3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

I'm going to hurt myself (Read 3386 times)

Feeling the growl again

Good to hear you had a nice trail day, Spud.

I'm not sure what to say about the doc thing.  Sure, perhaps a neurologist could do something.  If you REALLY want an answer, I'd try to research who actual pro runners etc see for things like this.  A doc who has actually seen similar issues before, not just specializes in neural issues (or perhaps one that does both).

That's all I've got.  It's a funky problem, I don't think your run-of-the-mill guy is necessarily any better equipped to figure it out than the ones you've already seen.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Prince of Fatness

I'm not sure what to say about the doc thing.  Sure, perhaps a neurologist could do something.  If you REALLY want an answer, I'd try to research who actual pro runners etc see for things like this.  A doc who has actually seen similar issues before, not just specializes in neural issues (or perhaps one that does both).

Thanks.  I'll dig around.  One thing that I will probably do is schedule an appointment with the guy that I went to for ART.  He can loosen me up and also does nerve flossing, which seems to help.  I can also talk to him about what to do going forward.  Nothing wrong with getting another opinion.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

Thanks.  I'll dig around.  One thing that I will probably do is schedule an appointment with the guy that I went to for ART.  He can loosen me up and also does nerve flossing, which seems to help.  I can also talk to him about what to do going forward.  Nothing wrong with getting another opinion.

Best of luck to you.  Honestly I can really sympathize with your situation.  I have been dealing with this (worsening) metabolic problem since ~2005-2007.  I used to think it was anemia-related but now I know it's more complex than that.  Constantly cold, low body temp, and over the past couple years I have a harder and harder time getting my body to be awake and productive in the morning.  Sleep/rest doesn't help.  I've on thyroid and got my TSH level where it's supposed to be know, that may have helped a bit bit not totally.  Got a good night of sleep last night....decided to try and cut out caffeine for a few days in case yesterday's race fiasco was because I have myself constantly wired on it....by 11:30am I simply passed out for 2 hours without intending to.  2 cups of coffee afterward and I was GTG and had a good run....but it's to the point that it is almost not with trying early morning runs at anything more than a jog pace.

They can't figure mine out either and don't really believe there is anything wrong.  Unless I come in on a stretcher or they can find some number out of whach I'm SOL.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Prince of Fatness

My wife deals with similar issues, so I am familiar with what you are dealing with.  She's had half of her thyroid removed due to nodules.  She's always cold, like you.  She has reynauds.  Her mother passed from RA and she worries about that since it is hereditary.  Seems like she has anything that has to do with auto immune problems.

I guess that the trick is not in finding a cure, but rather finding a way to manage it,

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

I guess that the trick is not in finding a cure, but rather finding a way to manage it,

Ironically, the best way to manage it is to run.  A lot.  The more I run, the better I feel.  In December I felt downright normal, except with all the other issues that kind of mileage brought with it.  The major reason I started running again after my long layoff in 2009 was that I was a wreck without running to boost me up.

After that 20-miler late in the afternoon, I feel so good I will likely not be able to sleep well.

Prince of Fatness

Ironically, the best way to manage it is to run.  A lot.

I wished that worked for me.  I think that the answer is somewhere in the middle for me, because I have taken time off and it has not helped at all.

Not at it at all. 

Ironically, the best way to manage it is to run.  A lot.  The more I run, the better I feel.  In December I felt downright normal, except with all the other issues that kind of mileage brought with it.  The major reason I started running again after my long layoff in 2009 was that I was a wreck without running to boost me up.

After that 20-miler late in the afternoon, I feel so good I will likely not be able to sleep well.

This is one of the MAIN reason's I started running!!! I'll never forget (and my husband won't let me) how I would be  a total wreck for a week  whenever I might over do it and when I say over do it I mean like walk around for a few hours while being on a weekend getaway in Niagra Falls. I think it took me almost 3 weeks to get over that trip. After I had my C-Section with the twins my body revolted and it never was back to "normal" until not only did I start running but I had to run LOTS.  It's almost like my body needs something that it gets when I run to regulate it's self.  The more miles I do the better I usually feel.  I had a total of 103.9 miles for the last 7 days yesterday and 2 of the runs were over 50k and I was working on what I wanted to do for speed work this coming week cause I was feeling so good. I am SOOOO not normal

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

I wished that worked for me.  I think that the answer is somewhere in the middle for me, because I have taken time off and it has not helped at all.

Wish I had some answers Sad I think you going back to the guy for more ART therapy and talking to him is a good idea! 

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Feeling the growl again

My issues also correlated with starting a desk job.  Perhaps coincidence, perhaps not.

I do know that I'm fighting seriously tight hammies as a result now.

My issues also correlated with starting a desk job.  Perhaps coincidence, perhaps not.

my 2 cents is that is most definitely NOT a coincidence!  I swear one of the worst things for me is sitting for long periods of time. With me not working, it's one of the main reason's I don't like taking a day off from running. When I do I tend to do more sitting than I should and I end up feeling like SHIT because of it. I most definitely don't feel more rested.

Take care of those hammies 

Feeling the growl again

Take care of those hammies 

Stretching religiously now.  On my 20-miler today after they started feeling twingy, I started running every other mile at 6min pace to force the stride length out.

Prince of Fatness

Drink a lot of water so you have to get up for a bathroom break more often.  I can't run during lunch so I go for a half hour walk instead.  Anything to break up the sitting.

Regarding the hamstrings, that is one area that hasn't bothered me in some time.  I do not stretch them.  At all.  One session a week of strengthening exercises seemed to do the trick.  Bridges and leg curls with feet up on an exercise ball, and lunges.  Whenever I felt hamstring twinges doing those exercises always helped.  Food for thought.  Since I am not running as much I am going to use the extra time to get in the habit of doing these exercises at least 2 - 3 times a week.  It's only 20 - 30 minutes.

Not at it at all. 

Not the kind of hurt I want but my right knee is driving me f-in nuts.  I have this tightness on the inside of the knee down by the calf.  There a tight pull there when I try to do a hamstring stretch and sometimes I can feel a tendon rubbing or clicking over when I flex my leg.  It's been there for a couple of weeks but usually doesn't hurt after I warm up.  It's been more tendor lately and has a consistent ache all the time. 

12 stupid weeks being consistent and I get this.  Going to take a few days off and give it a little TLC.  Or maybe I'll do the elliptical or bike, which I really don't care for or have any desire to do at this point. 

Still a no go.  Ran a little on Friday night and then again on Saturday.  The right knee (lower towards the calf) was throbbing all night on Saturday.  Didn't do much yesterday and guess I'll just take the time for it to heal itself.  **sigh**

Just a dude.

Well, I did a good job on myself...

Last Tuesday, I passed out on the freeway, hit the center wall twice, and T-boned a Toyota. I got chauffeured trip to the hospital and a CT scan, which showed that my body was ok and my brain was normal. They chalked it up to low blood sugar and said I had a big concussion. I was discharged and came home.  (I lost about 2 hours of memory on that day.)

Wednesday I felt fine, until about 5pm when I had a massive seizure looking thing where I was unconscious for around 6-8 minutes.  Back to the hospital I went.

In the hospital I had 2 very small episodes. They finally figured out that my heart was freaking out and not pumping any blood, which apparently looks just like a seizure.  So they kept me overnight for observation.  

At about 1:30 am I went into another huge seizure (V-Tach). At around 3 minutes in they did the defibrillator thing, and my heart returned to normal. I was told that it was nearly curtains for me.

So, they switched up my meds, and the next day they did an angiogram and a echo-cardiogram. They decided my plumbing is great, but my electrical is messed up. So last Friday I got a shiny new ICD, which is a pace maker with a defibrillator in it.

Came home from the hospital Saturday, and now I am on don't do anything orders for a week. Don't drive (or run) for 6 weeks. I've had conflicting reports, but the people I think knew the most say I should be able to go back to running normally when I recover.

No one has an idea of why things were great for 41 years, and then all of a sudden I had 5 issues in 2 days, but I guess that's how life works sometimes...

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Wow. That's some scary stuff Kelly. I hope you have a speedy recovery and no further issues.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.