3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

50-miler racing (Read 833 times)

Feeling the growl again

Maybe experiment if possible.

DW hates carrying things and hates belts. Recently she got a water belt as an experiment, and wore it on a long run a couple days ago. Was talking about going back to dump it within half a mile. Several miles later she quit noticing or caring about it, and said it didn't bother her anymore. I was surprised by the adaptation.

I ordered the Nate and will give it a shot.  I have decided based on this weekend's performance and the fact that I will be out hiking and not training for most of the next 2 weeks, that I will not run the HM I had planned for 10/2.  Instead I will use that weekend to do a 30-miler...I will give it a go at 7:00 pace with fueling and the belt and see how it feels.  This should give me a very good idea of what to expect.  For certain, if the pace is way over the top I will know it.

I have gone from moderate diet to hardcore diet....I'm down around 3lbs from where I peaked to 156.  I typically lose weight while in Montana so that will help.  When I return I'll have almost a month to get under 150, should be doable.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Feeling the growl again

Epic fail on the 30-mile test run today.  I have been feeling generally lethargic and crappy all week, but forced in a decent volume of training (56 miles in 5 days).  Saturday I was concerned as the only running I got was the <0.1 miles while the treadmill got up to speed, then I cut it off as I felt like hell.  Despite adequate sleep, I slept away half the afternoon.

This morning I got out at dawn with all my fuel set up.  The first 4 miles were hell because I was trying out the Nathan double bottle holder fanny pack thing....yeah, that's not going to the race.  I hated the feel and it cost me 30-40sec/mile.  Ditched it at 4 miles, took a bit of fuel, and headed out on a 9-mile loop before coming back to fuel again.  I only made it 1.25 miles before I realized how bad and light-headed I felt, and turned and jogged home.  So 6.5 miles done of an intended 30.  I feel like going back to bed now.

It's times like these I wonder why I keep banging my head into the wall with this sport.  This fatigue issue is the roughest "injury" I've ever dealt with.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

That sucks. Any ideas what the problem may be? Is it thyroid related? Have you tried running with a handheld? The amphipod works ok for me. If you could have someone with a fresh one evry 10 miles that might work.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Feeling the growl again

That sucks. Any ideas what the problem may be? Is it thyroid related? Have you tried running with a handheld? The amphipod works ok for me. If you could have someone with a fresh one evry 10 miles that might work.

No idea, other than I only took my thyroid pill 1 day of the 12-ish I was on vacation as I just forgot every morning.  So I may be getting hit by that now.  A pot of coffee and an energy drink, and it's really hard to stay awake right now.

Perhaps I'll just switch to cider and Captain.

Handhelds slow me down too but not as bad as what I experienced this morning.  I will either go that route or, since this course is supposed to be pretty well supported, I'll just hit the aid stations really hard and run free in between with a handful of gels.

C-R

Epic fail on the 30-mile test run today.  I have been feeling generally lethargic and crappy all week, but forced in a decent volume of training (56 miles in 5 days).  Saturday I was concerned as the only running I got was the <0.1 miles while the treadmill got up to speed, then I cut it off as I felt like hell.  Despite adequate sleep, I slept away half the afternoon.

This morning I got out at dawn with all my fuel set up.  The first 4 miles were hell because I was trying out the Nathan double bottle holder fanny pack thing....yeah, that's not going to the race.  I hated the feel and it cost me 30-40sec/mile.  Ditched it at 4 miles, took a bit of fuel, and headed out on a 9-mile loop before coming back to fuel again.  I only made it 1.25 miles before I realized how bad and light-headed I felt, and turned and jogged home.  So 6.5 miles done of an intended 30.  I feel like going back to bed now.

It's times like these I wonder why I keep banging my head into the wall with this sport.  This fatigue issue is the roughest "injury" I've ever dealt with.

That is a set-back. Sounds like the thyroid thing again. Recoup and retry. I personally don't like the waist belt bottles and haven't tried the handhelds. Perhaps you can plan the drop areas to have liquid fuels in addition to aid stations and carry food/gels.

I'm with you on the crap runs. My short run today felt like hell.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Feeling the growl again

That is a set-back. Sounds like the thyroid thing again. Recoup and retry. I personally don't like the waist belt bottles and haven't tried the handhelds. Perhaps you can plan the drop areas to have liquid fuels in addition to aid stations and carry food/gels.

I'm with you on the crap runs. My short run today felt like hell.

I won't have crew throughout but I'm going to plan it to run mostly or all free-hand.  I'm the guy who can't even race with sunglasses on without getting pissed off at the annoyance.

After my last post i passed out for an hour.  Woke up, drank another cup and a half of coffee, now awake but lacking some focus ability.  Switched to cider and Captain.

The docs would be annoyed at me but since I skipped some pills I'm going to double up for a few days and see how that feels.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Hopefully a failure based on fatigue, which won't recur after you get recovered.

(FWIW, which isn't really anything as I'm just hobbyjogging to finish 50mi, I don't plan to run 30mi in training, myself. I'd be satisfied to get another long run day followed by long run day.)

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Hawt and sexy

Yes, Captain cider should help you focus on something; especially if it's hard cider.

I'm touching your pants.

I personally don't like the waist belt bottles and haven't tried the handhelds. Perhaps you can plan the drop areas to have liquid fuels in addition to aid stations and carry food/gels.

I use the Nike belt that has 4 6oz bottles.  They click in good and stable, and they don't slosh as you run.  I wear a very small belt and have it tight so that it stays at my hips (rather than ride at the waist).

I've tried the Nathan's but not the hand helds.  I'll likely buy more of the Nike carriers (if mine ever breaks).  I've been using it for 3+ years without any issues.

Spaniel, I hope you feel better soon.
                    Cheers,

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Feeling the growl again

Apparently 2 days of bad fatigue was just a preliminary strike by whatever virus showed itself via my sinuses last night.  Viruses suck but that's better than a sudden worsening of the mystery fatigue.

Next weekend I'll take a look at the aid station layout and talk to her about what sort of crewing would be reasonable.

C-R

Apparently 2 days of bad fatigue was just a preliminary strike by whatever virus showed itself via my sinuses last night.  Viruses suck but that's better than a sudden worsening of the mystery fatigue.

Next weekend I'll take a look at the aid station layout and talk to her about what sort of crewing would be reasonable.

Well that's a bit of a relief. Let's hope yours doesn't last as long as the one I have. 3 weeks and counting.

As the old man in Monty Python's "Search for the Holy Grail" said, "I'm not dead yet."

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Ostrich runner

Here are my Sixth Glass quadrupel fueled thoughts:

make the 50 miler a training run. You aren't trained to race, this is a different thing. Take the pressure off the race, allowing yourself to figure out fueling, gear, hydration, and all the exigencies of an ultra. Run a fast 50k or two. Take that knowledge into a spring 50 mile. Adapt the 50 to a 100 or a 24 hr. You probably have the legs and mentality to win some races, but you have to give yourself the chance to hurt yourself properly. Ultras are stupid, but apply the pain smartly.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Feeling the growl again

Here are my Sixth Glass quadrupel fueled thoughts:

make the 50 miler a training run. You aren't trained to race, this is a different thing. Take the pressure off the race, allowing yourself to figure out fueling, gear, hydration, and all the exigencies of an ultra. Run a fast 50k or two. Take that knowledge into a spring 50 mile. Adapt the 50 to a 100 or a 24 hr. You probably have the legs and mentality to win some races, but you have to give yourself the chance to hurt yourself properly. Ultras are stupid, but apply the pain smartly.

Stop trying to instill rationality and common sense into my stupidity fueled stunts.

No worries, I'm not taking this that seriously, but it's going to be a race to me or it's not worth doing.  I won't be awfully concerned if I end up running a slower pace than planned (I would really dislike a 2-hr death march) but I have to go quick enough to get a feel for where I am for the distance.

What the hell is that beef guy talking about?  It almost makes sense.  Spaniel, maybe the week out West is finally catching up to you.  You know, you probably didn't have enough Busch Light to fuel your needs and taking down Megatron took more out of you than you thought.  I'm with you on the belts- I don't like them.  I've used a hand-held in summer months and find that it really isn't any different than carrying the shirt.  It is annoying but it helps with the hydration.  Hopefully for your sake you'll hit a decent weather stretch and won't have too worry too much about heat issues.

Maybe the aid stations will be spaced decently enough that you can get by with a hand-held in between and fuel up appropriately at each station.

Feeling the growl again

Maybe the aid stations will be spaced decently enough that you can get by with a hand-held in between and fuel up appropriately at each station.

There's like 14 of them, so if there's an ultra that you can run without carrying water this is one of them.

If it's a hot morning at the end of October, I'm going to be majorly pissed.

No matter what, I'm sure I will give the experienced ultra folks here something to chuckle about.  I will be good for entertainment if nothing else.