3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Who had a good workout this week? (Read 2359 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Completed my first 50k on Saturday in training for my first ultra attempt at the end of April.  The weather was perfect and I didn't trip over any roots despite the fact that I got out on the trails about an hour before the sun was up.

Hm. Some people would call that a success in your first ultra attempt. By first ultra attempt, do you mean first 50mi+, then?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

kcam

So I've been generally, and will continue to, follow the guidelines from Pfitzinger's Road Racing for Serious Runners as it pertains to training for a 10K.  My big race is on Memorial Day.  He has a good number of 12X100 workouts in there and today I did my second of these.  First one was Saturday a week ago.

I did 18.2, 17.9, 18.0, 18.2, 17.7, 17.7, 17.7, 17.9, 17.7, 17.6, 17.4, 17.3 with 64 to 70 seconds walk recovery.   All of them felt pretty darn good, not straining or struggling at the end.  I did a 2 mile warmup beforehand at 8:22 pace and then after the 12X100 I ran 3.4 miles at 7:45 back to work.  The 7:45 felt EASY after those 100s.  7:45 never feels 'easy' to me, more like a hardish easy pace. Kind of excited that this 2nd 12X100 was faster than the first one and I actually felt better during and after the workout.   Maybe this will be good for me. (famous last words!)

pcaharrier

Hm. Some people would call that a success in your first ultra attempt. By first ultra attempt, do you mean first 50mi+, then?

Ah, well, true.  And I did actually log it as a race so it would show up in my PRs.  I guess all along I've been thinking of the 24 hour race as my first "real" ultra since it's an organized race.  And, yes, I'll be shooting for 52.5 miles for that one.

Just a dude.

I'm encouraged by my run tonight. I'm still fat and slow, but I'm making good progress.

1.6 warmup, 4 miles tempo (2 x 2 mile loop), 1.6 cool down. Little bit windy, but not too bad.

My miles tonight were 7:20, 7:16, 7:04, and 6:50.

Last time I did this run (last month) they were 7:50, 7:36, 7:28, 7:16...

My race pace on my 5k 5 weeks ago was only 6:53.

Feels like I'm making decent headway...

I probably should have closer to even splits, but I haven't been able to balance how good I feel with how fast I'm moving yet. Probably need to risk more early on and see what happens...

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

Feeling the growl again

Good work Kelly.  I wouldn't worry so much about the lack of even pace since they were negative, seems you did fine to me.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Seriously.. that looks great.

And we run because we like it
              Through the broad bright land

Wed. night had a well rested run.. 607 (almost hit by a car), 607 (includes stopping b/c I was almost hit by a car) and 530. Im not sure why cars dont see me sometimes. I guess the glowing shoes and reflector vest isnt enough.

Thurs. afternoon ran 5 miles in 29:30. Including the 607 first mile and 545 final mile.

Just taking what I can get these days.

And we run because we like it
                Through the broad bright land

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Impressive progress, Kelly.

C-R

Very nice Kelly and you too park (good job dodging cars).

I didn't have a super speed workout today but it was solid from a state of mind workout. 14 miles @7:44 pace but through rain, sleet, snow and rain (with a nice wind mixed into the soup). I managed to nut up and get it done which is the type of mental attitude I need for the marathon in a couple of weeks.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

CR: Emil approves, I'm sure.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I've definitely broken my treadmill curse--I fell off one and got injured, years ago, and haven't felt like I was capable of running on one.

Ran 2hrs on one just now.

Feeling the growl again

I've definitely broken my treadmill curse--I fell off one and got injured, years ago, and haven't felt like I was capable of running on one.

Ran 2hrs on one just now.

See I have the opposite problem, I am capable of running on them, but they are not capable of me running on them.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Walk-Jogger

According to my new Garmin FR220 I hit a top speed of 36 mph yesterday  while running my 8 mile loop around town. So that's like 1:40 minutes per mile pace. I don't remember going that fast - it must have just been a blur . . .

Retired &  Loving It

Feeling the growl again

According to my new Garmin FR220 I hit a top speed of 36 mph yesterday  while running my 8 mile loop around town. So that's like 1:40 minutes per mile pace. I don't remember going that fast - it must have just been a blur . . .

LOL...seen similar...discarded any pace reading except average pace reading for interval...and ignored any interval under half a mile...and I'm no longer a super-elite athlete.  Sad

I've uploaded workouts where my Garmin suddenly dropped my elevation at the start. Now I run with a parachute.