3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

I'm going to hurt myself (Read 3386 times)

Prince of Fatness

In my experience, getting the work done more frequently than once every "few weeks" was huge for me in getting the tension out and keeping the area loose (looser, anyway) thereafter.

I agree but it will be challenging.  This guy, who I like and is real effective in loosening things up, is 75 miles away from home.  Logistically it's tough to get to see him with any kind of frequency.  So I guess that means that I am going to have to stay diligent with the stretching and the core work.  Since I am running less it has been easy to get the core stuff in.  The trick will be when I start running more again.  Core work always seems to be the thing pushed to the side.  I can't let that happen even if it means taking a day off from running.

Not at it at all. 

Ostrich runner

Dang dude.  

Supposedly these two months are the worst of the residency. One of the hardest things about the schedule for these two is that there isn't a daycare that is open the right hours. I've long said that one of the biggest problems with the legal/medical system is how we produce our professionals. By the time we're unleashed on the world, we just don't give a shit anymore.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

I've long said that one of the biggest problems with the legal/medical system is how we produce our professionals. By the time we're unleashed on the world, we just don't give a shit anymore.

For lawyers, that may be a requirement in order to function in the system.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Since I am running less it has been easy to get the core stuff in.  The trick will be when I start running more again.  Core work always seems to be the thing pushed to the side.  I can't let that happen even if it means taking a day off from running.

I totally relate to this.  I've been fitting in 40 minutes to 1 hour of physio including core work recently.  However I've been running very little.  I need to keep it all up (I think) to keep running pain-free and to be able to get away with building mileage.  However building mileage means I am tired or short of time and the physio and core work get forgotten.  I must try harder.

I also feel I'm benefitting from massage and release work (combined with the exercises I am doing).  I've ended up seeing the osteopath (a runner, triathlete and skier) once a week...I feel very lucky as I pay very little (he's a student working in a university-run centre) and it's 5 minutes walk from work.  75 miles is one heck of a journey to get treatment.

I am still not back to normal but I'm more pain-free than I have been since the end of 2011.  I ran for 65 minutes today with no spasms or pain.  That's a big improvement.  I feel unfit and out of running, but am feeling slightly more positive.  This is my first 7 days over 30 miles in quite some time.  I just hope this isn't another false hope.  I'm not sure if my shoe wear is more even or if my gait is improved, but I am stronger at my PT exercises so maybe that's helping a bit.  I guess all I can do is put in the time and effort and find out (and also keep control and not go overboard until I'm more out of the woods).

Kelly, sorry to hear all you're going through.  Sheesh, that's a lot for one person.  I hope they can sort the pacemaker issues.

Slo, I second the "don't stint on the physio" (however tedious it is).

Beef, that totally sucks.  I hope you can get through it and that it isn't as bad as you anticipate.

mbehr, I hope you get sorted.

Pam, how are things going?

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

I am still not back to normal but I'm more pain-free than I have been since the end of 2011.  I ran for 65 minutes today with no spasms or pain.  That's a big improvement.  I feel unfit and out of running, but am feeling slightly more positive.  This is my first 7 days over 30 miles in quite some time.  I just hope this isn't another false hope.  I'm not sure if my shoe wear is more even or if my gait is improved, but I am stronger at my PT exercises so maybe that's helping a bit.  I guess all I can do is put in the time and effort and find out (and also keep control and not go overboard until I'm more out of the woods).

Hops- you've been AWOL from the Hurtlocker lately, good to see you back.  Glad to hear that you're able to get out there again.  Keep doing the things you're doing and this won't turn into a false hope this time.

Just a dude.

I agree but it will be challenging.  This guy, who I like and is real effective in loosening things up, is 75 miles away from home.  Logistically it's tough to get to see him with any kind of frequency.  So I guess that means that I am going to have to stay diligent with the stretching and the core work.  Since I am running less it has been easy to get the core stuff in.  The trick will be when I start running more again.  Core work always seems to be the thing pushed to the side.  I can't let that happen even if it means taking a day off from running.

Can you look at the core work like a double? 

For me I have to have it all on a schedule. If I just looked at the core work as my morning workout and my running as an afternoon workout, I could probably maintain that for a while...

Just a thought...

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

Can you look at the core work like a double? 

For me I have to have it all on a schedule. If I just looked at the core work as my morning workout and my running as an afternoon workout, I could probably maintain that for a while...

+1.  I put my Achilles rehab and my ankle-sprain exercises into the training plan.  Even now, I schedule core work, hip stuff, Achilles stuff, and even starting putting drills in there.  Just having it on The Plan has made me much likelier to actually do it.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Prince of Fatness

Mornings are tough for me.  I am out the door around 5:30 AM.  Lunchtime is out as well.  Good news is that I get home by 5 PM at the latest on most days.  I usually change and go running right away.  After dinner seems to be the time slot that works best for core work.

Not at it at all. 

Hops- you've been AWOL from the Hurtlocker lately, good to see you back.  Glad to hear that you're able to get out there again.  Keep doing the things you're doing and this won't turn into a false hope this time.

+1  You are doing great Sarah! I know it's not as much as you like, but I'm pretty sure more than you thought you would be doing this "soon" ( I know it feels like forever. Keep up the great work Sarah! xxx

I'm doing better, I'm  not completely back to normal but things are progressing. Hopefully I'll be back to feeling normal by next week, at least I hope so. Thanks for asking Sarah!!  

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Just a dude.

Mornings are tough for me.  I am out the door around 5:30 AM.  Lunchtime is out as well.  Good news is that I get home by 5 PM at the latest on most days.  I usually change and go running right away.  After dinner seems to be the time slot that works best for core work.

Yikes... 12 hour days are rough.

I have 11's, but it's 7am to 6pm, so a morning session at 5:30 wasn't too bad.

Keep at it... There's sure to be a way to keep at it consistently...

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

Prince of Fatness

Yikes... 12 hour days are rough.

I have 11's, but it's 7am to 6pm, so a morning session at 5:30 wasn't too bad.

Keep at it... There's sure to be a way to keep at it consistently...

-Kelly

It's only an 8ish hour day most of the time.  I am usually home by 4:30.  The extra time is the hour drive each way.

Anyway I went down to the basement after dinner this evening and got the core work done.

Not at it at all. 

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Glad that your on the mend Hops!

steph  

an amazing likeness

You know, every time I skim the forum topics, this thread registers in my mind as "I'm going to hurl myself".

Carry on...

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Feeling the growl again

You know, every time I skim the forum topics, this thread registers in my mind as "I'm going to hurl myself".

Carry on...

No, that's the Beer Mile thread.  Ask rabutler.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Feeling the growl again

Speaking of hurting one's self...

I had a couple crappy-feeling runs in a row.  The second one it was unseasonably hot, but I got that dried-out feeling far too early in the run.  But I was not thirsty.

So when I got back I drank two large glasses of water anyways.  No need to pee.  Hmm.  Filled a gatorade bottle at my desk twice in 30min and drank that.  Still nothing.  When I got home, I basically drank as much water as I could tolerate over the course of the evening.  I did have a beer and a glass of wine, but drank 2 waters for each one.  Still no every-15-min need for the bathroom.

I continued this the next day...it took 48 hours to drink enough water to where I was clearly fully hydrated.  All of a sudden running felt a LOT easier yesterday.  I can't imagine how many pounds of water I must have been down.

Apparently one cannot live on caffeine and alcohol beverages alone.  Huh.  Who knew.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills