3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Pro running discussion (Read 108 times)

Feeling the growl again

Finished.  What a great race.  I was hoping Rupp would gut it out mano-a-mano for the silver at the end, but spectacular nonetheless.

I like how they tried to claim the conditions were "cooler".  Low to mid 70s and 94% humidity?  That is freaking brutal to race in.  Those times are so more impressive to those of us who know what it is really like to race in those conditions.

The overall performance of our distance squad was superb.  It's such a change from 15-20 years ago.  Of even ten.  It used to be a huge deal to win ONE medal outside the sprints.

I just watched Coburn's bronze as well.  I can't believe the Kenyan didn't run through the line and gave up the WR.  Don't people know what the WR is in their own event???

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

kcam

I wonder if he hadn't run that 27 and change 10K 8 days earlier whether he could have made a run for silver.  I tend to think yes.

Feeling the growl again

I wonder if he hadn't run that 27 and change 10K 8 days earlier whether he could have made a run for silver.  I tend to think yes.

They debated that in the commentary, and it is an obvious question.  But he was a silver medalist in that event, and this was only his second marathon.  And the Olympic marathon has a history of being entirely unpredictable and not in a good way for the favorites.

So armchair quarterbacking is 20/20, but I can't blame him for doubling.  It does seem like the dual training may have sapped him of his kick in the 10K, and his strength to finish stronger in the marathon.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Can't vouch for the accuracy, but a quick search revealed this as Kipchoge's marathon record heading into that race...

2013 Hamburg 1 2:05:30
          2013 Berlin 2 2:04:05  
          2014 Rotterdam 1 2:05:00  
          2014 Chicago 1 2:04:11  
          2015 London 1 2:04:42  
          2015 Berlin 1 2:04:00  
          2016 London 1 2:03:05

That's the guy Rupp stayed glued to for most of that race. No wonder he couldn't quite pull it off, and pretty damn badass that he tried.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

I wonder how much of it was dual training. He seemed pretty focused on the marathon. Part of me was surprised that he even went for the 10k. It was pretty clear that he didnt have a great shot at a medal.

So armchair quarterbacking is 20/20, but I can't blame him for doubling.  It does seem like the dual training may have sapped him of his kick in the 10K, and his strength to finish stronger in the marathon.

And we run because we like it
            Through the broad bright land

Feeling the growl again

I'm still catching up on early rounds on DVR.  Just watched the women's 5K prelims.  I was disappointed that Alaya did so poorly in the final given her massive 10K record.  Not only must that have tired her, but she needlessly won her 5K prelim heat by 90-100m.  Curious strategy there.  If I were her, I'd have set the goal to qualify but NOT win the semi.

Feeling the growl again

I totally forgot to check the Berlin Marathon last weekend.  I'm very happy to see Bekele back and in a big way (2:03:03, 2nd all-time) after being snubbed for the Ethiopian Olympic team.

Insane race!

I wonder how fast he ran the last 200m.

Feeling the growl again

Insane race!

Thanks!  I'm definitely going to view parts of this when I have time.

Insane race!

I'm still comprehending that he averaged a 4:42 pace.  Great race!

Feeling the growl again

I'm still comprehending that he averaged a 4:42 pace.  Great race!

At my peak I could have stayed with him perhaps 2 miles…. :0

Prince of Fatness

At my peak I could have stayed with him perhaps 2 miles…. :0

Back when I was in shape even then I wondered if I could keep up with a world class marathoner for 100 yards.  Running those mile times for 26+ of them is mind boggling to me.

Not at it at all.