weeks from completing it! What's your weekly/monthly mileage goal? Weekly, I'd like to get up to 10 miles a week, running 3 days a week.
    Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
    Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
      How old were you when you started running? 11 and 23 (took a little break from really training from 19-22 althought i still ran some fun runs :O) ) What was your prior experience? i was 11 when i did my first 5k and then ran all through midde/high school (mutliple district champs and state qualifiers :O) )and earned a Division I scholarship to University of Portland. Got injured and burnt out after one year and took a coupel years off from training but i still ran for fun when i wanted too. What made you get into it? 1st time - i had fun and placed 2nd on the 5k and loved it. My dad realized i had some talent and encouraged me! 2nd time - Because i realized i missed running competitively and decided i also wanted to complete a marathon What training or program did you use, if any, to get back into it? i'm running with USA Fit training for the Dallas WhiteRock Marathon. Usually i just use knowledge from past workouts and books i've read to do my own. How long has it been since you started? almost 15 years ...i've done at least a few 5k fun runs every year since i was 11 What's your weekly/monthly mileage goal? i'm at about 25-30 right now trying to ramp it up without injuries Smile
        How old were you when you started running? This "go": 37, 2 months before turning 38. What was your prior experience? 16-18: High school cross country. 32: Started running regularly, thinking it would be cool to run the Peachtree. I worked up to running several 10ks that year. Felt like I was on the verge of injury or pain at all times. In hindsight, I was probably running too fast all the time "Slow" or "easy" then only meant trying not to beat your previous time or pace, and fast meant trying to do "better" than last time out. Was also most likely not hydrated enough, in general. Quit and started up again a couple of times. What made you get into it? Looming benchmark age 40. Started hearing about "normal" people that I knew training for and running marathons. Had always thought/believed/been taught that doing something like that was only for the exceptionally gifted or exceptionally driven. A little research this time on how not to burn out or injure yourself. Used a heart rate monitor. Realized it was the last/only exercize that was 100% on my terms and schedule (as opposed to the gym or martial arts, my other past forms of exercise) What training or program did you use, if any, to get back into it? The "C25k" Couch to 5k plan on CoolRunning How long has it been since you started? Just short of 2 years What's your weekly/monthly mileage goal? None, specifically. I would like to work up to running a marathon. For some my mileage always peaks out in the mid-20's (which is low for marathon training) before I get derailed by life or motivation or an injury issue, and have to back off and build back up.
          How old were you when you started running? near 30, probably, but just jogged a little off and on then until 7 yr ago; 54 when I started structured running. What was your prior experience? huh? hiking, backpacking, etc. What made you get into it? originally to stay awake in 8am class (taught by my major prof); later cuz I wanted to do "a little more" for stress relief, totally unsuspecting of what that might lead to What training or program did you use, if any, to get back into it? Originally, none - just ran around sports field complex. When starting structured running, I used Roy Benson's pgm, until that totally broke down when running in snow. Mostly just wing it. How long has it been since you started? about 30+ yr since the original jogging; 7.5 yr since started "structured" running. What's your weekly/monthly mileage goal? none; but I generally have long run duration and climb goals (based on race) and run enough besides that to support that
          "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
            How old were you when you started running? Been running my whole time in the Navy but seriously running at 31 What was your prior experience? Ran track in high school and Military Formations What made you get into it? Combination of three separate things: Recovery from Knee surgery, quit smoking and wife getting prego and I gained about 30-40 pounds and wanted to get rid of it What training or program did you use, if any, to get back into it? Started but never finished C25K How long has it been since you started? Somewhere around a year but not really sure What's your weekly/monthly mileage goal? Don't really have one just want to finish my 3 1/2 marathons at the end of the year
            2009 Goals...:
            -run more miles than 2008

-build base to train for 2010 Rome Marathon

Old, Slow, Happy

How old were you when you started running? I was 50. What was your prior experience? I hated running and only did it when necessary. I was a basketball player. What made you get into it? I started in the gym on treadmills. When I got outside and was able to run far enough to actually go somewhere, it became FUN. What training or program did you use, if any, to get back into it? Didn't and don't use any program. I just do what I want. Hence the LSD King stuff. How long has it been since you started? I've been going for 4 years, 7 months. What's your weekly/monthly mileage goal? I like to get about 50 miles in a week. I'm happy if I get over 45.
                Age I started running:55 years. Previous experience: Some X-country in high school. What made me start: I could no longer afford to race cars. Training program: Took a clinic at local Running Room. Weekly mileage goal: around 50-60 kms. (31-37 miles.)

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

How old were you when you started running? Got off the treadmill at 42! What was your prior experience? None other than the occaisonal 30 mins. on a treadmill. What made you get into it? A friend of mine was working on a benefit race committee and talked me into it. What training or program did you use, if any, to get back into it? After my first race I tried Hal Higdon's novice program. How long has it been since you started? 2.5 years. What's your weekly/monthly mileage goal; I'm in the low 40's/wk. now will hit around 55 next month. I'm training for my 3rd marathon, 10/12 Steamtown. I've trained 3 times already but only got to run 2 so far.
                    How old were you when you started running? 23 What was your prior experience? was a sprinter & triple jumper in JH/HS What made you get into it? I wanted to lose a few pounds What training or program did you use, if any, to get back into it? none, I just ran until I got tired and gradually increased distance How long has it been since you started? will be 2 years in Oct. What's your weekly/monthly mileage goal? 25 mpw but gradually increasing
                      How old were you when you started running? 22 first time 45 second time 53 third and FINAL starting age (ill never stop again) What was your prior experience? None Formal I trained for and ran the Boston Marathon once (when I was 32 - many moons ago) Mostly recreational and for health benefits What made you get into it?I had to pass the Army Officers Physical Fitness test which included a 2 mile run and I couldnt do it at first..so I started running daily to get in shape for the Military What training or program did you use, if any, to get back into it?Currently using a hybred of Hal Hagdons Marathon training plan...except I like to run 5 days and he calls for 4 days so I modified it a little -Joined a running club and am getting great advise from other experienced runners and the running club's running coach. How long has it been since you started?-Been back this time for 2 years or so What's your weekly/monthly mileage goal?-Am currently between 20 and 25 -Will work up to 30 ---- and then Ill decide from there -Intend to run one or two marathons in 2009 Big grin

Champions are made when no one is watching

Mishka-old log

How old were you when you started running? 14 first time, went until 26 y/o, only cycling until 28, trying to figure out running again for last 2 years What was your prior experience? Track and XC in HS and college 1992 - 2001 A few road races and triathlon from 2001 - 2004 What made you get into it? My strength in the traditional childhood sports was always the running part What training or program did you use, if any, to get back into it? None. How long has it been since you started? 16 years What's your weekly/monthly mileage goal? Currently - 50 2009 - 70

How old were you when you started running? 12 (7th grade) - ran thru fresh yr college 34 41 (now) What was your prior experience? 12 (7th grade) - none 34 - 7th grade to fresh college track/x-country 41 - see above What made you get into it? 12- Track Coach recruited me...older brother and sisters 34- was living in CA for a year, few responsibilities, had to bike to work anyway, so decided to do a marathon and wanted to beat my older sister's time. 41- Desire to see what I can do if I stick with it longer than the usual 6 month attention span. How long has it been since you started? see above What's your weekly/monthly mileage goal? Currently around 25-30. Would like to get to 35-40 this year.
                          Favorite quote: Stop your crying you little girl! 2011: Mt Washington, Washington Trails, Peaks Island, Pikes Peak.
                            How old were you when you started running? 33 What was your prior experience? none What made you get into it? wanted to get more fit What training or program did you use, if any, to get back into it? none... (Cooper's "aerobics") How long has it been since you started? 37 years What's your weekly/monthly mileage goal? 40s or 50s mi/wk ok for now, 60s would be fine

Double IPA Please!

How old were you when you started running? This time around 34 What was your prior experience? I had been running off and off since my early 20's late teens What made you get into it? I love the way it makes me feel during and after What training or program did you use, if any, to get back into it? None specific..I read a lot and used a little from here or there this time around How long has it been since you started? This time- a year has now passed where I have run solid What's your weekly/monthly mileage goal? Im working my way up to 40mpw and then Ill just hang out there for awhile until I make the plung into a full Mary at some point in my life- Im in no hurry.

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

Shipping is always free with me!! :-)

How old were you when you started running? I started running track in grade school and ran cross country for a few years in high school. I really became a runner about 4 years ago though when I ran my second ever 5k as an adult and then ran my first half marathon. Ever since then I've been hooked! What was your prior experience? See above. I am also a beginner running coach for one program and a marathon coach for another. What made you get into it? For the health benefits. I want to be in the best shape possible. What training or program did you use, if any, to get back into it? I didn't use any program. I joined a local women only group I heard about and did that for two years until I foudn the groups that I coach now. OK, I did follow the HH novice program for my first half and then made my own plan for the second. How long has it been since you started? Technically it's been 15-16 years but I've only considered myself a real runner for the last 4. What's your weekly/monthly mileage goal? This week I am trying to hit 35 miles which is a new record for me. I don't have any monthly mileage goals for now. I prefer to take the smaller picture and really run day by day so that I don't injure myself (again).
                                Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09