50 and over 5k and beyond

August Runs, Workouts and Excuses... (Read 11 times)

NH Runner

Monday, 8/2... rode the mtn bike 7 miles on the trail yesterday and just got back from a 4 mile trail run this morning.  Leg's wimped out on me the last day of July when I wanted to run 10 miles and turned back after a 1/2 mile.   Also can't find the 1/2 marathon I wanted to run in September, which is a shame 'cause I'm pretty sure I would have won...

And wanted to mention the mixed Olympic triathlon where teams consisting of 2 men and 2 women compete.  When it came down to the last run, the guy who won for his team ran a 4:30 pace!  After swimming and biking, who runs a 4:30 mile! 

dhuffman63

Trails

Did my 30 min...1.39 miles.

Monday, 8/2... rode the mtn bike 7 miles on the trail yesterday and just got back from a 4 mile trail run this morning.  Leg's wimped out on me the last day of July when I wanted to run 10 miles and turned back after a 1/2 mile.   Also can't find the 1/2 marathon I wanted to run in September, which is a shame 'cause I'm pretty sure I would have won...

And wanted to mention the mixed Olympic triathlon where teams consisting of 2 men and 2 women compete.  When it came down to the last run, the guy who won for his team ran a 4:30 pace!  After swimming and biking, who runs a 4:30 mile! 

NH:  haha!! pretty sure they don't want you to register, LOL!! good job on two day effort ...... 10 miles is still waiting for you, LOL! Legs too tired or body didn't feel like it? I watched the triathlon mixed relay ...... a new event this Olympic..... it's fast and exciting to watch I thought. After 300m swim, 8km cycle, 2km run ..... that's exhausting! I was thinking the same when the commentators mentioned the pace. Incredible!  We record the events and watch the games in the evenings. I really enjoy the competition and even though I don't have a clue on how/what the scoring for some sports take place, I appreciate the hard work and passion of the athletes. I always learn something new about a sport that I normally wouldn't watch. It was fun to watch the BMX freestyle and diving events among others.

Did my 30 min...1.39 miles.

Diane:  You are on your way!! YAY!! One step at a time. Will you do double ...... like a 30 min morning and a 30 min evening if/when your body feels like it? Are you still working from home?

Happy August!!  Thanks for starting the month NH.

Took me 2 days to recover from the garage sale Fri and Sat. LOL!!

FRI:  It was mostly DH's shop/garage stuff with a few sports equipment we don't use anymore .....like snowboards/boots, inline skates, golf clubs/bag (DH and niece's), some free weights and stand, extra ski poles, basketballs, volleyballs, softballs/bats, stadium seats, fishing poles. When we were raising my niece, she loved all kinds of sports. Of course, I was always ready to get her to be active. Gosh, ppl were wanting to drive in to look a WHOLE HOUR before we started. That was annoying!! Fri was the busiest. Our neighbor was sending ppl to us and we sent them to the one up the road from us (in our neighborhood). The whole day was warm, humid and still some smoke in the air. I wore my mask the whole day, I'm not taking any chances. We ordered pizza for dinner.

SAT:  slow start, and so were we. Less smoke so I got in a short 3 miler w Bones at 5:45 am!! yes, I did, haha!!  The day was warm again, less humid with a nice breeze. I wore my mask again all day. DH found more stuff from the shop and they sold pretty quickly. We asked ppl if they are checking out other yard sales and the answer would be "something to do on a nice day."

REALLY?!?   Driving around ALL DAY to yard sales?!? Good lord. I wanted to 'close up shop' at noon but DH kept holding out for stranglers...... and those were the ones who bought more stuff! That surprised me, haha! We did great overall, another surprise to me. DH all pumped up with a "we should do this more often." 

SUN:  4 miles w Bones. It was cooler so we didn't leave till around 6:30 am. DH drove to Grand Forks ND for a car show. I spent the day packing while catching up on the games during the long 'breaks,' haha!! .

Mon (today): 5 miles w Bones. After breakfast, we went into town straight to the bank to deposit the wad of $$$ from the yard sale, LOL!! 

dhuffman63

Trails

AZ, no I doubt I'll be doing doubles anytime soon...I still get so very tired but I'm trying to do at least the 30 min a day.  I'm actually back working from home.  I had gone back to the office in April but cases are out of control here and half our office is unvaccinated including the asshole I share an office with.  I'm so very, very angry with people who can but won't get vaccinated...I'm hoping Darwin steps in and removes those people from the gene pool.

dhuffman63

Trails

1.41 and 30 min today.  So far other than the normal tiredness I have every day due to my anemia I feel good with no niggles.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I'm back home, and back to my usual routine.  I've been late getting to bed, partly due to babysitting, and partly due to evening work requirements - that means my morning runs have been short.  They've been wonderfully cool, however. It was 54F today, and my legs felt great. Last week's two 10 mile runs up the mountain may be pretty good training.  Speaking of last week, I posted a few more photos in the July thread. Take a look:

https://www.runningahead.com/groups/50o5K/forum/Post/32df3df1d8ca429d96887ee3ef979479#focus

Altair - It's great to hear that you're building up your mileage again. Not great to hear that work is still beating you down. Insist on your health (mental and physical) taking priority over your work. Your garden sounds great!  And, banjo!!  Fun!  Let us know how it's going.  Thanks for another group of nice pics. It is nice when you're running for the scenery as much as anything. I have hiked and run in places known to have both bears and mountain lions.  I'm pretty confident they aren't out looking for human prey. Sure hope I'm right.

az - Sorry your achilless have been squawking. Glad you didn't get caught in the downpour/hail! Keep watching out for tornadoes and bears (as if the floods and wildfires aren't enough)!  There are Xmas lights recycling boxes around, but only around Christmas time. It's clear you love garage sales Big grin.  Same here.  Last time we had one, we got enough cash for pizza that night, and not much more.  DW is not the greatest businesswoman.  If someone is ready to pay $1 for something, DW sells it for a quarter, or says it's free.  Getting rid of stuff is her priority. Smile  The MoPac is indeed an east-west trail, between Omaha and Lincoln.  There are a few races run on it, notably the Market to Market Relay - 72 miles with 6 - 8 runners on a team.  I bike on the trail as well.  It also runs into town and connects with several other trails, including one that goes south into Kansas.  For my October marathon, I'm using the RA training plan feature. I think you can see it on my calendar.

Rich - So glad that running is fun for you again, after a rough spell.  Seems that both you and Altair can't get quite enough yard work, so you do your neighbors' as well. Good deal for them, for sure.

Di - You're doing a great job of keeping up some regular running.  Stay with it!

AZ, no I doubt I'll be doing doubles anytime soon...I still get so very tired but I'm trying to do at least the 30 min a day.  I'm actually back working from home.  I had gone back to the office in April but cases are out of control here and half our office is unvaccinated including the asshole I share an office with.  I'm so very, very angry with people who can but won't get vaccinated...I'm hoping Darwin steps in and removes those people from the gene pool.

Diane: well, not for awhile I'm sure but you'll be getting stronger over time with the 30 min walks. I remember that you mentioned having to work from home again due to the latest uptick in infection cases. Everybody wants to get back to 'normal life' but some don't want to be part of the solution. Their argument just doesn't have any substance IMO. Some don't hear how ridiculous they sound. We had a person at our yard sale spouting anti-vaccine and anti-5G towers sound bites as she was "looking" ......she did the same with our neighbor. Didn't surprise us that ppl like her are proselytizing such misinformation by hitting yard sales every week, good grief!!

You have the focus to get you walks in, WTG!!

NH Runner

Tuesday, 8/3... just running by feel lately and did it again today.  Started down the railtrail with no distance in mind, I'd just keep running as long as my legs felt ok.  As it was, I decided to turn back at 4 for 8 miles total.  Legs were a little sore, but not bad.

AZ... you'll have to do better at using your imagination, there's lots of ways to win in a footrace.  They have raffles and drawings for all sorts of goodies after the race and I had my heart set on winning a nice water glass.   I bailed on the 10 miler the other day when my legs felt sore.  Probably has to do with ramping up mileage a bit and running strides so fast I was just a blur.  Congrats. getting in a couple runs while learning the ropes as a yard saler.  One mistake you made was putting your money from the sales in the bank, serious yard salers take that money, hit more yard sales and buy more junk! lol

Led... it took me a minute to spot the fawn in the last picture from July's post, you did well to see it!   The railtrail looks awesome and like mine, has a steady climb in one direction and descent in the other.  Sounds like you had a great time with family and with running the trail, so congrats. for that!  I take care of my neighbor's lot as a favor, the guy immigrated from China a dozen years ago and was working in a lab at Dartmouth Hitchcock when he bought the property, but has since moved to Boston to escape the harassment from being Chinese in the era of Covid 19.  Apparently there's a larger Chinese population in Boston where he feels more comfortable.  What a disgrace to harass a guy like him, Asians are a wonderful, quiet, polite people.

Di... keep plugging Di and when you get the urge to be pissed, just pull out a picture of your grandbaby and let it warm your heart...

Led: I'm assuming it was a solo trip to SD? Did you leave Sage home? Sounds like you had an enjoyable time with your family. Did you stay with a family who lives there?

A couple of years ago:  A week after running the Jemez Mt trail run (NM), I drove and camped along the way to Deadwood, SD where I ran the Mikelson Trail marathon. I posted my experience with each of the trail runs. I did not like the Mikelson trail race, flat and boring, felt like a road marathon except for maybe 2 miles. But the scenery was absolutely gorgeous and it rained for about 5 miles of it during the race which I didn't mind at all. It was one of the stupid things I did, running back to back but I was set on finishing. It was not pretty, LOL!

It's always nice to have a break and run in different places. A bonus when family/friends are around. Love the photos! I miss anything that resembles a mountain, it's so flat here in northern MN. oh, yep, I see the fawn with the ears!  haha!  You got some good mileage there. Feel any difference due to elevation change?

RE: garage sale, so glad it's over!! I can't believe ppl do this every week. There were items we didn't bargain prices with, and they end up buying it anyway. But I was surprised that not many wanted to bargain.

RE: I like the X-mas lights recycling boxes, bummer it's only after the holidays. I should look for that this year.

RE: achilles - that cleared up in after a day of foam rolling and massaging. I blame it on the shoes and I've change shoes since then.

Oh, didn't you mentioned you're running a relay? Which leg? and how many runners?

NH:  haha!! Love it! It's always great to start reading a post with a couple of chuckles!! I love it when instead of a medal, a beverage glass is given to add to my set. They are functional and practical. That's what Aravapai Trail running series is known for as far as swag is concerned.

Good job on the 8 miler. At some point, I need to get in some 6+ miles. I think the 'lack of motivation' is due to being bored with running on flat dirt roads. I don't really want to drive to the state park so early in the morning. Yea, just whining about it won't make it any better, haha!

Tues (today):  no run. Thick smoke this morning again. According to meterologists, it's either hot temps/high humidity OR cool temps and smoky (from Canadian fires/west coast). Nice to have cool temps in the 50s early morning but not healthy to run in the smoke-filled air. Bones doesn't like it either.

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Still doing a lot of overtime at work! Saturday I worked from 7 am until 9:30 pm, the evening shift was at another group home and was easy since my job was to take an individual to see a movie (Jungle Cruise). Monday I had CPR training and it was a short day starting at 8 am and the training was over by 12:30 pm, they cut out some of the contact things we usually due to limit possible Covid spread. Tuesday I went into work at the usual 2:30 pm and worked through the night to 6:30 am this morning. Got less than 5 hours sleep and got up around 11 am to call off for today. Was supposed to go in at 2:30 pm today, but knew there are two opening for the night shift and I would be the one stuck again. Now I was going to go out and mow the lawn now, but the battery for the electric lawnmower needs charging, so I'll work on catching up with my posts!

After my training Monday I did some mowing, the short life of the battery charge means I have to just do a section of my yard at a time. Then, at 4:45 I drove about a mile away to run the length of Country Club road and back, it was sunny, 70 degrees with some breezes. After the first mile the next 3/4 a mile has a 160 foot climb to where the road ends at a golf course. So about 3 1/2 miles total.

Yesterday I had to drop my car off again at the service station at 8 am, this time for a wheel bearing. Walked back home and then went for a run before breakfast at 8:40 am, sunny, but a cool 61 degrees. I ran the same 3.8 mile route I did 4 times last month, but in the opposite direction. I was a few seconds slower on it than last Thursday's time.

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
                          Get up, get out, get out of the door!

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Now for catching up with comments, going all the way back to July 21st posts! I meant to keep up with this, but never seemed to have the time!

az - Although I am already running the distance and doing the hill for the 5K I don't really feel prepared and the race is just a few weeks away. I'm sure there will be other 5Ks in this area throughout the fall. I almost always carry my flip phone in case of emergencies, but don't bother with a water bottle on the shorter runs, or even distant runs if it is cold outside. The 50 mile ultra your RB did looks very scenic! Interesting that we are both not so far from one of the great lakes although you are almost halfway across the country from me! Also, that you have a "Rochester" in MN as well. Humidity can make even cool temperatures feel uncomfortable and best not to run when that smoke creates bad air quality. Here we still get red sunsets, but except for the pollen effecting my allergies the air has not been that bad. Even if not entered your DH got to show off his car just parking it nearby the show! Watch out for those bears! Nice to finish a run before the heavy rains and hail stings when it hits bare skin! Good you made some dough and cleared out junk on the yard sale. Yeah, there are people who check the ads and spend a day going to all the local yard sales! I think I may have done that a few times myself, never know what precious treasure you may find!

Led - The Conqueror challenge programs your DW is doing have some nice medals and seeing virtual views sounds fun, but not something I'd pay for myself, but whatever motivates exercise! Fantastic you have all those races planned, wish I was ready for another marathon! Yeah, I did see a few posts Ray made in other forums, hope he does well in recovering if he has an injury. The ballet pictures are amazing, how they stand on the tips of the toes and those high leaps! Glad you had a nice visit with your family in SD. Enjoyed the photos with the pine trees and rocky mountains! The misty view of the crag is very scenic, makes me wish to travel more and run different types of landscapes! I think most large animals stay away from populated areas. I've never seen a wild bear or mountain lion, although a bear was spotted crossing the street about a mile away from my house a few years ago! Like a tornado they are something I've never seen but would like to see sometime, preferably from a safe distance! A fellow worker who teaches guitar showed me an easy chord to practice on my banjo, sounds like it has most of the notes to "Oh Susanna" so maybe I can figure out how to play that song, that is if I ever have spare time! The strip of land in front of the woods I mow actually belongs to the apartment buildings on the other side of the gate that ends my street. They were mowing it at one time, but seem to have stopped mowing some areas of their property. I just like it to look nice so I do a little extra work. I do like working outside.

OK, my battery is charged, speaking of yard work, time to mow some more! Catch up with the rest of you later!

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
                            Get up, get out, get out of the door!

dhuffman63

Trails

Another 30 min walk on the TM...1.41 miles.

Another 30 min walk on the TM...1.41 miles.

Diane: Keeping time instead of miles can be energizing...... but it looks like it is working as you are gaining some miles, however small. Every bit counts! woohoo!!