50 and over 5k and beyond

February 2017 Runs and Workouts (Read 14 times)

Art in AZ

Another 3 miles this morning.

Altair - I have not been through Maricopa in a long time. I'll have to remember to look for that next time we drive to San Diego. I have never done a full marathon but have seen the training miles others have put in. I have done quite a few halfs and my longest training run was 15 miles. During the time when I did 3 close together my weekly mileage hit a max of 41. Usual was in the upper 30s. I can see getting into the 60 mile range when you get towards the end of your training.

Chantilly - Good combination of exercising yesterday. While my favorite music is rock, I enjoy some of the other types of music. My only condition is that it has a good beat for when I run. The trouble I have when listening to the radio is I hear a good song but the station never tells you the title or singer. Streaming music is nice because I can see the name and title and add it to my collection if I want. Do you have a mileage goal in mind yet for the 24-hour race?

Rich - Anything to help your foot heal would be a plus. When I see the young ones dressed lightly like that I have trouble remembering if I did the same thing. Too far back to remember or care now. I just know I get cold at these temps. What you need now is a flame thrower. But then carrying around the tanks would cause a back problem. 

mfender - Welcome to the group. With a practice time like that you should do well in the 5K. Coming back after an injury can be frustrating but having a race to tun aids in the motivation.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

justrundan

mfender- welcome to the group.  look forward to your 5K race report and time!

Chantilly- wow, a 24 hour race.  That must take a different sort of plan all together!

AZ- have you left the frozen lands of northern MN yet.  Safe travels.

Art- this time of year does lend itself to taking it easy doesn't it.  You will be hard at it soon!

Rich-  when you ride the cycle does it bother your heel at all?

4+ miles on TM while watching SuperBowl Sunday evening.  mix of slow run, faster run and walking.

Dan

Thanks Rich -

I'm not in the cold - I'm in South Texas, and even by our standards, it's pretty warm for Feb.  I ran in the mist yesterday morning to avoid running in the 87-degree weather in the afternoon!

I was told quite a few different things about the plantar faciatis.  The athletic trainer at the school where I teach said most people struggle with it constantly once they have it - that it would probably just be a nagging thing for me from now on.  Not what I wanted to hear.  The orthopedic dr I saw seemed to think it would get better over time, but didn't really give me a timeline.  It seemed like it took forever to me - I only took about 2-3 weeks off for a stress fracture in Feb last year, so 4 1/2 months was tough to take.  (I think I was getting pretty cranky by the end of it not being able to run.)

I'm impressed with you getting out in the snow and an injury.  Nice stuff!

Thanks Art and Dan - It seems like it has been forever since I've raced, and you're right - just having registered for the race gives me a lot more motivation to push my pace every time I'm out.

Stay warm everyone!

Chantilly75

NH Runner Did you get something like a Strassburg sock?  People wear those at night for plantar fasciitis. www.thesock.com

Good upper body w/o with the tryke. Are you wearing heavy boots with the snowblower? Are they rubbing on your heel?

mfender Welcome to the forum. Hope your recovery from PF continues well for you and you have a good 5Km.

Art in AZ Are you all done with your renovations? Do you have anything from your garden lately? I like rock music, too, but today was mostly soul and funk..can't seem to get out of the '70's...

My goal is 70 miles and will use a run/walk method for as long as I can. (PB is 66.14 miles)

justrundan Nice run on the treadmill. Did you enjoy the game?

My training for an ultra is not much different than for a marathon.  I try to spend as much time being active as I can...run, walk, bike, mow lawn, laundry, snow shovel, etc.

6 miles yesterday

13 mile run on the track

10 minutes walking

1 mile run

10 minutes stationary bike

1 mile run

20 minutes walking.

25 minutes snow shovelling.  -40F windchill here, but sunny and...it's a dry cold!...LOL

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Wednesday, 2/8... no workout today, other than wrestling with a 300 pound behemoth I use for plowing snow off the driveway.   Most people use shovels or snow blowers or hire someone with a pick-up and a plow to clear the snow, not me, I use a walk behind tractor made 60+ years ago by a company that's been out of business for 50 years.     Anyway, we got 4 or 5 inches of snow, then it switched to rain and turned the snow into a water soaked slush that was really heavy.

Art... that flame thrower would have come in handy today...lol  There's always tomorrow though, we're forecast for another 6 inches...lol

Dan... you're asking me about riding the bike trainer, right?   The answer is yes, it bothers when I ride.   It also bothers when I XC ski and if I push with my legs when I'm rowing the tryke.    The action your ankle goes through when you push off while running is what I have to be mindful of.   The 2 walks I just did with a brace limiting the range of motion worked great, basically increasing circulation without aggravating my heel.    But... wrestling with my antique snowplow today undid all that good work in no time at all...lol   I'm on the right track with the brace, I just need ma nature to knock it off with the snow...lol

mfender... here's bit of advice that worked to get rid of Plantar Fasciitis for me and a couple of people who were struggling with it as well.    When you get up in the morning, have a pair of running shoes beside the bed so before you stand, you put your feet into the shoes.   Those first few steps in the morning are so painful because they're tearing loose the healing in your arch that took place while you slept.    Putting your feet in a cushioned shoe and 'gingerly' taking those first few steps in the morning will end the cycle of tearing apart every morning what your body healed every night.   If I feel the symptoms of P.F. coming on, the first thing I do is what I just explained, so far, it's worked every time.    Something to keep in mind if P.F strikes again...

Chantilly... you must be hard as a rock, nice workout today!   Yes, what I bought is similar to a Strassburg sock.   The idea is to limit how much my foot's allowed to move during the course of the day.   Like I was telling Dan, it's a great idea, just don't try wrestling with a 300 pound snow plow...lol

Chantilly75

NH Runner It must be hard work to use that old machine and then the snow is heavy, to boot!  Our snow is dry and fairly light. Good to hear that the brace device was helping you.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

Chantily - Thanks.  And those miles you're logging!  Wow!  Just wow!

Rich - That makes sense.  Now that I know what PF feels like when it's coming on, I'll try to be a little better about listening to my body if it starts coming back.  I'll definitely give what worked for you a try.

3.25 miles this morning on the track in more typical 50-degree weather.

Have a great day everyone!

rmcj001

Can't believe so much time has passed...Thought I better send a status update since I'll be out of country for the next almost 2 weeks.

mfender - Welcome to the group!

Altair - Welcome back! BQ is a journey, enjoy the journey! You're going to learn a lot! Since it has been a while since you've run a marathon I'm just going to say you may or may not BQ on your first attempt, odds are you won't. It took me 3 tries and so much depends on the course and the conditions on the day of the race. I run more races then average to try and normalize race day jitters. If you're on the edge, everything has to break your way, so plan for more then 1 attempt and use plan things out with the long view in mind.  I would also recommend reading up on training, I liked the "Hanson's Marathon Method" - had good explanations on what each type of run was trying to do.

Chantilly - 24 hour race? You have my admiration. Not sure I understand the allure of even the marathon...

Az - Good to see you're running again! It's been very wet here, most places are well over 100% for yearly totals around here. Oroville Dam is looking a little precarious - the spillway has some damage and it is nearly full. Lots of mudslides, road closures, trees falling and flooding. DW and I are doing well, just very busy.

Art - Getting the runs in is important.  Sounds like your weather is almost ideal right now. Making up for all that summertime heat.

Rich - You must be going a little stir crazy. Hoping you can heal quickly.

Dan - Running with DW, what a treat! Mine won't run with me anymore - it bugs her if I stay with her...

Only did 148 miles in month of January. 50 miles last week and doubt I'll get 40 in this week with all the traveling. I'll just have to suck it up and plan for a good end to February and March.  Boston is only about 9 weeks away!

Ray

NH Runner

Thursday. 2/9... we had a Nor' Easter roll through here today and drop close to a foot of fresh snow, so I was out plowing again...lol   Temp was in the low 20's, but once the storm got past us, the counterclockwise winds pulled cold Canadian air down over us and the temp is sitting on 12 degrees as I type.    I got on the treadmill a while ago with my foot brace in place and walked a couple of miles at a decent clip.   Threw in a few short jogs as well to test my heel, but didn't push my luck.   Not much, but better than nothing.

Chantilly... your dry powdery snow is why I got rid of my snow blower, running that thing when the wind's blowing guarantees you'll be covered with snow in no time...lol    The brace does help quite a bit, just hoping to be running by spring at this point...

pfender... yeah, we can't have too much information when we're dealing with an injury? lol   Texas, eh?   I've got a nephew from Austin who's a transplant from California.   From what I gather on the news, Austin isn't typical of the rest of Texas...lol     You're doing well getting ready for your 5K, the first race if the year here is a 5K that's coming up in early March.   I'd hoped to run it, but it's not looking good.

ray... out of the country for almost 2 weeks?   If it's some place warm, stop by and pick me up on your way through, I could use a break from all this winter.   Your mileage is a little low for you, but more than adequate for most of us.    And yeah, I'm a little antsy from wanting to run, but trying hard to be patient...

Art in AZ

5 miles this morning plus a little exercise. Weather is getting more to my liking.

Dan - Were your faster jogs during the runs or the passes? That's one way to get some exercise while watching TV.

Chantilly - I hope I.m done with the renovations for a while. One of the gates need staining again but that will be easy compared to doing all the flooring work. Picked the last of the first planting of broccoli and cauliflower last week. The heads were huge so steamed it all and put most of it in the freezer to eat later. Last planting should be ready in a couple of weeks. Also got some peas, beets, radishes and lettuce. Made for a decent salad. With the weather warming it's getting ready to start Spring planting. Nice workout there.

Rich - Too bad the weather has been cooperating. I can imagine trying to push that beast around. Don't miss that weather at all.

mfender - Those temps sound like the morning temps here this morning

Ray - I've seen the weather there on the news and the amount of rain you are getting. It certainly helps with the drought though. But I think everyone would have liked it better if it was stretched out over another month or so.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Hello all!  7 miles this morning in what I consider perfect conditions - overcast, calm and 56-degrees.  That's the kind of weather I hope for on race days!

Rich - I can't even imagine what it must be like dealing with the snow constantly.  Hang in there - spring is coming.  Eventually.  And yes, Austin is a little "different".  But a great running community there, and some fantastic places to run.

Ray - 148 miles would be a record for me if I combine January and February!  I'm joining the forum late, so everyone else probably already knows... are you Boston-Qualified for this year?

Art - you and I get to enjoy this winter weather, but we pay for it in July, don't we? 

Have a great day everyone!

Mark

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Hello everybody! I finished last week with close to five miles Sat. and close to 4 Sunday for a week total of about 35 ½ miles. I will not try another 40 mile week for a while. This week my runs were about 9 on Monday, 8 Tuesday and my long run of 12 miles Thursday. Thursday was 23 degrees and it felt warm enough until it got windy up on the hills with the cleared fields around me. I was running into the wind for several miles and got cold and my face was stinging. It was better when I turned around and the wind was at my back. Now last year I did not do this run until early June so I am several months ahead of where I was in 2016. My pace was 13:59, a bit slowed by the hills I climbed but better than last year’s pace for this course. Legs very sore, but recovered enough for a 2.46 recovery run today. I expected to be inside from heavy snowfall today, but nothing so far. If I do about 4 more miles by Sunday I will have another 35 mile week.

Chantilly – Impressive that you will try for 70 miles in a 24 hour race! I’ve never done more than Marathon distance. I had some thoughts of getting up to a 29 mile run as part of my training, but was told it was not a good idea.  I sometimes listen to music when I am on a country road away from traffic. Jazz is my preferred style, but recently purchased some soul music CDs. I like the way you do runs, a walk and a bike ride all in the same day. I must try to be more flexible in my workouts

Rich – I had to look up what a “Nordic Walk” is, looks like a good whole body workout. The Tryke, is that like a rowing machine that moves? I’m glad you found something to help your heel. I can see how it can be a strain to clear all the snow.  So far in upstate western NY there has been no heavy snow and the ground is mostly clear.

Mfender – Some fast pace runs, looks like you will be in good shape for your 5K! I ran my first full Marathon back in ’96 and half way through developed a pain in the mid sole of my left foot. It must have been the heavy impact downhill running which I had not prepared for. I decided to keep going, slowed down and ran on the grass strip alongside the road and was able to finish. I had a bruised area mid arch and it must have been some form of plantar fasciitis. I think it was several months before I was running again. It does not usually bother me anymore, although it felt a tiny bit sore after yesterday’s long run.

Dan – I’ve never had a treadmill, but it would be cool to exercise and watch TV at the same time! I have little interest in football, but they had the Super bowl on at work and it was interesting to see the Patriots catch up when they were so far behind!

Art – A full marathon does take a lot of training but a half is quite an accomplishment too! I’m jealous about the garden, too cold here right now! But I will need to start some seedlings indoors soon.

Ray- Some nice millage and good luck with the Boston in 9 weeks! I understand that I may not get the BQ the first time. I have never done a marathon at the pace I would need, my best ever time being 4:10:44 back in ’98. However, back in ’95 I did a half in 1:44:36 and 5 mile race at a 7:23 pace. My full marathon last Sept. was at sub 10 minute pace and it involved some steep hills. My planned race is mostly flat and a 9:20 pace would finish in 4 hours 5 minutes, five minutes below what I expect the BQ for my age bracket will be. I figure I should try to be a bit faster than that to allow for delays due to crowding at the start, slowing for water or bathroom breaks, perhaps try to train for 9 minute mile pace which would be considered an easy jog for many runners. The more information I have is better and I will look into the Hanson’s plan.

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
                          Get up, get out, get out of the door!

Art in AZ

Another 5 miles this morning around the neighborhood.

mfender - The weather was nice today but will cool off a few degrees. Yes, the weather during the summer can be a challenge at times.

Altair - Nice weekly mileage. Having a garden is one of the benefits of living in this part of Arizona this time of the year.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

NH Runner

Friday, 2/10... big doin's at the bird feeder today, a couple of very large wild turkey gobblers showed to clean up what I throw on the ground for the squirrels and ground feeders.   I've a feeling they're having trouble finding food in the woods, the 4 inches of snow we got the other day that turned to rain, then froze solid over night is bad, there's no way these birds can dig down through that to find food.    They're messy, but it's kind' a fun to have 'em show up.   30 minutes walking on the treadmill and final clean up after yesterday's storm was my only workouts for the day.

Art... here's a youtube video of a machine similar to mine plowing snow... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQYl4paR-Cc  Obviously, the thing runs under it's own power, so I'm not pushing it, but turning it around, pushing down on the handlebars to lift the plow, backing it up going uphill and just manhandling it to get it to go where you want is workout.   It's actually kind' a fun to use.     You're getting in some decent runs for a guy running in such cold weather...

mfender... nice run yesterday!   Winter's a pain, but to be honest, I love the four seasons.   We're getting hammered lately with snow, but over-all, Winter's been pretty mild this year   I don't know if you've seen me mention it, but there's a couple dog sled teams that train on the same railtrail that I use.   Not everyone can say that, eh?    When I'm healthy, I XC ski, run and snowshoe this time of year, so it's not all bad.    BTW, there's another Nor'easter forecast for us tomorrow into Monday, we're predicted to get between 12 and 18 inches.  Yikes! lol

Altair5... your training's going well, eh?  Another solid week in the books.   Ever notice that the wind at your back doesn't help your pace as much as the wind in your face slows you down? lol     Nordic walking is very similar to XC skiing and adds another element to walking during the summer.   Actually a nice alternative to running sometimes.   The Tryke's a contraption I built from a couple of kid's bikes.   I wanted an upper body workout on days when I'm not running and the tryke's worked out great.   You propel it by rowing and both push and pull to make it go.   I ride it for a mile with palms up, then turn palms down for the next, alternating which muscles I'm using.   It works your arms, shoulders, back, muscles between your ribs and abs and really improved my overall fitness.   My avatar is a picture of it I took last year.   People's reaction when they see it going down the road is priceless...lol   BTW, I can't believe you've still got bare ground, are you in farm country over there?

Art in AZ

6 miles this morning before I started the day. Now that I got the shopping and errands finished it's time for lunch. Trying to decide what to have.

Rich - If you keep feeding the wild turkeys maybe they will hang around until Thanksgiving. You won't have to work so hard when the time comes. Think of it as having dinner delivered to your door. The weather has warmed up some the past couple of days but is expected to drop down this week. It's still cool in the early morning though. And I feel more driven to get out and run.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ