3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Who had a good workout this week? (Read 2359 times)

Feeling the growl again

6X400 on long (3:00-3:10) recoveries.  70-71-71-71-70-69.  Hit the pacing pretty good but wow is my speed non-existent... I decided after 4 to do 6 instead of 8 and the last one was pretty much all-out.

Interesting finding....no HRM but measuring by hand immediately after the last interval I don't think my HR is topping 170.  That is a problem for short races.  I had this happen in years past and it seems to respond to training and get back to a higher max.  But for now it sucks.

It was a good workout though.  I liked it when during the cooldown, after my legs recovered from the acute fatigue, I found myself easily cruising along 20sec/mile faster than when I warmed up because the slow pace felt so easy.  Have to love the quick returns....

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

kcam

6X400 on long (3:00-3:10) recoveries.  70-71-71-71-70-69.  Hit the pacing pretty good but wow is my speed non-existent... I decided after 4 to do 6 instead of 8 and the last one was pretty much all-out.

Interesting finding....no HRM but measuring by hand immediately after the last interval I don't think my HR is topping 170.  That is a problem for short races.  I had this happen in years past and it seems to respond to training and get back to a higher max.  But for now it sucks.

It was a good workout though.  I liked it when during the cooldown, after my legs recovered from the acute fatigue, I found myself easily cruising along 20sec/mile faster than when I warmed up because the slow pace felt so easy.  Have to love the quick returns....

Nice one.  What kind of racing do you plan on this summer?   I hear ya on how good the cooldown feels, even at quicker pace than normal, after an interval session.

Nice one.  What kind of racing do you plan on this summer?   I hear ya on how good the cooldown feels, even at quicker pace than normal, after an interval session.

Nice w/o Spaniel.  There's some speed there.  Ken, I'm guessing that there's this little 5k challenge where he's trying to get under 16 min.  Some of us will be in trouble once he wakes up those fast twitch muscles.

Feeling the growl again

Nice w/o Spaniel.  There's some speed there.  Ken, I'm guessing that there's this little 5k challenge where he's trying to get under 16 min.  Some of us will be in trouble once he wakes up those fast twitch muscles.

Well it may take an external defibrillator to wake them up, I think they're on life support.

70sec quarters, FFS.

But the way I look at it you can't run a 4:45 mile if you have trouble with 70sec quarters.  And you can't run a sub-16 5K if you can't run a 4:45 mile.  And you can't run a 2:27 marathon if you can't run a sub-16 5K.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

But the way I look at it you can't run a 4:45 mile if you have trouble with 70sec quarters.  And you can't run a sub-16 5K if you can't run a 4:45 mile.  And you can't run a 2:27 marathon if you can't run a sub-16 5K.

WTF?  You're talking all rationally now. I think you need a beer.

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

IK,R?

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

kcam

Well it may take an external defibrillator to wake them up, I think they're on life support.

70sec quarters, FFS.

You sound like a would-be sub-2-hour marathoner.

Feeling the growl again

I'm better now.  Soon to be better X2 (damn weight loss thread).

Feeling the growl again

You sound like a would-be sub-2-hour marathoner.

I've been working so much I rarely check RA during the day, looks like I missed some pure gold today.

bhearn

Today I decided I'd try to run my staple 9-mile hill route (1,500 ft. up over 4.5 miles, then back)  faster than I have before. I didn't look at the time, just ran hard; I wanted some more downhill quad pounding heading into Western States. I've run it hard before. When I finished I thought maybe I'd just managed it -- just checked the log; I ran my fastest time by 5 1/2 minutes. 

Just a dude.

Today I decided I'd try to run my staple 9-mile hill route (1,500 ft. up over 4.5 miles, then back)  faster than I have before. I didn't look at the time, just ran hard; I wanted some more downhill quad pounding heading into Western States. I've run it hard before. When I finished I thought maybe I'd just managed it -- just checked the log; I ran my fastest time by 5 1/2 minutes. 

I love surprises like that. Sounds like you are making great progress...

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Good going!

steph  

Feeling the growl again

Looks like you have no option but to kill it at WS.  Big grin

kcam

BHEARN'S BACK, BABY!

Only bhearn's really IS back.  Sounds like all systems are go for WS100.  Good luck.

Walk-Jogger

Nice! Sounds like you're ready for WS.

I'd love to take a week or 10 days and HIKE the Western States route sometime.

Except for this part:  "a memorable crossing of the ice-cold waters of the main stem of the Middle Fork of the American River"

Retired &  Loving It