1 day to go (to Boston) (Read 3437 times)

flovesparko

Riggs, from the way you wrote this, it looks like you meant, "i do not think you'll benefit from a 5x1200 at 5k pace"?

I think a lot of us are doing this workout because we're following Pfitz plans, and he includes a weekly interval session at 5k pace during this phase of marathon training. He calls it "Race Preparation." Yeah, it's faster than marathon pace, but we've already done a bunch of MP work at this point.

On the flip side, I just finished reading Hudson's book, and he agrees with you. Focus on race pace in the final weeks before a goal race.

I don't think either approach is wrong, but I also don't know if one is better than another. It might be true that one approach would work better for a given individual than another. Pfitz worked well for me last time, but I also haven't tried Hudson's method, so I can't really compare.

So, who the hell knows.

Yes, I'm also following Pfitz so that's why I did 1200's last night.  I've  done enough lactate threshold workouts and marathon pace runs so I see why he has us doing the 1200's.    Much harder pace to maintain especially for that distance and I think it will help when I start breathing hard at the end of the marathon or with some of the tougher hills.  To me it's a confidence boost to know that I have that little extra speed when needed.  I will have to check out the Hudson's method in the future.  So many ways to train, it could be better.  You make a goal yet?

The Thunder

Thunder, if you can drop sub-6's in the last two miles, you went out too slow.

And hey, I like the diversion attempt. It will make it much easier for you to save face when I run you into the ground.

"Yeah, Dakota beat me, but I really didn't care about that. My real goal was to beat my college buddy, which I did, so I'm happy."

Or...

"Yeah, Dakota beat me, but that's only because I killed myself trying to stay with my college buddy."

See?

Well the good news is that if I reach my goal and beat those guys...there is no way you or dacook will beat me.  So it's all or nothing baby.

1 Hip and 2 Hamstring reconstructions later…

http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/news/x905410764/Marathon-will-add-200-more-portable-toilets

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/news/x905410764/Marathon-will-add-200-more-portable-toilets

Only a runner could truly understand why this is even a story, you really can't have too many.  I was in one of the supermarket ones when the jets did their flyover last year, and heard the announcement of the start in it.  I did manage to get into my corral just before it started moving.

E.J.
          Greater Lowell Road Runners
          Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Right on Hereford...

Well the good news is that if I reach my goal and beat those guys...there is no way you or dacook will beat me.  So it's all or nothing baby.

Gotta respect that!

Who are these guys, by the way? Should we sneak in with spray paint and put targets on their backs?

The Thunder

Gotta respect that!

Who are these guys, by the way? Should we sneak in with spray paint and put targets on their backs?

Actually, it could be a good pack of us.  You'll know who they are, because the three of us will all be wearing the same bright yellow singlets.  We'll be well marked for you and dacook.   I'll introduce you to them before the race.  BTW, when can I order my new trail shoes!?  I had to toss out that last pair.  They fell apart pretty quickly after my last two ultra's.

1 Hip and 2 Hamstring reconstructions later…

Marquess of Utopia

Great news!

But this guy is an idiot:

"We americans have nasty diets that require us to go to the john more often. Its sad."

Right on Hereford...

Actually, it could be a good pack of us.  You'll know who they are, because the three of us will all be wearing the same bright yellow singlets.  We'll be well marked for you and dacook.   I'll introduce you to them before the race.  BTW, when can I order my new trail shoes!?  I had to toss out that last pair.  They fell apart pretty quickly after my last two ultra's.

Nice, the yellow should be easy to spot. I like to race from behind, anyway.

I'm not surprised those X-1's fell apart after a couple of ultras. Those were some tough races, huh. Plus, they were pretty light shoes. I'll see what I've got in the garage...will do another shoe giveaway soon, I hope, but if it doesn't happen before Boston just PM me and I can bring a pair with me.

Are we there yet?

3 weeks off due to injury

2 weeks left to throw down mileage

1 chance to run Boston for the first time

I'm goin Dopple on my log....  ARGH!!

Anyone have a guesstimate on how much time to allot for the expo, this is my first big marathon and I would like to have the time to get my bib and wander around it and see what there is to see.  My wife and I am going to drive up Saturday, but because of dropping off the children with grandparents and driving distance we probably would not make the expo until about 4:00 (it is only open until 6:00).  Is 1.5-2 hours enough time for a first timer to do the expo, or should I just not bother Saturday, and go just Sunday when there would be more time?  Thanks for any help.

Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, It is well, it is well with my soul.

http://www.adidas.com/campaigns/performance/ru_ss10/content/events.aspx

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

The hay is in the barn, the last long run is in my rearview mirror and it's TAPER TIME!  Yeah!

If you run to the right side of the road in the early miles, you might wind up with a free pic on jimrhoades.com.  Last year his crew also took pics at 30k and 20 miles.  I'm flipping through millions of shots to pull out Greater Lowell pics for a slideshow at the upcoming annual dinner.  My eyes are starting to bleed.

This is a good example, note the kilt, Crocs and what appears to be a disposable Tyvek jacket.  This guy's prepared for anything the day can throw at him.

E.J.
                          Greater Lowell Road Runners
                          Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Right on Hereford...

This is a good example, note the kilt, Crocs and what appears to be a disposable Tyvek jacket.  This guy's prepared for anything the day can throw at him.

Whoa, that guy is nuts! I looked him up in last year's results. Looks like he ran into difficulty in the 2nd half...

Bib #7501

split  lap  pace
                             5k  21:52  21:52  7:02
                             10k  43:39  21:47  7:01
                             15k  1:06:19  22:40  7:18
                             20k  1:29:32  23:13  7:28
                             Half  1:34:49  1:34:49  7:14
                             25k  1:54:50  25:18  8:09
                             30k  2:27:27  32:37  10:30
                             35k  3:01:22  33:55  10:55
                             40k  3:33:50  32:28  10:27
                             2nd Half  3:47:04  2:12:15  10:05
                             Finish  3:47:04  8:40

kcam

Whoa, that guy is nuts! I looked him up in last year's results. Looks like he ran into difficulty in the 2nd half...

7501   42 M   USA    
                              Checkpoints 5k 10k 15k 20k Half 25k 30k 35k 40k
                              0:21:52 0:43:39 1:06:19 1:29:32 1:34:49 1:54:50 2:27:27 3:01:22 3:33:50
                              Finish Pace Projected Time Official Time Overall Gender Division
                              0:08:40   3:47:04 12299 8706 1595

"Yeah!  Feeling good at the 1/2, Now's the time we separate the men from the boys. Lets pick up the pace and run this next 5K at 20minutes, should be able to shake some of these losers around me."  DingDong! 

Please don't let that be me this year.

Nevermind....7587 is a transexual marathon runner.... FYI...