3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

February 2013 Racing Thread (Read 278 times)

an amazing likeness

Feb 24, 2013

Hyannis Half Marathon

Hyannis, MA

goal: sub 1:41

Nope. Not going to happen. Scratch #3 for 2013.

Any one want my bib, or know anyone who does?  PM me.  I've been trying to contact the RD for a deferral with no luck, no reply to any emails. You'd have to run as a 52 year old, bald, fat guy...but it'd be free.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Walk-Jogger

Any one want my bib, or know anyone who does?  PM me.  I've been trying to contact the RD for a deferral with no luck, no reply to any emails. You'd have to run as a 52 year old, bald, fat guy...but it'd be free.

I could pass for the 52 and balding, sort of... 2 out of 3 ain't bad, right? Don't think I can scrape up a couple grand for a plane ticket on short notice however, or else I'd go for it

Retired &  Loving It

xhristopher

I could pass for the 52 and balding, sort of... 2 out of 3 ain't bad, right? Don't think I can scrape up a couple grand for a plane ticket on short notice however, or else I'd go for it

... and I'll be the fat guy who's already registered. I'd get my ass handed to me in your AG.

Do you want me to get your shirt and stuff?? I could give it to you in New Bedford.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

10 miler Feb 24. I'll shoot for better than last year's 1:03:50.

(So I think I won't do a last long run this coming weekend.)

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Chilly 5k - goal 19:39

First race since October 2011 (wow it's been that long) Minor set-back at the end of December but came through it and am ready to start workouts now. Not really expecting much but man am I looking forward to hurting, it been too long.

19:53.  It was 8 degrees.

This ended up being more of a hard tempo than a race.  I guess in not racing for 16 months you sort of forget how. Spent the entire 2nd half trying to find someone to run with but couldn't make up any ground on the guy in front of me. I have no gears. I haven't been able to string any sort of consistent training together in ages.

Lots of work to be done, feel like i'm healthy again so looking forward to improving on this.

#artbydmcbride

2/17 LA Sheriff's 10k, Walnut CA   goal 57:00  (very steep hills)

57:45

The pain in my glute was enough to alter my stride.  I need to fix this somehow.

Runners run

Walk-Jogger

57:45

The pain in my glute was enough to alter my stride.  I need to fix this somehow.

I keep a golf ball in my desk at work, and when I get a glute pain, I get it out and sit on it and roll it around, and give the stinkin glute a reason to hurt. 

Clown

Retired &  Loving It

Walk-Jogger

Retired &  Loving It

NaderAlfie

2/23

Cupid's Chase 5k

Glen Rock, NJ

sub-19

My last two 5k's were 19:04, then 19:12.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

19:53.  It was 8 degrees.

This ended up being more of a hard tempo than a race.  I guess in not racing for 16 months you sort of forget how. Spent the entire 2nd half trying to find someone to run with but couldn't make up any ground on the guy in front of me. I have no gears. I haven't been able to string any sort of consistent training together in ages.

Lots of work to be done, feel like i'm healthy again so looking forward to improving on this.

But it looks like you still have the right mindset when you're out there. You'll get back.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

#artbydmcbride

I keep a golf ball in my desk at work, and when I get a glute pain, I get it out and sit on it and roll it around, and give the stinkin glute a reason to hurt. 

Clown

I've been sitting and rolling on  a tennis ball and it isn't reaching it!   It seems to be deep where the hamstring attaches?  Sad

Runners run

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

I've been sitting and rolling on  a tennis ball and it isn't reaching it!   It seems to be deep where the hamstring attaches?  Sad

Try a lacrosse ball. A tennis ball is too soft to get really deep. Finn recommended it and it works well.

Lacrosse Ball

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Walk-Jogger

Try a lacrosse ball. A tennis ball is too soft to get really deep. Finn recommended it and it works well.

Lacrosse Ball

That's too funny - all the user feedback on Amazon dot com for this ball is from runners and similar people using it for therapy for their owies!

I agree with the tennis ball is too soft comment. I have one at home but only use it on rare occasions, under my arches mainly. I have to stand on it full weight to really mash it in and get something going with it.

Retired &  Loving It

xhristopher

Ditto here too. Well, except for the bald and 52 part.

We've got our third snowstorm weekend heading out way and I just can't justify driving 160 miles round trip in the middle of it for a tune-up race. Just not worth it. Instead I'm going to run a local 5K saturday morning then try for 18 locally in the snow.

2/23 -- CliveF -- Charlotte Ten-Miler (Charlotte NC) -- Goal = um, I dunno, sub-68?  (PR's 1:09:07 from MAR2012, FWIW.)

I'm definitely sick with something; the forecast is calling for biblical rain; and 6 of this race's 10 miles will be on a slick, occasionally submerged wood-plank path.  Yee-haw.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau