3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Who had a good workout this week? (Read 2359 times)

Feeling the growl again

So I tried doing a few strides after the run run today. Holy crap that sucked.  6:30 pace for 6 miles was waaayy easier. Felt like I was moving through thick mud.  It's a start though. I haven't done strides in a long time so I have to ease into it.

Heh.  So ironically you can kick my ass in a marathon, but I could take you over the short stuff.  That's funny right there, glad our bet is over a 5K. Big grin

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Heh.  So ironically you can kick my ass in a marathon, but I could take you over the short stuff.  That's funny right there, glad our bet is over a 5K. Big grin

I don't think there's any comparison against you in the marathon.  You got that one hands down.  The 5k, though, I have a chance there.  It might be the fact that other than the treadmill runs being around a 7 mpm pace, all my others runs have been at or below 6:30 pace.  I can see how some people tend to PR in the weeks following a marathon.  Once the quad pain wore off, the legs have felt good and the paces have been quicker than I would have expected.  It was fun while it lasted.

Feeling the growl again

I don't think there's any comparison against you in the marathon.  You got that one hands down.  

Perhaps PRs, but not current ability.  You just ran a 2:45, that's a high bar for me right now.  Back in March you did an 8 mile tempo run in 5:45 average and I was just happy to be sub-6 on mine.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

First track workout since I think last August. Something about being first on the track, in the just light enough to see dawn dark, in the drizzle turning to rain at the end that made it just a little more hurtlocker. Just a basic 10x400, but felt strong.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
          We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

First track workout since I think last August. Something about being first on the track, in the just light enough to see dawn dark, in the drizzle turning to rain at the end that made it just a little more hurtlocker. Just a basic 10x400, but felt strong.

Doing any kind of intervals in the weee hours of the morning is tough. Way to crank it out on the last one.

Just a dude.

Not really a workout, but I had a nice 14+ mile trail run this morning that was solid effort wise. But more importantly, it was fun and it was beautiful. Things lately have been feeling like a grind, but not today.

:-)

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

bhearn

Bunch of good workouts this week. Finally, I'm getting back to the mileage I need to be training at for Western States.

71 miles horizontally, 6.3 miles vertically (ascent + descent).

First speedwork in eons (just 8x400, but it's a start), plus two long days (15 & 20) with massive hills. Decent hills most days (all I have here is hilly trails).

If I can sustain this (and ideally peak over 80 mpw) I should be in good shape. Western States is in 7 weeks.

I should get some good heat training in this coming week -- we'll have record highs, days in the 90s.

Feeling the growl again

Nice Kelly.  Yesterday was the opposite for me, humidity arrived for the year.  Sad

Sounds like a really solid week Bob, miles/speed AND climb.  7 weeks is time to put together a solid race.

C-R

spaniel inspired me to get off my ass and run a little. So today was a 8 mi MP run. MP desired and not current fitness. So that's 8 miles in under 60. Got 8.2 in 58:44. Time to get to work on some fitness.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Feeling the growl again

spaniel inspired me to get off my ass and run a little. So today was a 8 mi MP run. MP desired and not current fitness. So that's 8 miles in under 60. Got 8.2 in 58:44. Time to get to work on some fitness.

Nice!

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Nice running C-R.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Just a dude.

Ok, I think my training and progress is working fairly well. I've been running the same course for my tempos. This is my progress:

DATE WEIGHT MILE 1 MILE 2 MILE 3 MILE 4
                          1/21 224 7:48 7:42 7:40 7:33
                          2/4 220 7:50 7:36 7:28 7:16
                          3/25 205 7:20 7:16 7:04 6:50
                          5/21 193 6:50 6:51 6:37 6:25

(I ran 5k races in the months I didn't do tempos.)

I was really happy with today's run. I was not really in the mood to do it, bit it worked out ok. Truth be told, I probably went a bit over the line on the last mile and got closer to time trial mode than tempo mode, but still I felt pretty strong.

Thanks!

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

Feeling the growl again

Whoa.  I missed that you have shed so much weight.  That's one heck of a progression!

Ok, I think my training and progress is working fairly well. I've been running the same course for my tempos. This is my progress:

(I ran 5k races in the months I didn't do tempos.)

I was really happy with today's run. I was not really in the mood to do it, bit it worked out ok. Truth be told, I probably went a bit over the line on the last mile and got closer to time trial mode than tempo mode, but still I felt pretty strong.

Thanks!

-Kelly

Wow, Kelly. That is some solid improvement. Congrats on sticking with it and am glad to see things are coming around well for you.

Walk-Jogger

Wow, Kelly. That is some solid improvement. Congrats on sticking with it and am glad to see things are coming around well for you.

+1 you're really coming along Kelly!

Retired &  Loving It