Beginner Runner 46yo (Read 52 times)

Sweet_Feet

I am just getting into running for fitness and to push myself. Running 2-3 times per week since January and now built up to a Sunday 5 mile run.  I feel good after this week but am curious how long it takes to reduce times consistently.  Ran a 5k 4 weeks ago in 29:40 and my goal was to break 30 but now I want to go much lower...27:00 is next target. When should I try another race and what type of training needed to improve 3 minutes

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Especially just starting, the single biggest factor for improvement is adding more miles, mostly easy miles.  Rate of improvement is highly individual.  I wouldn't race more frequently than once a month initially.  It's all too easy to race too frequently and not leave time for training because so much is taken up with recovery.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Sweet_Feet

Thanks for the advice.  Anymore suggestions on training plans or good places to find running info?  I want to keep up my momentum gained during my pre 5k race schedule

SMART Approach

This site is a great resource. Use Search function. Google is too. Get on Instagram and Favebook Groups. I am Coach T on I LOVE TO RUN Facebook group where I give weekly tips and ton of interaction. A lot of info out there to learn.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

In a nutshell, without elaboration, the best way to get faster is to run more miles. And they don't need to be fast.

Training plans, especially the One Size Fits Most that you'll find online, might help later, after you're in good running condition. Or they might not make a lick of difference. Everyone is a bit different in how their body responds to workouts and periodization.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying