2014 Sub-18 5K (Read 544 times)

In. Just turned 30.  Never run sub 18 before.  Probably in about 18 high shape right now so a loong way to go, but I feel like if I can string some consistent training together for half a year or so I can get there.  It's been 2 years since i've really had my training go well.

ultramarathon/triathlete

Throw me on the board please.

I've been close this year a few times (18:12 and 18:10) and several other good ones.  Mine were races with a good solid hill so I'm sure I can knock of a dozen seconds with a flatter course, or just keep training and learn to better roll up that big hill next time.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
      Gatorade Endurance Team

In.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

lagwagon

count me in also.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Finally broke 18 minutes today coming in at 17:48. Might have been able to go a little faster but I was afraid of blowing up. Will try another 5k around Christmas to see if I can get under 17:40

Doesn't counter: false start.  It isn't 2014 yet.  DQ!

Congrats.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

some call me Tim

Everything matters*

and

Solving the 5k puzzle

*"Too many people follow the system of one person," he believes. "They say, ‘this guy had great results, let’s follow him,’ but it could be completely incorrect for you. The truth is, I believe in nothing, Lebowski. I believe in everything and nothing. Because you realize it all criss-crosses over into everything—you have to have everything. Now where is the money?"

But seriously, very interesting read.

Runner100

-

Sorry guys. Did not even read the title that says "2014" I will wait until 2014 to report any further progress lol

some call me Tim

"Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling. There are rules."

Big grin

Apparently I'm developing a theme. Congrats on smashing the barrier on the warmup lap - I'm sure 2014 is gonna be great!

I'm in! I'm in college and have run times in other races that tell me I should easily be able to break it. I even ran under 18 for the first 5k of an 8k race, but I have never been able to actually get under 18 for a 5k race! So frustrating! This spring is the time that it will finally happen!!

Count me in too.  My PR is 19:53 or something but in all fairness I haven't run a 5k in 2 years and am in much better shape than ever.  Even still, sub 18 is probably a stretch for me but WTF, everyone needs a goal.

My best race, marathon of 3:07, puts me in the 19:15 range but who knows with a little bit of speed work.

Age 43.  Seems like mostly us older guys shooting for glory here anyways!

Good luck all

2018 Goals

Figure out the achilles thing...... and THEN try to get running regularly again.

No racing goals 

In. PR of 18:06 this year. 31 in December.

Got a couple races in last 2 weeks, which are my best this year. Sub 1:26 half, and 18:46 5k...not quite in the ballpark yet but the closest I have been since a long time of enjoying being lazy and out of shape. Optimistic and hoping to roll into spring/summer of 2014 in decent enough shape to start chipping away.

MTA:  data points anyway

Current Goals: Run and stuff

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

One more opportunity to fail, so count me in.  Turning 43 in a few weeks.  Have broken 18 many times, but since the last one was in 1995 or 1996, let's call that a No.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.