3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

2018 Hurtlocker Race Calendar & Race Times (Read 32 times)

Bloomsday 12km - Spokane, Washington

I set my goal for a sub 48:00 for the roughly 7.5 mile distance.  I ended up at 47:46.  I was also hoping for a top ten placing in my Age Group (Males 50-54) and I managed to place 6th out of the 1050 that were in the group. (219th out of 37,671 race participants)

The race was actually moving along quite nicely, until I hit the dreaded Doomsday Hill (a half mile long, steep hill located at 4.5 miles into the course.  It wasn't that the hill went badly, it was just that I gave up a lot of my pace for the final 2.5 miles after the hill.  I feel that there is certainly more in the tank.  Perhaps I should have had a bit more respect for the hills on the course.

I'm happy enough with the result - until next time.

Just a dude.

May 20th - Fun with the Runs 5k - 5k race.

Should be hilly at over 6000 feet elevation. Probably on pavement though... I'll post a goal after I get a course map I think. I'm thinking sub 22...

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

C-R

Ran One America Mini Saturday. Great conditions and I managed a 1:44:32. Reasonable for my advanced weight.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Forgot to add today's race: Strawberry Stride 5k - Portland, Tn.  Goal was Sub-22 since first race was 22:32

Ran 5th overall in 21:18.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

Just a dude.

May 20th - Fun with the Runs 5k - 5k race.

Should be hilly at over 6000 feet elevation. Probably on pavement though... I'll post a goal after I get a course map I think. I'm thinking sub 22...

-Kelly

It was very hilly. Almost 450 feet of climbing. And some of the downhills were too steep to run fast. Course was also long by about 2 tenths according to the course mapper on RA.

I finished 5th overall, 5th AG (18 and over) in 24:20.

Two of my daughters were running. I went back and jogged them in at the finish. A guy just in front of my daughter passed out on the course. I sprinted the last 400ish to tell the race people what happened. Ended up he had a heart attack. Took forever for the ambulance to show up, and they ended up taking him by helicopter to the nearest hospital. It's unlikely he survived... :-(

The post race chili cook off wasn't nearly as enjoyable after all that... :-/

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

5/20 Sugarloaf Marathon - Idea here is to BQ, which doesn't seem anywhere near as much of a given as it used to. Goal is 3:23:03.

50/50 on this one. 3:25:44, so we'll see this fall if 4:16 is enough of a cushion to actually get me in.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

Prince of Fatness

5/20 MrFinn - Jacobsburg 10 Mile Trail Race ... Goal < 1:49

I ran this last year in 1:53.  The course measured 10.5 miles on my Garmin.  I've been running steady enough since my half last fall but haven't felt motivated at all, especially the last several weeks.  All of this snow and cold since the beginning of March has not helped.  We'll see, maybe I'll get interested.

Nope.  Running fell off a bit, but I still should have been able to challenge that time.  Conditions were much worse than last year though.  It was warm and muggy and the course was awful muddy from days of rain prior to the race.  Quite the opposite from last year.  The fact that I was wearing road shoes with over 700 miles on them did not help.  I really thought that the effort was on par with last year but, alas, the time was not even close ..... 2:01:32.

Not at it at all. 

Whitefish Lake Run 5KM - Whitefish, Montana. 6/30/2018

19:12 - 3rd place OA, 1st place AG

The race went well with the weather being cool.  The course was of the rolling hill variety and was a loop with the start and the finish being at the same spot.  It seemed like everyone went out quickly, as I followed and gradually moved through the field.  I moved into third by the

half way point.  The top five were all high school runners (excluding myself, of course.) so that explains the quick start.

My goal was to run at least two minutes faster than I did when I ran the race last year.  Last year I managed to place 7th OA, and 1st in my AG with a time of 21:40.  I've done quite a bit of training since last year, and more importantly have lost quite a few lbs. since then.

My improvement on the course was 2:28, so my goal was achieved.

Prince of Fatness

11/4 - MrFinn - D & L Half Marathon - goal sub 1:50

At age 55 my days of going for lifetime PRs are behind me but this would be a 4 minute improvement over the same race last year.   That’s all I’ve got.

My running was sub par during the spring and a good chunk of summer.  It has picked up in the last several weeks but I think that I may need some divine intervention to break 1:50.  That's still the goal though.  I have cut back on beer consumption with the hopes of losing 5 or so pounds before race day.  That should help.  I was 187 for this race last year and if I can get under 180 this year it should make a bit of a difference.  A pound a week is all that is needed.

Not at it at all. 

MyFitnessPal.com - free calorie tracker, that also helps to motivate.  It's worked wonders for me this past year.  I call it a "keep you honest" tool.

Good Luck with the weight loss.

My running was sub par during the spring and a good chunk of summer.  It has picked up in the last several weeks but I think that I may need some divine intervention to break 1:50.  That's still the goal though.  I have cut back on beer consumption with the hopes of losing 5 or so pounds before race day.  That should help.  I was 187 for this race last year and if I can get under 180 this year it should make a bit of a difference.  A pound a week is all that is needed.

Prince of Fatness

MyFitnessPal.com - free calorie tracker, that also helps to motivate.  It's worked wonders for me this past year.  I call it a "keep you honest" tool.

Good Luck with the weight loss.

Thanks.  I did the Weight Watcher thing years ago.  It works.  They all work to some degree.  Bottom line is with all of them keep track of what you eat and eat less.  With me it's really about habit.

I thought about cutting beer out completely for this race, but feared that it may lead to the occasional binging.  So I am allowing myself a couple of beers with dinner on the weekends.  So far it's working.  The other place that this can benefit me is after the race.  I feel like I am less likely to go back to my old habits doing it this way.

I'd say that fitness wise I'm very close to where I was last year, so I am hoping that taking off the weight puts me over the top.  The race is 5 weeks from Sunday.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

11/4 - MrFinn - D & L Half Marathon - goal sub 1:50

At age 55 my days of going for lifetime PRs are behind me but this would be a 4 minute improvement over the same race last year.   That’s all I’ve got.

I split the difference.  1:51:50.  All and all I can complain about a 2 minute improvement over last year.  Maybe next year I can get the other 2 minutes.

Not at it at all. 

C-R

Melt the Trail 5k = 24:16

Happy since I ran 8.2 with the running club before the race.

"Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

C-R

Jag run 5k. 24::10 with some serious hills in the cemetery.